Threads [ Previous | Next ]
lalit j
Developing Hello World JSF Protlet.
July 17, 2008 1:58 AM
Answer

lalit j

Recent Posts

Hi,

I want to develop a sample hello world JSF portlet in liferay with or without ICEFaces.

Can anybody help me in this.I need it very urgently.

TIA.
Lari Tuominen
RE: Developing Hello World JSF Protlet.
July 17, 2008 1:42 PM
Answer

Lari Tuominen

Recent Posts

Hi,

Check for instance sample-icefaces-jsf-1.2-sun-facelets-portlet-5.0.0.1.war that Neil Griffin has written from liferay plugin repository - can be found from liferay's web pages.

Also for development, check liferay plugin sdk

- Lari
lalit j
July 17, 2008 9:43 PM
Answer

lalit j

Recent Posts

Lari Antero Tuominen:
Hi,

Check for instance sample-icefaces-jsf-1.2-sun-facelets-portlet-5.0.0.1.war that Neil Griffin has written from liferay plugin repository - can be found from liferay's web pages.

Also for development, check liferay plugin sdk

- Lari

Hi Lari

Thanks for help.i am new to LIferay and using LIferay 4.4.2 on "JBoss-Tomcat 4.2-5.0" in EXT environment.Can you elaborate how to go ahead with this combination as i want to develop and deploy a sample JSF portlet in EXT environment as i want to test ICEFaces using JSF portlet.Can i do it?Also i tried to deploy some sample JSF portlets but getting piles of errors.i am a bit confused??
Also can you tell me whether portlets in LIferay are JSR168 based or these are non-JSR168 portlets but liferay supports JSR168 portlets so we can develop and deploy JSR168 based portlets.

TIA
Lari Tuominen
July 18, 2008 1:02 PM
Answer

Lari Tuominen

Recent Posts

Hi,

As far as I know Liferay portlets are JSR 168 based. If you don't need to make modifications to Liferay source code I strongly suggest that use Liferay plugin SDK for portlet development. This is how I started.

1. Downloaded the plugins SDK from downloads section
2. Check instructions from this page to development http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/1071674/Plugins+SDK and from portlet development guide http://content.liferay.com/4.2/doc/devel/liferay_4_portlet_development_guide/onepage/
3. Get some JSF based portlet from liferay repository http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group%20id=49260
4. Once you have generated a portlet (phase 2), you will notice that liferay plugins follow the same directory structure as the one that you obtained by running the ant script (phase 2).
5. Replace the directories and files from your development portlet with the ones from liferay repository.
6. Now when you deploy your portlet (ant script is included in your portlet once you have generated it (phase 2)), you have developed jsf based portlet to your liferay installation.

In other words if you only need to develop portlet based on JSF you don't need the extension environment. Liferay plugins SDK is meant for that (It contains ready made ant scripts, etc. for portlet and theme development). Just generate your first portlet and replace the contents with the one that contains JSF support/components) and deploy it.

BTW. I strongly suggest using liferay auto-deploy feature - You can find more information on liferay's developer documentation.

If you have Liferay up and running you can also check for plugins installer portlet and install some JSF based portlet. Once you install it, it will appear into your JBOSS deploy dir. You can check the directory structure, files etc. from there.

Hope this helps at least a bit!

- Lari