Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
james gibbens
Database Schema - How is a site built?
April 6, 2012 11:09 AM
Answer

james gibbens

Recent Posts

I am looking for information on how Liferay 6.1 builds the sites: what tables are used? I want to build the menus and the pages for a site.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
David H Nebinger
RE: Database Schema - How is a site built?
April 6, 2012 12:11 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

The database is off limits and you should not play in there.

It is totally managed by Liferay and subject to change at any time.

Stick to the approved APIs provided by Liferay only.
James Falkner
April 6, 2012 1:38 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

David H Nebinger:
The database is off limits and you should not play in there.

It is totally managed by Liferay and subject to change at any time.

Stick to the approved APIs provided by Liferay only.

I wholeheartedly +1 David's statement above. Although, I have to say using Liferay's DynamicQuery API would be impossible without an understanding of the underlying DB schema.

For those interested in an ER diagram of Liferay's entities, take a look at the gargantuan drawing produced by reverse-engineering Liferay's entities by assuming certain relationships based on the consistency applied by ServiceBuilder!
Hitoshi Ozawa
April 7, 2012 1:47 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

I am looking for information on how Liferay 6.1 builds the sites: what tables are used?

Check table "group_" and "layout" for the basic information. Permissions, roles, and portlets are in different tables.

I have to say using Liferay's DynamicQuery API would be impossible without an understanding of the underlying DB schema.

Also, it's easier to understand Liferay's APIs if one understands the Liferay's database tables and their relationships.

For those interested in an ER diagram of Liferay's entities, take a look at the gargantuan drawing produced by reverse-engineering Liferay's entities by assuming certain relationships based on the consistency applied by ServiceBuilder!

As a warning, the article above is using 6.0.6. You'll have to use the reverse engineering tool yourself to generate it for 6.1.
james gibbens
April 9, 2012 7:27 AM
Answer

james gibbens

Recent Posts

In order to understand development I need ot understand the database - and how will Liferay change the database that is located on my personal server? Thank you for the reply but I need developer input.
james gibbens
April 9, 2012 7:29 AM
Answer

james gibbens

Recent Posts

@Hitoshi Ozawa - I found group_, journalarticle, portlet, layout, portletpreferences, and journalcontentsearch - thank you for the feedback. There are some choices that were made with the database that seem like they were either leftovers or intended for some future use but pretty straight forward other than that.