Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Marquis Davis
can not install Tomcat installation on Mac OS 10.6 catalina.out no there
August 8, 2012 5:46 PM
Answer

Marquis Davis

Recent Posts

I am trying to install Liferay 6.1 bundled with tomcat on my Localhost on my Mac to test before spending the money on VPS

I can not get Tomcat to start and receive an error in Terminal that says

/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: No such file or directory

Ive looked all over the forums and googled and found similar post concerning the catalina.out file but none addressed my localhost issue

I'm using MAMP for my localhost, but that seems to be running fine

PLEASE HELP
David H Nebinger
RE: can not install Tomcat installation on Mac OS 10.6 catalina.out no ther
August 8, 2012 5:51 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Marquis Davis:
/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: No such file or directory

Seriously? Okay, I'll spell it out... Somewhere you've defined your CATALINA_HOME variable to be /tomcat. When tomcat starts up, it will try to create or append to the file $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out.

A no such file or directory error means, in this case, that either the /tomcat directory doesn't exist or the /tomcat/logs directory doesn't exist.
Marquis Davis
August 8, 2012 6:12 PM
Answer

Marquis Davis

Recent Posts

Thx David,

I'm not sure if your intent was to be condescending in your reply, but I was under the assumption the forums were for people to learn and get help. who knows.

Anywho... I know error means that the file or directory does not exist. I have not defined any variables... simply followed the instructions on how to install liferay. All files are from the bundled install files that include tomcat.

My question is how to FIX the issue. Within my /tomcat folder there is no /logs folder at all.
Brian Kim
August 8, 2012 10:49 PM
Answer

Brian Kim

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Marquis,

If you've truly used a bundle, it should by default have a /logs folder. Which means that you may have something incorrectly setup. Also, our bundles don't have the catalina.out included. They're generated upon first startup of your portal.
David H Nebinger
August 9, 2012 6:57 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Marquis Davis:
I'm not sure if your intent was to be condescending in your reply, but I was under the assumption the forums were for people to learn and get help. who knows.

Sorry, too much coffee...

My question is how to FIX the issue. Within my /tomcat folder there is no /logs folder at all.

Well, try creating the /tomcat/logs folder and go again...
Hitoshi Ozawa
August 15, 2012 6:20 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

First, have you tested your tomcat installation before installing liferay? If the tomcat isn't properly installed, liferay won't work.
If there isn't any log directory, it may be a permission problem.

Those bundled packages usually results in more trouble than installing from scratch especially in this case because only the two "M" are used in this case. :-)