Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Joe Moran
Liferay 6.1 Page Customization and Nested Portlets portlet
January 31, 2012 11:20 AM
Answer

Joe Moran

Recent Posts

I've downloaded Liferay 6.1 and I've been tinkering with the various new features. One thing my group is especially interested in is the new "Page Customization" feature that lets you make only certain regions of a page editable by general users. We have a page on our site that has a 1-2-1 layout template applied, and in the bottom row we have placed a Nested Portlets portlet. When I recreate this page setup in 6.1 and try to use Page Customization, I find that the individual portlet regions within the Nested Portlets portlet are not selectable. The row in the containing layout region has a "Customize" checkbox and red overlay that fully covers the Nested Portlets portlet, and there is no way to click the "Customize" checkboxes underneath that region that correspond to the columns / rows of the Nested Portlets portlet. E.g, if this is the portlet setup:

2------------------------ HELLO WORLD PORTLET ---------------------------
4------- SEARCH PORTLET -------     ---- WEB CONTENT DISPLAY PORTLET ----
6====================== NESTED PORTLETS PORTLET =========================
7|| ---- BOOKMARKS PORTLET ----         ---- ANNOUNCEMENTS PORTLET ----||
8========================================================================

When I select "Page Customization" from the Manage drop-down, the "Customize" checkboxes for the columns containing the Bookmarks Portlet and Announcements Portlet are overlaid with the "Customize" checkbox for the row that contains the Nested Portlets portlet. This makes it impossible to make the content of the Nested Portlets portlet customizable, which is what I actually want to do so that users can only modify that portlet's content, not the main portlet regions on the page.

Our main reason for this is that we want to let users change the layout of the Nested Portlets portlet from our default 70/30 two-column layout in addition to letting them change what portlets are loaded inside it. This is because we don't want users to be able to change the main layout of the page, but users may need to customize their dashboard pages to have that last row be a single column, or a 50/50 split due to the portlets that user actually wants to load.

Is this a definite shortcoming / bug in the Page Customization funcitonality? If so, how do we work around it?
Joe Moran
RE: Liferay 6.1 Page Customization and Nested Portlets portlet
January 31, 2012 1:19 PM
Answer

Joe Moran

Recent Posts

Follow-up with the results of some more testing....

I found that in addition to being able to change the page customization through the Manage menu, that I could also select "Column 4" of the test layout by going to Manage -> Page and then selecting the "Customization Settings" option on the right-side menu. Once I checked off "Column-4" and saved, I could then apply a Nested Portlets portlet to that column as an admin while I had the Default version of the page active, and it would be visible and configurable by all users.

However, if I then add some portlets inside the Nested Portlet, it gets really weird. Once I log in as a regular user (with site member role and that role set up to allow configuration), I see the Nested Portlets portlet region, but those portlets I added to it as an admin (and which should be visible since it's part of the default page) are not visible at all. I also see a message at the top of the screen, next to the "You can customize this page" message, which says "The defaults for the current page have been updated. Click here to see them." Clicking this link to open the default page does show the portlets I added to the Nested Portlets portlet, but I can never get them to show in the logged in site user's customized page (even if I click the "Reset My Customizations" link).

I even see this problem with a brand new user I create after setting up the test page, to try and force the default setup to be displayed from the outset.

This is a big problem. These are all valid scenarios and should work correctly when Customization on the containing region is enabled.
Vamsi Tekuru
RE: Liferay 6.1 Page Customization and Nested Portlets portlet
February 15, 2013 10:22 AM
Answer

Vamsi Tekuru

Recent Posts

I agree with Joe.

This is very key requirement to have and do not how this usecase got missed.

Also couple of other usecases that are very essential for customization are

1.Admin should be able to control the portlets on user 's portlets on the customized page.There may be security implications on not being able to remove a portlet which is broken/has issues with data getting displayed

2.Add functionality of the portlets - When ever user adds a portlet to the page, a new instance of the portlet will be created.This may fail for the portlets having default preferences

3.Control over the portlets to be customizable - Should have a way to restrict portlets available to specifi page.As of now, all portlets are available for the user to select and use