toggle
Atrisa Milani
Different language versions for a site
May 17, 2012 11:47 PM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

Hi everyone.

I am building a site in 3 different languages: Spanish, Italian and English. I have made a theme for the site and the main language is Spanish. From Control Panel -> Settings, I have set the language to Spanish. The URL for example looks like this:

www.mysite.com.

Now I want to build the other 2 languages. I want to use the same theme here as well. So there are two links English and Italiano, when clicked, the address changes accordingly like in the following:

www.mysite.com/en
www.mysite.com/it

where I have the Spanish site displayed and the language of the control panel set to the corresponding languages.

Now, Let's take www.mysite.com/it. What I thought was if I take a web content from this site, localize it from the dropdown to Italian and write the Italian text and save it, then the change would only affect the Italian version, but I was wrong and the changes are also displayed on the Spanish veriosn of the site; which means that there is only one single instance of that web content and any changes on it would show on all three languages versions.

The question is in order to build those 2 language versions, do I need to create let's say folders /en and /it, copy my theme to each of those and then change the contents? Or does Liferay 6.0 CE which I am using provide translation of a web content? If I am not clear, please say so.

Thanks in advance!
Muzakir Khan
RE: Different language versions for a site
May 18, 2012 2:40 AM
Answer

Muzakir Khan

Recent Posts

Hi!..
You need not have to provide translation of web content in all the three languages, It will automatically get converted to other languages once you change it in a particular language..

Kind Regards
Khan
Atrisa Milani
May 18, 2012 5:48 AM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

Hi! It doesn't. I have the dropdown language menu for the three languages. Let's say I choose English and go to the English page. I see e.g. My biography menu name changes from Spanish to English, because when I wrote the title of the content in Spanish, next to it using localization I wrote the corresponding title in English, but the content of that page is still in Spanish and doesn't translate into English. So what is the problem here?
Hitoshi Ozawa
May 18, 2012 7:48 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

You're just suppose to create contents in the same Web Content portlet for each language. Just select a language from "Add Translation" pull-down.
Atrisa Milani
May 18, 2012 2:24 PM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

I am using Liferay 6.0.6 CE, so does it have 'Add translation' drop-down menu? because I haven't come across any. I guess that option is only in version 6.1.
Hitoshi Ozawa
May 18, 2012 6:31 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

In 6.0.6, the name is only different. I think it was "Language".

http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Content+Localization
Atrisa Milani
May 19, 2012 7:22 AM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

Actually that's one of the links I have been so far following. For example in the attached image below (not mine, from google), you would click 'Add translation' and in the pop-up text editor you would write the targeted translation. But in my version there is nothing such as 'Add translation', rather the Language and Default Language options after you check the 'Localize' option. So After I go the EDIT view of the content and select the language let's say Italian from the "Language" combo box, where would I write the translation? I wrote it in the same text editor where I had the Spanish, but then the change shows not only on the Italian language but also on the other two language versions of the site.
-----
Attachment

Attachments: 04-web-content-content-translation-2.jpg (168.3k)
Atrisa Milani
May 21, 2012 4:13 AM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

Thank you both Muzakir Khan and Hitoshi Ozawa. Now it is working. Looked like it just wanted to give me one hell of a week last week. What I did wrong was that every time I changed to a specific language from the Language drop-down, I changed the Default language to that language as well. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! emoticon Thanks again for your patience and help!
Hitoshi Ozawa
May 21, 2012 4:47 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

every time I changed to a specific language from the Language drop-down, I changed the Default language to that language as well. Wrong!

Great to hear that you have it working now. The GUI has greatly improved in 6.x to reduce entry errors. :-)
Atrisa Milani
May 21, 2012 10:35 PM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

Thanks. Actually the Default language part was not that clear for me in the beginning, here came my mistake. I guess it would be better if the default language setting is available only through the 'Portal Settings' at the 'Control Panel', not on every web content.

Also, on every web content there is a 'Localize' tick box above the text editor and a 'Localized' tick box under the text editor. Not yet clear for me why both. Isn't one enough to convey that this is a localized version of the default language?
Hitoshi Ozawa
May 22, 2012 3:42 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Also, on every web content there is a 'Localize' tick box above the text editor and a 'Localized' tick box under the text editor. Not yet clear for me why both. Isn't one enough to convey that this is a localized version of the default language?

Those are no longer! Suggest looking at Liferay 6.1.x portlets because I think they are worth it.
Atrisa Milani
May 22, 2012 4:28 AM
Answer

Atrisa Milani

Recent Posts

That's great; a wish came trueemoticon I guess I should, 'cause thinking of upgrading.