toggle
Lij Achu
Liferay 6.1.1 on VMware
November 26, 2012 2:09 AM
Answer

Lij Achu

Recent Posts

Hi all,

The VMware has a total physical memory of 16GB from which 10GB is allocated to the VM I put Liferay portal. But Liferay is extremely slow in processing requests, I have observed that the CPU utilization during the whole start up period is 100%, and it also gets very high when any link in the portal is clicked usually 65%-100%. I thought it was due to the communication cost between Apache and Tomcat through mod_jk, but I got similar result while accessing it directly from tomcat.

Is there any special setting or configuration tip for both Apache+Tomcat via mod_jk and Liferay when using a VMware?

Thanks !
Lij Achu
RE: Liferay 6.1.1 on VMware
November 26, 2012 2:28 AM
Answer

Lij Achu

Recent Posts

In addition to that; the following is set in the setenv.bat, when I change the -Xmx1024m value to 2048m and -XX:MaxPermSize=256m to 512m tomcat wont start. Isn't 10GB RAM enough for this?

1if exist "%CATALINA_HOME%/jre1.6.0_20/win" (
 2    if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" (
 3        set JAVA_HOME=
 4    )
 6    set "JRE_HOME=%CATALINA_HOME%/jre1.6.0_20/win"
 7)
 9set "JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=false -Duser.timezone=GMT -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m"
Hitoshi Ozawa
November 26, 2012 2:53 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

We have some system on VMware and haven't experience any problem. How many CPU are you allocating? I recommend above 2.
Also, I think you're allocating too much memory. Remember that Java does gc and allocating too much memory may actually reduce performance.
Lij Achu
November 29, 2012 9:23 AM
Answer

Lij Achu

Recent Posts

What do you mean by "How many CPU are you allocating? ", I thought the VMs share processor and CPUs can't be allocated in numbers . But I know that the server has 2.67GHz Quade Core processor, Xion.

I appreciate if you can suggest me some configuration details relative to this spec., there are two additional VMs on the same machine currently.

Remember that Java does gc and allocating too much memory may actually reduce performance
You mean the RAM or the one set in the setenv.bat?
In the setenv.bat I'm proposing (2048M) & it is what I saw being recommended for production environment).
Riccardo Ferrari
November 29, 2012 3:24 PM
Answer

Riccardo Ferrari

Recent Posts

Hi,

Please be aware that the Xmx parameter actually limit the maximum heap size of the JVM. In you specific case having an VM dedicated to Liferay that has 10GB of ram allocated but then only 1 or 2 GB are allocated to the JVM is pretty pointless.

If your system load spikes every time a page is hit, are you sure that you are not using all the properties required to allow an easy debug of the portal (refer to the properties into the portal-developer.properties)? These properties are very useful when developing but definitely not meant to be used in production.
Can the system load be related to some custom development?

Are you sure your VM is not suffering of any bottleneck? Is the storage fast enough? Is the CPU capped? How many cores are allocated to the VM (as Hitoshi already asked you)?
If your server has 12GB of memory and 10 are allocated to this VM, how much memory do the other VMs have?

Best,
Riccardo
Lij Achu
June 12, 2013 10:38 AM
Answer

Lij Achu

Recent Posts

This times we faced challenges in keeping the portals up and running. The other virtual machines were removed and there is only one virtual machine on the server. The application server stacks in the middle of something and it requires a restart to resume the availability of the portals.

In this single physical server there are two tomcats each having one Liferay portal and one of them hosts eleven portal instances being accessed with their respective domain name. The portal instances share the same data folder.

Though the server has more than 10GB RAM we are unable to increase the xmx memory beyond 1300MB.

Suggestions?