toggle
Ash J
Liferay taking longer time after a week
October 17, 2012 7:30 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

Hi All,

I have Liferay 6 running in Production. When I start the Liferay server, it runs fast enough. But, gradually, day by day, the performance comes down. It takes longer to login, load each page.

Is anybody else is facing the same problem?? Can someone please suggest something to overcome this please..

I have gone through Performance Tuning and tried all these, which makes no difference.

Thanks,
-ash
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Liferay taking longer time after a week
October 18, 2012 5:39 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

It's probably a cache or a database index problem. How much physical memory is available on your server? Is it paging?
Did you check your database to check how indexes are used?
Ash J
October 19, 2012 2:09 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

There is 8GB memory on the system.

When I restart Liferay, performance is very good. Then gradually go back to low performance in a weeks time.

Any ideas?? I'm using Liferay 6.0.5
Hitoshi Ozawa
October 19, 2012 7:01 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

I'm asking you how much physical memory is being used by the software running on the server. Also, I think there was some memory leak issues in 6.0.5 but I don't remember if it was client side or server side.
Ash J
October 19, 2012 7:12 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

Sorry for getting your question wrong

Software uses 1,101,725,800 Bytes, about 70% of the memory.
Hitoshi Ozawa
October 19, 2012 7:22 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

And how much have you allocated to be used by the java application server? Also, have to check database performance?
Ash J
November 27, 2012 3:20 PM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

Just like a magic, after a restart of the Liferay 6.0.5, everything works fine, super fast...

this went on for 2 months.. and now again Liferay is back to performance issues. I'm really not sure what is the main cause of this problem.

Mostly the login part to Liferay takes more time. This does not happen always. The server has got 12 GB RAM and 8 GB has been assigned to Liferay. When I check the server load, after a couple of logins, the next login takes time and the CPU goes beyond 100%

any thoughts??
Hitoshi Ozawa
November 27, 2012 3:27 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

I think Liferay 6.0.5 has some bugs with not deleting permissions. If you set too many or edited permissions often, that may be the cause of the delay.
Ash J
November 28, 2012 12:52 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

But, why does this happens sometimes? It does not happen always.

I restarted the server last night and it was fast. I just restarted the server now and it went very slow. It used to take less than 2 seconds to login (both Enabled and Required are true) and now it takes about 10 seconds to login.

When I click 'Sign in' button on the browser (firefox), I can see the progress (icon on the tab title) keeps on rotating anti-clockwise and after about 5 seconds start rotating clockwise. Then, after 5 seconds I get the welcome page.

I know there is a memory leak issue in 6.0.5. But that should cause trouble if the server is running for sometime (days/weeks). My issue happens from the time of starting the server.

Please advise.

Thanks,
-ash
Hitoshi Ozawa
November 28, 2012 4:02 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

I'm sorry but have to see the server to know the performance problem. I have 6.0.5 server in production and haven't had performance problem you've mentioned. I think it's particular to your environment.

Beside liferay, there's also database performance. I've seen a system where database performance was the bottleneck. Performance problem occurred when a data backup was recovered on a new server and the indexes were recreated with a different optimization strategy.
Abc Defg
November 29, 2012 7:38 AM
Answer

Abc Defg

Recent Posts

Can you elaborate on " If you set too many or edited permissions often"
We have to restart the 6.05 every day just to keep this pile of junk running and db is not! the bottleneck
Riccardo Ferrari
November 29, 2012 3:11 PM
Answer

Riccardo Ferrari

Recent Posts

Hi,

Can you confirm that "8 GB has been assigned to Liferay" means the JVM -Xmx is set to 8GB? In this case you should take into account the garbage collection task can be definitely annoying if not properly configured. Have you double checked you GC settings?

This can be related to memory leak, may you want to take some thread dumps when the portal is slow and analyze them. This can help you to track down what actually is getting busy your system.

Best,
Riccardo
Ash J
November 30, 2012 1:43 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

Hi,

Yes, the -Xmx is set to 8GB. And, I did take the thread dump when the system was slow and couldn't find anything strange in it.

Liferay uses LDAP to authenticate users. After some observation, it looks like login part takes time. it doesn't happen always, but when someone logs in, the CPU goes to 100%. Accessing any other screens during this time takes time.

Any idea what is going wrong? Also, could you please let me know how to turn the logging on for the LDAP login module to see the logs and exactly know what is going wrong and where it is taking time.

Thanks,
-ash
Riccardo Ferrari
November 30, 2012 1:55 AM
Answer

Riccardo Ferrari

Recent Posts

About thread dumps I suggest you to take a sequence of them and search for long running threads.

you can raise the log level of the "com.liferay.portal.security.ldap" to DEBUG. Please take into account that importing from LDAP can be very resource consuming. I would expect to see from your thread dump lot of references to LDAP importer classes as well as Lucene classes as well.

Are you sure you are not running your portal wth any of the portal-developers.properties enabled?

Best,
Riccardo
Ash J
November 30, 2012 2:29 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

My LDAP import is running only once in a day. So, while login, it is not importing the users.

I have "Enabled" and "Required" checked in LDAP integration page. Is that anything to do with the change?

I understand that if 'Required' is checked, each time when the user logs in Liferay matches the user record in Liferay with that in LDAP and updates it. If i don't check the 'Required', user gets authenticated in Liferay only and the user record will be synced only when the next LDAP import runs. So, if the user password is changed in LDAP, still the user will be able to login with the old password in Liferay until the LDAP import runs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I tried un-checking 'Enabled' and 'Required' and found that login to Liferay is fast, which means user authentication in Liferay is fast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-ash
Riccardo Ferrari
November 30, 2012 9:31 AM
Answer

Riccardo Ferrari

Recent Posts

Hi,

Liferay always fetch users from LDAP to check for updates whenever the LDAP is "Enabled". "Required" means that is required a successful binding with the LDAP server to grant the authentication. It could be useful to know how many users you do have in your LDAP and which informations are you importing from there. Again according to your environment LDAP import can take even more than 1 day.

If you uncheck the "Enabled" then Liferay is not trying to update the account information anymore, that could be the reason for the seep-up.

Best,
Riccardo
Ash J
December 3, 2012 1:38 AM
Answer

Ash J

Recent Posts

Liferay always fetch users from LDAP to check for updates whenever the LDAP is "Enabled"

What dis you mean by 'always'?? Is it at the time of login and during import? Or any other times as well??

My LDAP import is configured to rum once in a day. I had switched off import on Friday and when I checked Liferay this morning (Monday), it is still slow. But, yes Enabled and Required is still checked.

I have around 4000 users in Liferay, imported from LDAP. LDAP imports takes less than 1hr to import all the users.