Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
David H Nebinger
RE: ThreadLocal problem
January 19, 2012 6:36 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

How does that prevent Liferay from starting back up? The failures are common in shutdown, I see a lot of those as well as exceptions related to how it's shutting down the Lucene threads, but those have never prevented Liferay from starting back up...
Rochad Tlusty
January 19, 2012 7:22 AM
Answer

Rochad Tlusty

Recent Posts

The application starts back up but does not run properly. This is the stack trace for the application opening:

09:11:26,608 WARN [ActiveManagementCoordinator:56] A C3P0Registry mbean is already registered. This probably means that an application using c3p0 was undeployed, but not all PooledDataSources were closed prior to undeployment. This may lead to resource leaks over time. Please take care to close all PooledDataSources.
09:11:27,676 INFO [DialectDetector:80] Determine dialect for MySQL 5
09:11:27,720 INFO [DialectDetector:145] Found dialect org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect
Jan 19, 2012 9:11:33 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader loadClass
INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load org.jruby.util.WeakIdentityHashMap. The eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1531)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1491)
at org.jruby.runtime.ObjectSpace.<init>(ObjectSpace.java:60)
at org.jruby.Ruby.<init>(Ruby.java:3904)
at org.jruby.Ruby.newInstance(Ruby.java:185)
at org.jruby.embed.internal.LocalContext.getThreadSafeRuntime(LocalContext.java:69)
at org.jruby.embed.internal.ThreadSafeLocalContextProvider.getRuntime(ThreadSafeLocalContextProvider.java:61)
at org.jruby.embed.ScriptingContainer.terminate(ScriptingContainer.java:1721)
at org.jruby.embed.ScriptingContainer.finalize(ScriptingContainer.java:1735)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.invokeFinalizeMethod(Native Method)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.runFinalizer(Finalizer.java:83)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.access$100(Finalizer.java:14)
at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Finalizer.java:160)
Starting Liferay Portal Community Edition 6.1.0 CE (Paton / Build 6100 / January 6, 2012)

When is starts up it looks like a raw html file is being shown, and there are a couple links (skip to content, sign in, welcome....) that are unresponsive. Nothing else happens after that.
David H Nebinger
January 19, 2012 7:35 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

I'd try to figure out the "Could not load org.jruby.util.WeakIdentityHashMap" issue. I don't think it's related to the previous shutdown, as those thread locals would have long since been destroyed.

On the browser side, the rendered html sounds like the html that you get from the "_unstyled" theme. Whatever this failure is doing, it does seem to impact LR's ability to either use the database or render the pages.

Where did you leverage JRuby? Is it in an EXT plugin, theme, hook, or portlet? If you remove the piece using JRuby, would startup continue normally?
Rochad Tlusty
January 19, 2012 8:28 AM
Answer

Rochad Tlusty

Recent Posts

This is a WAR from the website, there is nothing extra added. So I don't know where the application would be using JRuby. I feel like if this was the root cause of the problem though, then Liferay wouldn't start up at all. Also the tomcat manager is giving the following error in the manager on application shutdown:

FAIL - Encountered exception java.util.ConcurrentModificationException
David H Nebinger
January 30, 2012 10:58 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

Gotta love when someone deletes all of their posts leaving just an odd reply hanging around.

Whoever you were, you deleted information that might have been embarrassing to you, but might have been valuable to a new user trying to solve the same problem.

Again for the Liferay forum admins, if you're listening, I would encourage you to lock forum posts that someone post a reply on...
Rochad Tlusty
November 5, 2012 1:00 PM
Answer

Rochad Tlusty

Recent Posts

David H Nebinger:
Gotta love when someone deletes all of their posts leaving just an odd reply hanging around.

Whoever you were, you deleted information that might have been embarrassing to you, but might have been valuable to a new user trying to solve the same problem.

Again for the Liferay forum admins, if you're listening, I would encourage you to lock forum posts that someone post a reply on...

Actually, it wasn't that this was embarrassing, it just wasn't useful (to anyone... ever... we were trying to install 6.1 on an ancient version of an existing tomcat instance). So I decided to delete it. Maybe instead of having the ability to delete the root messages of a thread, you should just give the action to delete the thread..... (I find it very strange that this is the default behavior).