Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer March 20, 2009 5:52 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Richard Sezov March 20, 2009 7:17 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Edward Shin March 20, 2009 9:00 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jeffrey Paul Handa March 20, 2009 11:17 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Edward Shin March 23, 2009 4:03 PM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Andrew Gruhn March 26, 2009 10:10 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Julio Camarero April 3, 2009 1:13 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Martin Gamulin April 3, 2009 1:27 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Julio Camarero April 3, 2009 1:50 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Martin Gamulin April 3, 2009 2:21 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Stephan Wetaas April 16, 2009 10:54 PM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer April 17, 2009 1:06 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Stephan Wetaas April 17, 2009 4:51 AM
Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Ide Jorge Ferrer April 17, 2009 5:45 AM
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Stephan Wetaas April 20, 2009 2:33 PM
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Victor Zorin April 20, 2009 3:03 PM
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Jorge Ferrer April 21, 2009 12:44 AM
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Victor Zorin April 21, 2009 1:30 AM
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Jorge Ferrer April 21, 2009 1:59 AM
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Jorge Ferrer April 21, 2009 12:54 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer July 17, 2009 8:26 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Joshua Asbury July 17, 2009 8:51 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan July 18, 2009 8:46 PM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Julio Camarero July 20, 2009 12:21 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan July 20, 2009 8:41 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer July 20, 2009 12:22 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Joshua Asbury July 24, 2009 7:31 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan September 15, 2009 5:34 PM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan September 16, 2009 3:14 PM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Lucas Roberto Thomaz October 23, 2009 11:53 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer October 26, 2009 5:50 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Lucas Roberto Thomaz October 26, 2009 6:02 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer October 29, 2009 7:41 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations dain kaplan November 6, 2009 9:09 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jorge Ferrer November 18, 2009 3:47 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan November 25, 2009 8:16 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Joss Sanglier December 6, 2009 5:57 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Igor Stipanov December 8, 2009 6:10 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Joss Sanglier December 8, 2009 6:29 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Fuad Efendi January 1, 2010 10:13 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan February 21, 2010 8:54 AM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Fuad Efendi February 19, 2010 12:54 PM
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations Jonas Yuan February 26, 2010 12:16 PM
Jorge Ferrer
Ideas for sharing content across organizations
March 20, 2009 5:52 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

As the number of use cases for communities and organizations grows there seems to be an increasing need to share contents across them. The purpose of this thread is to ask for opinions about two things:
  1. Specific use cases that would benefit from sharing content
  2. Ideas for solving the challenges introduced by sharing

I suggest using the term "organization" from now on instead of "community" since they are going to be merged.

Also, I'd appreciate specially ideas regarding how this would affect permissions and search.
Richard Sezov
RE: Ideas for sharing content across organizations
March 20, 2009 7:17 AM
Answer

Richard Sezov

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hey Jorge,

One thing we need to make sure we consider is that we take into account not only the use cases for sharing content, but also the use cases for protecting content. We also need to take into account the use case for having Communities: to cut across multiple organizations. From what I understand, the current design was built around something like the following scenario:

Consider a corporate Intranet, owned by a company called MyCompany. Inside MyCompany, you have many different departments, such as Human Resources, Information Technology, Marketing, Sales, etc. To implement this in Liferay, you would create an Organization called MyCompany, and sub-organizations for the departments. All employees would be members of the MyCompany organization, but only members of the IT department would be members of that org, etc. This allows each department to own and manage its own content. So the IT Department might have a help desk app on its organization pages which has two portlets: one for the public pages that allows users to create tickets, and one for the private pages that IT people would use in responding to and commenting on tickets. HR would have similar apps, etc. The point is that departmental users need membership in both organizations (i.e., MyCompany -> IT) in order to have access to content for both of them.

You would, of course, have overall portal administrators who have access to everything.

Now, say that company needed an extranet to communicate with some vendors. Using the current paradigm, a community could be created for that, and they could create an organization for each of the vendors, even allowing the vendors to manage their own users if they wanted to. But the Community can act as a single site which cuts across multiple organizations, both internal (i.e., MyCompany -> HR) and external (i.e., MyVendor1, MyVendor2). As long as the orgs were members of the extranet community, they'd have access to the site. We need to be able to preserve this use case of having a single site which can have ad-hoc members from multiple different organizations in it, so we can cut across the hierarchy if we need to.

Does that make sense? Sometimes the flexibility makes it a bit difficult to explain, but it's now much better than when permissions could flow between all of these user collections. :-) The point is that we have people using all of these use cases, and we really don't want to break them with the merge if we can help it.

What do you think?

--Rich
Edward Shin
March 20, 2009 9:00 AM
Answer

Edward Shin

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I thought I understood this, but after reading the above example for the fifth time I'm still not sure if I understand it fully. Could this use case be implemented by creating an organization that other users can join? For example, if I create a (regular type) Soccer Organization that members of Organization A and Organization B could join, does that do the same thing that Communities do right now?

I think this highlights the difficulty with using communities and organizations. It's very nuanced and hard to understand even with a very specific example.

Examples of what is intuitive for users are represented by the kinds of questions that we see coming in these days. Why can't I share content across sub-organizations? Why can't users search for content in parent organizations? I know I'm just bringing up the obvious points, but this is the best case scenario since the user understands how to use the system with little or no explanation.

This is how I think content should be shared for Organizations:

Share this with...
  • Everyone: You want to share this content across Organizations, and you don't care about security.
  • All Members: Default option. This Organization and all Sub-Organizations.
  • This Organization only
  • Me only

This drop down menu should replace the permission checkboxes that we have right now. Typical users would be better served with a few easy to understand options and advanced users can use the Advanced Permissions screen.
Jeffrey Paul Handa
March 20, 2009 11:17 AM
Answer

Jeffrey Paul Handa

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Ed,

I like the idea of providing multiple options when content is created. I also like the choice of the ‘All Members’ option to be the default. I’d like to suggest another option for your drop down menu and that would be to share with all members of an Organization hierarchy. In Rich’s example, I could see the IT department making content that should be shared up and down the MyCompany organization tree, but not with any other organizations (communities) that don’t share the same parent Organization. So if there was an extranet organization created, it could be another top level organization with its own sub organizations, but the IT content marked as ‘share with organization hierarchy’ wouldn’t be shared with them. Perhaps that’s already possible with the choices you’ve provided and I am missing something.
Edward Shin
March 23, 2009 4:03 PM
Answer

Edward Shin

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I think that's definitely an option that people would want, but I couldn't think of an intuitive name at the time and I didn't want there to be too many options since I think less options are easier to understand.

"Share with organization hierarchy" sounds like a good name though or maybe "All Members of Root Organization"? Assuming that this idea gets accepted, I think we should look into adding that option.
Andrew Gruhn
March 26, 2009 10:10 AM
Answer

Andrew Gruhn

Recent Posts

Ed Shin:
"Share with organization hierarchy" sounds like a good name though or maybe "All Members of Root Organization"? Assuming that this idea gets accepted, I think we should look into adding that option.

YES YES YES - this is important. Here's two cases:

Scenario 1) I've got a parent organization and 30 children organizations of that parent. I have a blob of Web Content in the parent, which I'm positioning on the page as a pre-footer (it's just a bunch of links that wind up on the bottom of the page). I want to have that blob of links on the pre-footer of every page across the parent and all 30 children organizations, but I also want the blob in a single location so I can edit it in one place (I definitively do not want to have 31 Web Content blobs of the same set of links re-created in each Organization).

Scenario 2) Again, I've got a child organization under it's parent. Authors within the child organization are blogging away ("News") and one of them writes something so interesting, we want to pull it up to the parent to highlight it for all to see. Via the Asset Publisher of the parent organization, it'd be great to reach into it's child org to pull out that asset of type blog up to the parent.
Julio Camarero
April 3, 2009 1:13 AM
Answer

Julio Camarero

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

This is an idea Jorge and I had when talking about this issue today:

We could have a new Entry in the Content section in Control Panel called "Sharing Content".

From this section, for each Community/Organization you could decide to which organizations you want to export your content and from which organizations you can import content. (You could choose individual organizations or things like "all the children organizations", "all the parent organizations" or "all the organizations".

What do you think about this,guys?
Martin Gamulin
April 3, 2009 1:27 AM
Answer

Martin Gamulin

Recent Posts

Hi Julio,

that would be perfect!

Just one question tough, if you "share" content let's say not approved would it be possible that it gets approved by user form another (sub)organization (higher in hierarchy)?
Julio Camarero
April 3, 2009 1:50 AM
Answer

Julio Camarero

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

This is something that we could consider later but I guess that in a first version only approved content could be shared.
Martin Gamulin
April 3, 2009 2:21 AM
Answer

Martin Gamulin

Recent Posts

Content sharing ,even only approved, will be great improvement so I agree.

Nevertheless, I think that cross organization workflow is real life scenario so it really should be considered.
Stephan Wetaas
April 16, 2009 10:54 PM
Answer

Stephan Wetaas

Recent Posts

Hi,

We have an unsolved usecase regarding cross content sharing.
We are currently in development of several organizations which is going get marketing content from its parent organization and at the same time have the possible to override some of the content themselves in the sub organization.

Each organization is going to have a similar page-structure mapped against the same parent content which is shared to all sub organization.

When are these longing changes due for release, you think?
We are currently looking at a temporary fix ourselves regarding this issue, but I think it's best to use it plain vanilla from a new Liferay Release.

I read the thread further down and I thought Julio had a good solution for this with a Shared content-pool which only had Approved content in the first phase and more features in the future.

Regards
Stephan Wetaas
Jorge Ferrer
April 17, 2009 1:06 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Stephan,

Can you provide some more details with regards to content overriding? I'm not sure I understand how that works.

Regarding timing we are aiming at adding part of this functionality for 5.3. It's SE edition would probably be released around Sept'09 and EE around year end, although actual dates may vary.
Stephan Wetaas
April 17, 2009 4:51 AM
Answer

Stephan Wetaas

Recent Posts

Hi again Jorge,

Thanks for the answer :-)

Jorge Ferrer:
Can you provide some more details with regards to content overriding? I'm not sure I understand how that works

I probably didn't provide enough details here, but what I actually was thinking about the overriding part was. When a parent-site-page-structure gets exported it should be exported and imported with all permissions and content references to the parent organization as default or by a selection setting.

Then when a sub organization wants to change the content of a specific page in the similar newly exported structure, an overall parent administrator needs to set right permissions on the specific page so that the content producer in the sub organization can choose to either keep the parent article or choose another they have written themselves. Then the content producer can actually switch back to the parent content if the parent content gets updated with some new, better and more up to date content. (ex. marketing campaign or product articles with other parameters).

This means that the parent administrator can control all sub organization structures until someone in the sub organization wants to change just small parts of the structure.

Does this sound to complex, or does it sound like a common realistic case?

Regards
Stephan Wetaas
Jorge Ferrer
Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE: Ide
April 17, 2009 5:45 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Stephan,

This is more complex than what I had in mind so far, since it involves not
only sharing content but also publication of that content, which is more
related to sharing pages and page templates.

We would probably target such functionality in a second phase, although it's
great to have in mind real use cases like this in mind to make sure they'll
be possible.

Thanks!
Stephan Wetaas
RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Core Development & Contributions] RE:
April 20, 2009 2:33 PM
Answer

Stephan Wetaas

Recent Posts

In an attempt to find a temporary workaround for our problem with parent/child organizations and sharing web content across organizations, we have studied the classes in the com.liferay.portlet.journal.service.impl package of the portal-impl project in Liferay. These classes produce SQL queries that retrieve articles based on groupId, among other parameters. We assume that the groupId ties the article to the organization. We have found that by modifying the SQL statements to include the groupId of the parent organization (i.e ‘groupId=myGroupId OR groupId=myParentId’), we are able to list the articles for both parent- and child organizations – thus producing the desired results. This modification basically means that when we attempt to retrieve articles for one groupId, we would also effectively retrieve all articles tied to the parent organization. This is not necessarily a problem in our scenario. We are, however, unsure of the impact of such a modification to Liferay.

Would this be a reasonable approach to temporarily solving the problem, or is there a significant risk that such a modification would effectively break the application?

One other thing, is it possible configure the web content listing overview to include a column describing which organization the web content belongs to, in an easy way?

Thanks in advance for possible inputs :-)

Regards
Stephan Wetaas
Victor Zorin
April 20, 2009 3:03 PM
Answer

Victor Zorin

Recent Posts

From my point of view, I would rather change the way your users navigate around pages, communities and organizations. In our multi-hierarchy collaboration setups, when not only web content is to be shared, but calendars, forums, wiki, ... everything; we remove dock navigation (which is a bit confusing to non-technical users) and make MyPlaces portlet navigation (we have posted source code a couple of months ago), which is either community or organisation-based.
This way, there is no need to do changes to Liferay core. But we had to completely overhaul the search capability, where it is executed based on user membership, and search results also deliver Community/Organisation where the item is located.
Jorge Ferrer
April 21, 2009 12:44 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Victor,

Can you remind me where you've posted the source code of the My Places navigation portlet ?

Do you think it would be something interesting to add to Liferay?
Jorge Ferrer
April 21, 2009 12:54 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Stephan,

Exactly, in this context the groupId represents an scope or repository of content. Each community or organization has one.

If we decide to do content sharing through the hierarchy the changes you've made would probably be part of the solution. There there are several more things to consider. Here are some of them that come to my mind right now:
  • You only mention a parent, but there can be many levels in the hierarchy so we would need to modify
  • Permissions. We would probably need to expand the concept of Organization Member so that a member of an org is also considered a member in all respects to avoid problems. There might also be some other permissions related issues that we might find.
  • Search: searches are done within the repository of the current scope. A similar change to what you've suggested for SQL calls would be needed for queries to the index
  • UI and navigation. If the parent org also has pages, should there be a link from each content to the pages where it's published in the parent community? I guess the answer to this should be no, because otherwise it would turn into a mess.

As you can see there are quite a few open points yet and I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible, specially regarding use cases and example scenarios to make the right decisions.
Victor Zorin
April 21, 2009 1:30 AM
Answer

Victor Zorin

Recent Posts

Can you remind me where you've posted the source code of the My Places navigation portlet ?

Jorge, here you are a couple of related links:
1. This one is a discussion about how to 'virtualise' multi-community space for a single user,
shared document library between communities
2. This one has source code attached,
My Places Portlet {RESOLVED}

Since this code was published, some interesting changes have been made to it, allowing to display 'virtual' hierarchy of communities for the user, while not changing anything in the core.

Later this week and if time permits, I may add to this thread a couple of screenshots with explanation that will show how do we arrange navigation within our multi-communal collaboration models. I also think that screendump of our search facility will also be useful for new developments in Liferay.

Jorge, from this discussion I could see that the suggested permissioning model gets complicated and therefore less clear. I believe that in our setup we were able to escape major headaches by leaving persmissions to be handled by community membership, and therefore leaving existing permissioning schema intact.

Not related question to Jorge, in June I'm going to be in Europe and Madrid, any Liferay actions/meetings are expected around this time?
Jorge Ferrer
April 21, 2009 1:59 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Thanks Victor. I'll be looking forward for those screenshots emoticon

Regarding your visit, I'll email you directly.
Jorge Ferrer
July 17, 2009 8:26 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

For those interested in this topic, the latest trunk has the first step towards content sharing already implemented.

It works by providing a Global space that only the administrator can manage. Any content in the global space will be publishable in any community or organization page. Also, web content structures and templates will be reusable all across the portal.

We still have to figure out how this affects search and make sure it doesn't have any side effect with permissions. Once that's done we'll be able to move ahead with sharing through organization hierarchies.

Feedback is welcome.
Joshua Asbury
July 17, 2009 8:51 AM
Answer

Joshua Asbury

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Thanks, Jorge. I'll begin playing with this next week. Question: Is this global space limited to the instance in which it resides or is it portal-wide?
Jonas Yuan
July 18, 2009 8:46 PM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Thank you, Jorge and Josh.

It seems that this global space is portal-wide ( at revision 34592). Is it correct?

I have created two instances successfully. Both of them have the shared Global. As you can see, the original instance has tag "global" in shared Global. But this tag is not copied into the second instance.

Just tested the shared Global. I can add tags (such as "global") in shared Global; but I can not share tags (such as "global") of shared Global in the Guest community. Is this proper behavior?

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
Liferay Books

Liferay Portal 5.2/5.3 Systems Development
Liferay Portal 4.4/5.0 Enterprise Intranets
Julio Camarero
July 20, 2009 12:21 AM
Answer

Julio Camarero

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Jonas,

it is not portal-wide, you have one different global scope for each portal instance. We thought this would be the most typical use case, do you think having a portal-wide scope would be interesting?

cheers,
Jorge Ferrer
July 20, 2009 12:22 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Josh,

The global scope is associated to the instance. We considered both options but ended up deciding that it would be more useful to have one global space per instance (aka company).

In any case, now that the infrastructure is in place we can do both. What would be the use cases for an installation wide space?
Jonas Yuan
July 20, 2009 8:41 AM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Hi Julio,

Thank you so much! When reading the term "Global", I just imagined that it would be portal-wide. It is very good to have one different global scope ("shared global") for each portal instance. But it would be better to reserve "Shared Global" for portal-wide scope, and clone another term for portal instance.

By the way, it would be interesting to have a portal-wide scope, too.

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
Liferay Books

Liferay Portal 5.2/5.3 Systems Development
Liferay Portal 4.4/5.0 Enterprise Intranets
Joshua Asbury
July 24, 2009 7:31 AM
Answer

Joshua Asbury

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Jorge -

I think that the instance-specific scope makes the most sense, but I can see a use-case for portal-wide content sharing. As an ASP who hosts multiple instances, it could be useful to show recent content across all of the different instances -- or at least have access to it. This might not be a common setup or request, but if someone is managing multiple instances, having access to content in the primary instance could be useful.
Jonas Yuan
September 15, 2009 5:34 PM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Hi Josh,

Any updates on sharing content across organizations?

I saw shared Global - the content in shared Global would be visible across organizations and communities. This is good feature.

You are right that portal instance-specific scope makes the most sense, but there are some use cases for portal-wide content sharing. Any updates on either instance-specific scope or portal-wide scope?

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
Liferay Portal 5.2 Systems Development
Liferay Portal Enterprise Intranets
Jonas Yuan
September 16, 2009 3:14 PM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Hi Jorge,

Any updates on sharing content across organizations or in organization hierarchy?

There are several clients who ask same question: want to share content and page settings across organizations or in organization hierarchy, directly.

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
Lucas Roberto Thomaz
October 23, 2009 11:53 AM
Answer

Lucas Roberto Thomaz

Recent Posts

Hi!

Any news? It's been a while, would have occurred some improvement in this service?
Does anyone have any news or solved this problem in another way?

Thanks in advance,
Jorge Ferrer
October 26, 2009 5:50 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Jonas, Lucas,

The functionality that has been implemented and approved for 5.3 is allowing sharing content (as well as structures, templates and categories) through the Global space.

It's still in consideration to allow sharing through the organization hierarchy but most probably this feature will be delayed for the next major release.

Jorge
Lucas Roberto Thomaz
October 26, 2009 6:02 AM
Answer

Lucas Roberto Thomaz

Recent Posts

Thanks for your answer Jorge,

I would like to test this new "organization hierarchy" that you said.
May I check out the last version in SVN repository for it?

Thank you,

Lucas Thomaz
Jorge Ferrer
October 29, 2009 7:41 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Lucas,

You can check out trunk from SVN to test the usage of the global space. As I mentioned, the ability to share through the organization hierarchy is still being considered and has not been implemented.
dain kaplan
November 6, 2009 9:09 AM
Answer

dain kaplan

Recent Posts

Jorge (or anyone else, for that matter),

Does the new Shared Global space have permissions, or can anyone/everyone access the WebContent? I ask because though the ideal setup would be content shared within hierarchies for us, if we can only show the globally shared content only to certain users, then we can achieve the desired effect. Content items do not individually need permissions, I am merely referring to seeing the global space or not (all or nothing).

I could check out the code and look around, but I thought (1) someone might have a quick reply and (2) this information might be useful to others with a similar question.

Cheers.
Jorge Ferrer
November 18, 2009 3:47 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Dain,

The way permissions are considered is precisely the hardest part of content sharing. My original proposal was to create an special condition so that all content in Global is visible for all users. That way it cannot happen that an administrator selects a document from Global but then the regular users cannot see it.

But that's not the way it's implemented yet (in trunk). We've left the permission system as it is to figure out what issues arise and find out what's the best solution for them.

If you can download trunk and help testing, it would be very useful. Note that there are several known bugs yet, but feel free to report any issues you find.
Jonas Yuan
November 25, 2009 8:16 AM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Hi Jorge,

Thanks. I got the feature sharing content (as well as structures, templates and categories) through the Global space for a while (in 5.3). It sounds good.

But the ideal solution would be: sharing content (or called assets) through the organization hierarchy. There are so many clients asking for this feature.

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
The Author of Liferay Books:
Joss Sanglier
December 6, 2009 5:57 AM
Answer

Joss Sanglier

Recent Posts

This is my current situation, which you can use as a case.

I am designing a liferay portal which will be used on top of an MMO. The amount of facilities open to users of the portal will depend on their game status. So:

Users can be free players or Premium players
Users can belong to a kingdom
Users can belong to a village community
Users have their own blogs and characters
Users can belong to guilds
Users may create ally communities

And so on.

As you can imagine it would be very easy for a player to have many associations, and wading through their menu structure could be maddening. Sharing certain pages would simplify this. For instance.

Free players get a technical help forum. However, this forum should be available to all. In an ideal world, One page would hold all boards that you have permission to see.

That page that contains the forum should always be listed in the pages in the top menu, which ever community you belong to.

Likewise, all players should be able to see news, so that page should be global.

However, some pages should be available to all premium players, regardless of which community they are viewing, but not to free players.

As you can imagine, there are many, many permutations.

In an ideal world, using scope, you should be able to choose which menu sets a page features on (communities or otherwise). A global scope is fine for some, but you may need to be able to be more selective for others.

Just to make it more complicated, you really need to flag a page as "automatically add to all new communities" so that when, in our case, a player forms a village in the game (and that automatically creates a portal equivalent in Liferay), certain shared scoped pages are automatically added. Otherwise, where you have hundreds of communities the entire system becomes unmanageable.
Igor Stipanov
December 8, 2009 6:10 AM
Answer

Igor Stipanov

Recent Posts

Hey Joss, this sounds pretty complex. Please, let us know how you solved it. We often have similar requirements, although not as complex as yours.
Joss Sanglier
December 8, 2009 6:29 AM
Answer

Joss Sanglier

Recent Posts

hehe

I haven't yet!

At the moment, I am looking at using Roles to a greater extent than normal. So a basic member will have one role and a premium member an additional role, for instance.

Then you can set pages to be viewable by one or more role.

But this is not the idea way of doing this.

You can on boards have a board accessible to only one role, but that means other players see somethign that is not accessible to them, which is not nice.

We will be designing portlets that means that liferay is far more integrated into an MMO than would be normal - so actions in the game can effect the portal, and vice versa.

However, that means the way Liferay is structured needs to be pretty flexible. But then, I think it should be anyway - it makes it more usable to far more people.
Fuad Efendi
January 1, 2010 10:13 AM
Answer

Fuad Efendi

Recent Posts

Typical use case is "share content", "delegate permissions", etc.

Currently, we have three primary tables: Group_, Organization_, and User_

Many-to-Many relationships between all of them (database schema allows that, but current interface doesn't implement all possible functionality).

We also have UserGroup table which we probably don't need.

LayoutSet table is simply extension to Group_, it has constraint: max 2 records per group, prefix/virtual for public pages, and for private pages.

All assets have a field: groupId. Asset Publisher uses it to show content of current group (in current Layout)

Ho to make that... DepartmentB of CompanyA has access to JournalArticlesA? Just link (both) Department B and Company A to same single record in Group_ table.

My suggestion is to separate clearly Group and Organization management tasks via Control Panel; existing database schema allows many things which we currently do not use. Probably we need to change LayoutSet... Link it to Organization instead of Group.

So that Organization (& LayoutSet) is a hierarchy (parent-child),

and Group is a feature to group assets, organizations, and users...

P.S. Let's forget AssetPublisher and don't change anything... but Interface is unclear; I can't have currently (via Control Panel) Organization B assigned to Group A ("owned by" parent Organization A); or, for instance, merge pages from Parent to Child.

P.P.S.
Another use case, very specific:
User must belong to a single Organization (Company)
Organization (Company) Admin has full power (including users)
Organization (Brand Company) may unite another Organizations (Companies) (something like Franchize)
Community (for instance, Mortgage Professionals) may unite Users (and, implicitly, their Companies)

Currently, record in Organization_ table may have single parent record; but for this use case we need to use in full many-to-many relationship with "type" attribute (Parent Organization, Partner Organization, Client Organization, Independent Association, etc.)
Jonas Yuan
February 21, 2010 8:54 AM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Hi Fuad,

I would like to propose following sharing content scheme

1. Sharing content across groups (organization, communities, my community) by specific permission SHARE – called shared-by-permission.

2. Sharing content by organization hierarchy - called shared-by-organization-hierarchy.

3. Sharing content across groups (organization, communities, my community) by membership - called shared-by-membership.

4. Sharing content across groups (organization, communities, my community) by subscription - called shared-by-subscription.

Refer to Sharing Content - Knowledge base - across Organizations and Communities

Hope that these could cover requirements,

Your suggestions?

Thanks

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
Fuad Efendi
February 19, 2010 12:54 PM
Answer

Fuad Efendi

Recent Posts

Hi Jonas,

I am thinking in terms of a database schema... All content has attributes companyId, groupId. SAAS (Software-as-a-Service) needs companyId.

Group_ table: each record has a type, it is very generic and extendable solution. We are currently using following (different) types:
com.liferay.portal.model.Group - "Guest Community", "Control Panel"
com.liferay.portal.model.Organization
com.liferay.portal.model.UserGroup - this is very specific... some content on some pages will be copied to user pages...
com.liferay.portal.model.User

Group_ is very generic; in a future version of Liferay, "Community" will be subtype of an Organization; etc.

UserGroup is strange... any samples of content with such specific grupId?

I think simplest solution to share content is to add "Select Group" dropdowns and/or "Merge With..." (two or more groups) option for configuration screens of portlets such as Asset Publisher, Document Library, and etc.; but we need additional type selection: User, Organization, ... (Group_ table is generic...)

Currently, "Document Library" for Organization page can have scope: Page, or Organization (I haven't tried it; probably we will have 5th type of Group_ records in this case).

We need to improve this scope functionality: select another organization, select specific user, merge with another organization, and etc. (so that we can't merge two folders of different organizations, but we can merge two document libraries)

And then, how to merge two document libraries; it seems technically difficult without adding helper table portletInstanceId_organizationId (single "document library" portlet instance has two records in this table if we "merge" two organizations); and user interface... a lot(?) of modifications in SQL.

"Merge" is a must-have for Web Content and related portlets (article-based websites), single-portlet-merge. In all other cases (as a workaround) we can have two portlet instances instead of one fat portlet; I can't see how can we merge two folders... with folder-based permissioning...
Jonas Yuan
February 26, 2010 12:16 PM
Answer

Jonas Yuan

Recent Posts

Hi Fuad,

Thank you for detailed info.

"Merge" maybe have two-level meaning:

1) "Merge" content in view: end users will see the merged content; but in database content did not get merged. Thus the feature of "merge" is configurable.

2) "Merge" content in database schema: this feature would be implemented by "copy" or "move". But after merging, it is difficult to revert.

Any comments?

Jonas Yuan