Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
James Falkner
May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
April 18, 2012 11:22 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

Hi all,

It's that time again - time for another leadership meetup! You can review the last meeting's minutes, and think about your availability for this next one. We should have had it in April, but I've unfortunately not had time to plan one due to the busy release season coming up on us (Another Portal 6.1 CE release, Social Office, and Marketplace (woo!!)).

So I propose we have one next month. I've created a Doodle to help us pick a date.

Topic's I'd like to cover in no particular order (please suggest more!)

- Status of open issues from last meeting (most notably, Ideation proposals)
- Review of this team's activity over the last year, what we can do better or change
- Recap of Liferay company activities (release roadmap, policies that affect community, etc)
- Drafting/grooming of new leaders
- Handling of Security-related issues
- User Group conflicts

Please check off the times you are able to meet on the Doodle!
Juan Gonzalez
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
April 18, 2012 1:53 PM
Answer

Juan Gonzalez

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1841

Join Date: October 28, 2008

Recent Posts

What timezones does the doodle refers to?
Juan Gonzalez
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
April 18, 2012 1:57 PM
Answer

Juan Gonzalez

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1841

Join Date: October 28, 2008

Recent Posts

Juan Gonzalez P:
What timezones does the doodle refers to?


I answer myself. Timezones can be configured in doodle. If I read more what I am seeing....
Szymon Gołębiewski
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
April 19, 2012 2:40 AM
Answer

Szymon Gołębiewski

Rank: Regular Member

Posts: 247

Join Date: June 8, 2009

Recent Posts

James Falkner:

- Handling of Security-related issues

example: LPE-6499 in Liferay CE and EE
Sampsa Sohlman
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
April 19, 2012 6:41 AM
Answer

Sampsa Sohlman

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Regular Member

Posts: 217

Join Date: September 27, 2007

Recent Posts

At least critical security bug fixes should be also come to CE.

Community could take some actions from this of back porting these to different LR versions.
Juan Gonzalez
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 8, 2012 7:34 AM
Answer

Juan Gonzalez

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1841

Join Date: October 28, 2008

Recent Posts

I realised I was the "missing" piece for getting a common date-time for the meeting.

I've changed doodle so now everybody can meet up in may 21 th at 22:00 (spanish Time Zone).
James Falkner
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 9, 2012 1:41 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

Juan Gonzalez P:
I realised I was the "missing" piece for getting a common date-time for the meeting.

I've changed doodle so now everybody can meet up in may 21 th at 22:00 (spanish Time Zone).



Thanks Juan, yes, that time is looking like the winner. I will send one more email reminder and we'll set the final date early next week.

Also, on patches, yes, we (in the community, not the corporate Liferay) will begin doing CE patches as soon as 6.1 CE GA2 is released. There are many fixes and the release is scheduled very soon so we will wait until then to start producing patches. More details to come!
James Falkner
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 16, 2012 1:19 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

James Falkner:
Juan Gonzalez P:
I realised I was the "missing" piece for getting a common date-time for the meeting.

I've changed doodle so now everybody can meet up in may 21 th at 22:00 (spanish Time Zone).



Thanks Juan, yes, that time is looking like the winner. I will send one more email reminder and we'll set the final date early next week.

Also, on patches, yes, we (in the community, not the corporate Liferay) will begin doing CE patches as soon as 6.1 CE GA2 is released. There are many fixes and the release is scheduled very soon so we will wait until then to start producing patches. More details to come!


Ok, the best time is Monday, May 21 @ 1pm US/Pacific (4pm US/Eastern, 2200 CEST) so we will choose that date. Here is the agenda:

- Status of open issues from last meeting (most notably, Ideation proposals)
- Review of this team's activity over the last year, what we can do better or change
- Recap of Liferay company activities (release roadmap, policies that affect community, etc)
- Drafting/grooming of new leaders
- Handling of Security-related issues - we are going to institute a new community patch team to most importantly get security issues fixed in CE releases.
- User Group conflicts

Of course we can chat about any other issues that you guys wish to talk about. I will create a google doc as always so that we can follow along and take notes. We will also use skype, I believe I have everyone's contact information, so I will send out a message on skype about an hour before.
Juan Fernández
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 16, 2012 3:51 AM
Answer

Juan Fernández

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1227

Join Date: October 2, 2008

Recent Posts

James Falkner:

- User Group conflicts


Can you explain a little bit about this? Did I miss anything?
Thanks!
James Falkner
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 16, 2012 4:42 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

Juan Fernández:
James Falkner:

- User Group conflicts


Can you explain a little bit about this? Did I miss anything?
Thanks!


You don't have this problem at all in the LSUG, but this refers to the conflict of interest in some user groups where there is a business interest placed ahead of the community's interest. We ran out of time to discuss this last time, and have instituted a new policy for new user groups (that they be led by at least one non-Liferay and one non-Partner person). I'd like to see if there's more we need to do here.
Ryan Terwedo
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 16, 2012 10:27 AM
Answer

Ryan Terwedo

Rank: Junior Member

Posts: 93

Join Date: October 30, 2008

Recent Posts

James Falkner:

Ok, the best time is Monday, May 21 @ 1pm US/Pacific (4pm US/Eastern, 2200 CEST) so we will choose that date. Here is the agenda:

- Status of open issues from last meeting (most notably, Ideation proposals)
- Review of this team's activity over the last year, what we can do better or change
- Recap of Liferay company activities (release roadmap, policies that affect community, etc)
- Drafting/grooming of new leaders
- Handling of Security-related issues - we are going to institute a new community patch team to most importantly get security issues fixed in CE releases.
- User Group conflicts

Of course we can chat about any other issues that you guys wish to talk about. I will create a google doc as always so that we can follow along and take notes. We will also use skype, I believe I have everyone's contact information, so I will send out a message on skype about an hour before.



James-- At some point can we chat (or direct me) to the accepted way for us to release some of our internal business portlets to the open source community? We aren't talking about something crazy cool, just stuff that connects to a db and displays it in a table with inline editing etc.
Sampsa Sohlman
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 17, 2012 2:49 AM
Answer

Sampsa Sohlman

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Regular Member

Posts: 217

Join Date: September 27, 2007

Recent Posts

James Falkner:
We ran out of time to discuss this last time, and have instituted a new policy for new user groups (that they be led by at least one non-Liferay and one non-Partner person). I'd like to see if there's more we need to do here.


The Liferay providers (partners and non partners) are having fierce competition of projects. I think the providers should be able to lead community, but together with other providers and Liferay users.

"provider" = company who is delivering projects for external clients.
James Falkner
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 18, 2012 4:49 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

Ryan Terwedo:

James-- At some point can we chat (or direct me) to the accepted way for us to release some of our internal business portlets to the open source community? We aren't talking about something crazy cool, just stuff that connects to a db and displays it in a table with inline editing etc.


Yep, will contact you offline.
Ryan Terwedo
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 21, 2012 11:53 AM
Answer

Ryan Terwedo

Rank: Junior Member

Posts: 93

Join Date: October 30, 2008

Recent Posts

My calendar syncing tool was not working it turned out, and the only other appointment my assistant scheduled this development week was for 1pm PST today.

Suffice it to say, I cannot make it. Any recording of the meeting (like webex or goto meeting) would be awesome. My bad on the dates, sorry.
James Falkner
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 23, 2012 2:09 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

Ryan Terwedo:
My calendar syncing tool was not working it turned out, and the only other appointment my assistant scheduled this development week was for 1pm PST today.

Suffice it to say, I cannot make it. Any recording of the meeting (like webex or goto meeting) would be awesome. My bad on the dates, sorry.



The minutes and recording [part 1, part deux] are now available. Enjoy. One of the feedback items was that we have these great meetings, but no continuity or discussion *between* meetings (we all just go back to our regular jobs). That's one of the reasons this forum exists, but I need to do a better job of following up here, instead of privately. Thank you all for being a constant in our community!
David H Nebinger
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 23, 2012 5:34 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 6133

Join Date: September 1, 2006

Recent Posts

Sorry I missed it, was on my honeymoon...

Will have to listen to the recordings...
Tomas Polesovsky
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
May 29, 2012 6:43 AM
Answer

Tomas Polesovsky

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Master

Posts: 564

Join Date: February 13, 2009

Recent Posts

James, thank you for the recording!

Guys, I'm sorry I didn't manage to be online emoticon The recordings are helpful, I listened till the end (it was very long emoticon ), but it's not like be there with you.

One note: I see many long-term goals that are not watched and so forgot. For example (although Corné has it on his board - +1 for Corné!) I totally forgot to continue our community survey emoticon So private space for tasks/communication/whatever may be helpful. Another topic there could be the user group leaders communications as I also would like to know more from the Spanish user group, if they would like to share ... emoticon On the other hand - to create the space just for the 2 topics is waste of time.

-- tom
James Falkner
RE: May 2012 Community Leadership Team Meetup
June 7, 2012 10:46 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Rank: Liferay Legend

Posts: 1229

Join Date: September 17, 2010

Recent Posts

Tomáš Polešovský:
James, thank you for the recording!

Guys, I'm sorry I didn't manage to be online emoticon The recordings are helpful, I listened till the end (it was very long emoticon ), but it's not like be there with you.

One note: I see many long-term goals that are not watched and so forgot. For example (although Corné has it on his board - +1 for Corné!) I totally forgot to continue our community survey emoticon So private space for tasks/communication/whatever may be helpful. Another topic there could be the user group leaders communications as I also would like to know more from the Spanish user group, if they would like to share ... emoticon On the other hand - to create the space just for the 2 topics is waste of time.

-- tom


Hey Tomas et al,

Just following up on a few items: University outreach content is underway! We have an intern here helping to put together the package (presentations,swag, curriculums, etc). So work on that has finally begun.

After the meetup, Corne and I bugged Rhys from MyOffice24x7,so he is picking up the survey questions Corne and others developed and putting them online. Once we get them, we can review and publish.

Dave: I owe you an answer on inline editing in Liferay - answer forthcoming, the people that decide those things have been at some boondoggleoffsite this week emoticon

Drew: care to take a stab at a CV program for this summer?