June 26, 2012 5:50 AM
Answer

Dan Scully

Recent Posts

Given that I have:
- unzipped and working liferay portal 6.1.0
- unzipped and working liferay SDK 6.1.0
- Eclipse Indigo and Liferay IDE

How do I create and setup a proper theme project?

I am neither asking how to create a project , nor how to deploy it etc. I'd like to become more productive, since my actual working scheme is not good.

After each change in CSS or VM templates or (...) I have to build a WAR and deploy it to the portal. This takes a long time.

What are your tips, how do you work with the SDK?
Adam Hardy
RE: Developing themes under Eclipse Indigo
June 26, 2012 6:27 AM
Answer

Adam Hardy

Recent Posts

Dan,

the main point of the Liferay IDE plugin is to allow you to hot-deploy stuff like CSS and VM templates. Over the last couple of months I've been converting my company's dev environment to get this working. The themes were the first thing I tried and it works nicely.

If you've already got a theme project set up, but it's not doing hot-deploys, the first thing I would check is whether you've deployed it to the Liferay runtime inside Eclipse. If you're still running liferay outside eclipse with the theme project deployment via the liferay deploy directory, then you've got to set up the liferay runtime properly and then add the theme project to it inside eclipse.

if you're running liferay inside eclipse already, have you added the theme project to the liferay server in the servers view?
David H Nebinger
June 26, 2012 6:32 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

The IDE should point to the SDK you're using.

The SDK will have a build-{username}.properties file which indicates where the tomcat bundle lives.

In the IDE, you can choose 'File'->'New'->'Liferay Project' and choose 'Theme' as the type. This will create the theme project in the SDK's theme directory.

When you build the theme, it will automagically copy the war file to the deploy directory of the tomcat bundle.

To reduce your turnaround time, you can edit the files directly in place on your development rig, but you're still going to have to replicate the changes back to the theme project for deployment to prod.
Dan Scully
June 26, 2012 11:59 PM
Answer

Dan Scully

Recent Posts

Thank you all for your replies.

The missing element was explicitly forcing Eclipse to synchronize a Liferay project with a Liferay server instance. This is not mentioned in any kick-start Liferay tutorials.. but it's crucial...

So how do you do it? You drag-n-drop your project onto the server, lol.
It should look like this

Having this done, you can develop a theme (or anything else) liek a bows.
David H Nebinger
June 27, 2012 6:17 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

I don't deploy my plugins this way...

I prefer to deploy them by invoking the ant build script. I know it's a manual step, but since I control the ant call I control the whole process...

It also gives me the deployable artifact in the sdk/dist folder which I will need anyway to push to the test instance...
Ram A
February 8, 2013 11:46 PM
Answer

Ram A

Recent Posts

David H Nebinger:

The SDK will have a build-{username}.properties file which indicates where the tomcat bundle lives.

In the IDE, you can choose 'File'->'New'->'Liferay Project' and choose 'Theme' as the type. This will create the theme project in the SDK's theme directory.

When you build the theme, it will automagically copy the war file to the deploy directory of the tomcat bundle.

To reduce your turnaround time, you can edit the files directly in place on your development rig, but you're still going to have to replicate the changes back to the theme project for deployment to prod.

Hi David,

I am new to Liferay.
I am using liferay 6.0.6 and i tried to created a Theme by choosing "File -->New -->Liferay Project --> and then Theme

it gives the below error.
Failed while installing Liferay Theme 6.0.Reason :
Failed while installing Liferay Theme 6.0.

when i go to details section of the error it showing "java.lang.NullPointerException".but theme is created and have the below structure :

docroot
-----META-INF
-----MANIFEST.MF
-----WEB-INF
-----lib
-----src

Can you please help me why it is coming and how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance
Ram A
Hitoshi Ozawa
February 9, 2013 3:01 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Ram,

If you have a new question unrelated to the topic of the thread, please create a new thread. Please stop posting a new question to other's thread.
Please obey the forum rules.
Gregory Amerson
February 21, 2013 8:45 PM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Ram A:
David H Nebinger:

Hi David,

I am new to Liferay.
I am using liferay 6.0.6 and i tried to created a Theme by choosing "File -->New -->Liferay Project --> and then Theme

when i go to details section of the error it showing "java.lang.NullPointerException".but theme is created and have the below structure :

docroot
-----META-INF
-----MANIFEST.MF
-----WEB-INF
-----lib
-----src

Can you please help me why it is coming and how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance
Ram A

Ram A,

Can you start a new thread and post the entire error message including the stacktrace from the Eclipse error log? (Window > Show View > Other > General > Error log) Thanks.
Ram A
February 22, 2013 12:58 AM
Answer

Ram A

Recent Posts

Hi Gregory Amerson,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I created a new thread under development for this issue.

http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/21402632

Please help me to develop a theme using Eclipse indigo.

Thanks in advance
Ram A