Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Aryan sahu
portal server and portlet container
February 25, 2013 4:16 AM
Answer

Aryan sahu

Recent Posts

i am having the tomcat bundle 6.1 i want to know which one is the portal server and which is the container.
As per my knowledge we have converted the tomcat server to a portal server and portlet container is a logical unit which manages the lifecycle of the portlets.The portlet container is present in portlet.jar .
Can we even distinguish between the two ??? please help i need to know the basic...
Subhash Pavuskar
RE: portal server and portlet container
February 25, 2013 5:11 AM
Answer

Subhash Pavuskar

Recent Posts

Hi Aryan ,
Portal in nothing but a web application. In simple words, a portal server is an application having a portal and its management capabilities. In traditional web application, we have a separate management section for managing the web application. Portal server provides the application as well as that management section. In other words, a portal server is an application deployed inside application server.Whereas, an application server is a system that provides the execution environment that is at the core of network computing or web-based architectures, providing a full set of services.
Hitoshi Ozawa
February 25, 2013 2:42 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Tomcat is a servlet container (i.e. supports servlet API)

http://www.liferay.com/products/liferay-portal/tech-specs

Portlet container is just a container for portlets conforming to JSR286 specification. portlet.jar and portal-service.jar are portlet container and service interface to using it.
ROOT folder in the webapps is just liferay's GUI implementation to manage the portlet container and default set portlets.
Aryan sahu
February 25, 2013 11:38 PM
Answer

Aryan sahu

Recent Posts

thank you.. .