Florencia Gadea
10 ways to fail as a Liferay plugin developer
March 1, 2013 3:46 AM
Answer

Florencia Gadea

Recent Posts

Hi Everyone,

How are you?

After 10 months developing Liferay plugins, I've decided to share my experience with you guys: 10 ways to fail as a Liferay plugin developer

What do you think? emoticon

Regards,

Flor.
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: 10 ways to fail as a Liferay plugin developer
March 2, 2013 6:02 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Add
11. Assume liferay forums members all all liferay.com employees being paid by liferay.com to answer users' questions. Complain about the quality and not answering your questions quickly.

12. Not reading forum guidelines are posting questions to any arbitrary forum.
Archana S
March 2, 2013 8:00 AM
Answer

Archana S

Recent Posts

Well Said Hotoshi !! We are posting our queries to get clear our doubts if the Liferay staff is not answering then what is the use of this forum and for what they get paid for !! till now whichever thread i saw its almost all answered by you and the guy name David and some liferay experience people thats it !! this is my kind request to liferay staff answer our query to get clear our doubts !!
James Falkner
March 2, 2013 5:40 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Riya M S:
Well Said Hotoshi !! We are posting our queries to get clear our doubts if the Liferay staff is not answering then what is the use of this forum and for what they get paid for !! till now whichever thread i saw its almost all answered by you and the guy name David and some liferay experience people thats it !! this is my kind request to liferay staff answer our query to get clear our doubts !!

Huh? There are Liferay staffers on these forums answering questions all the time! There are a lot of posts that come through on any given day. What's awesome is that through our large and growing community, including Dave and Hitoshi, you get answers to many of your questions. That's what this forum is for. So with 350 employees (many of which have job functions outside of this forum), and 80k community members, yeah, most posts will be by non-LR staff. I personally try to answer when I have experience or the right answer, and I know many other Liferay staff do too, but we can't get to them all. Again, that's what our awesome community does such a good job at.
Archana S
March 2, 2013 10:26 PM
Answer

Archana S

Recent Posts

Hi James,

This is what i am expecting from liferay staff !! so quick answer and by the way thanks for making my doubts clear !! emoticonemoticonemoticonemoticon
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 3, 2013 5:10 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Riya, you're not getting it wrong. This isn't a support forum like Microsoft support forum. Users who are there already paid Microsoft for their products.

I think the only people who are fully paid to participate to this forums are James and David?. Even Liferay staffs seems to be using their own time to post here.

I should add the following to the list:
13. Thinking liferay community forum is a product support forum.
David H Nebinger
March 4, 2013 5:37 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

Hitoshi Ozawa:
I think the only people who are fully paid to participate to this forums are James and David?

Must be talking about some other David... emoticon

I'm here purely for personal benefit. The more organizations that are successful deploying Liferay, the better my job outlook (as a Liferay Architect/Developer) becomes...

So if I can help folks get over some simple issues, I see it as helping myself...
Ron J
March 4, 2013 6:49 AM
Answer

Ron J

Recent Posts

David H Nebinger:
Hitoshi Ozawa:
I think the only people who are fully paid to participate to this forums are James and David?

Must be talking about some other David... emoticon

I'm here purely for personal benefit. The more organizations that are successful deploying Liferay, the better my job outlook (as a Liferay Architect/Developer) becomes...

So if I can help folks get over some simple issues, I see it as helping myself...

On any given search, you and Hitoshi respond to at least 90% of the threads I look at
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 4, 2013 7:22 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

That's because I'm here to create a market. As has been posted several time, one of the weakest point of liferay is support and quality. Documentation also used to be a problem but that's been fixed for English documentation. I think the quality of the CE version is improving with Juan's community version. I think the support is getting very well with support extending to outside this forums.

I sometimes see people complaining about this and that but liferay.com is not going to change. Just use what they have and fill in what's necessary. Don't stop trying to change other people - change what you can and move on.
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 4, 2013 7:24 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Must be talking about some other David...

Sorry, James must have been talking about some other David. emoticon
David H Nebinger
March 4, 2013 7:32 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

Ron J:
On any given search, you and Hitoshi respond to at least 90% of the threads I look at

Because we're a) experienced and b) enthusiasts. I know I don't always get things right (Hitoshi tends to catch me on these), but I think we're both here for the same reason (to build the market), although for slightly different reasons (Hitoshi sells services to that market whereas I'm more interested in being employed in that market).

Liferay's a great platform to build an environment from, but it does come w/ a pretty steep learning curve. Helping folks to overcome that curve is tough, and in the end we're just trying to help you do it.
Ching Ice-creaming
March 5, 2013 7:44 AM
Answer

Ching Ice-creaming

Recent Posts

Hi, Florencia Gadea, let me rewrite your message as my opinion:

Hi Everyone,

How are you ?

After 24 months secret self-training, I've decided to share my experience with you guys: http://struts.apache.org/development/2.x/docs/portlet-plugin.html
I highly recommend Struts2 portlet plugin to everyone as a starting point of portlet development.

I started from Apache Struts2 portlet example http://struts.apache.org/release/2.3.x/docs/struts-2-portlet-tutorial.html to achieve my pet project: http://code.google.com/p/jasperrocks

Struts2 portlet plugin follows JSR286 standard, if you follows its examples, you can make one portlet to run Liferay, eXo, GateIn, Jetspeed, Pluto, uPortal.

With the basic knowledge of struts2 portlet, you will have more confidence of developing more advanced Liferay or other portals.

What do you think ?

Hi, James Falkner,

Just let me say thank you for your blog: http://www.liferay.com/web/james.falkner/blog/-/blogs/yet-another-liferay-json-service-example. My REST and JSON ideas of my pet project are coming from your Apache HttpComponents knowledges.

BTW, please help me to tell your CEO, I beg Bryan Cheung, not to fade out Struts (Reference: http://sourceforge.net/blog/open-source-business-liferay/)
A core developer of GateIn (your competitor) has trying his portlet framework to cross the line (running on GateIn and Liferay) http://juzuweb.org/#features
Struts, like a lightsaber, is an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. You may consider to make use of Struts to cross their lines more (a Liferay made portlet running on other portals).

Hi, Hitoshi Ozawa & David H Nebinger
I like reading your messages for years but I always keep silent here (I would like to pretend a ninja in Japanese movies - they always hide themselves)

Ching
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 4, 2013 2:16 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

BTW, please help me to tell your CEO, I beg Bryan Cheung, not to fade out Struts (Reference: sourceforge.net/blog/open-source-business-liferay/)

Should ask Brian Chan, Chief Software Architect for this. Bryan is mostly on the business side and seems to leave technical decisions to Brian and Jorge.
Anonymous
March 4, 2013 4:19 PM
Answer

Anonymous

I'm a Liferay Employee, I subscribe in the forums in the areas that I have experience, for example 6.0 + Themes. If I can answer the question when it pops up in my email I will try to answer it or point the person to other information related to the question. I try to spend 25 - 30 mins answering forums per day.
Florencia Gadea
March 5, 2013 5:23 AM
Answer

Florencia Gadea

Recent Posts

Hi Everyone,

Hitoshi, thanks for the suggestions, I agree with them too emoticon

It is true that Hitoshi and David do an amazing job, they have helped me many times.

One thing I don't like is that I have seen a lot of "unanswered" posts, so I think that Liferay staff should focus on answering those posts.

Regards,

Flor.
Ching Ice-creaming
March 5, 2013 4:53 AM
Answer

Ching Ice-creaming

Recent Posts

Stuff !? Do you mean the word staff ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LVptO7o4L8&t=60s

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458352/quotes?qt=qt0483799

Florencia Gadea:
Hi Everyone,

Hitoshi, thanks for the suggestions, I agree with them too emoticon

It is true that Hitoshi and David do an amazing job, they have helped me many times.

One thing I don't like is that I have seen a lot of "unanswered" posts, so I think that Liferay stuff should focus on answering those posts.

Regards,

Flor.
Jelmer Kuperus
March 5, 2013 5:18 AM
Answer

Jelmer Kuperus

Recent Posts

11. Use the community edition and expect it to be "good enough"
12. Expect liferay api's will be stable and backwards compatible
13. Expect that if you file a bug it will be fixed in the next version
14. Expect that if you contribute a patch it will be included in the next version
15. Expect that anyone on the forum will have an answer to non trivial questions
Florencia Gadea
March 5, 2013 5:30 AM
Answer

Florencia Gadea

Recent Posts

Yes, I meant the word staff. Sorry spelling nazi emoticon
Florencia Gadea
March 5, 2013 5:35 AM
Answer

Florencia Gadea

Recent Posts

jelmer kuperus:

12. Expect liferay api's will be stable and backwards compatible

Well, I don't agree with this one, I think backwards compatibility should be expected (in basic stuff). At least, some classes or methods could be deprecated first and then eliminated.

Cheers,

Flor.
Jelmer Kuperus
March 5, 2013 6:49 AM
Answer

Jelmer Kuperus

Recent Posts

ehhh duuhh...

I think you missed the point that like the points in your original post. These are all untrue and are sure ways to fail.
Showing 1 - 20 of 59 results.
of 3