Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Jen Cooper
Which .jar file do I download from the oracle website?
September 17, 2013 1:50 AM
Answer

Jen Cooper

Recent Posts

When installing liferay 6.1.2 manually onto an existing tomcat version using the .war file, I am told the following in the manual:

Liferay requires an additional .jar on Tomcat installations to manage transactions. This is included in the bundle but you need to add it if you’re installing Liferay manually. You may find this .jar here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/jta/index.html. Place this file in Tomcat’s lib/ext folder.

When i go to this page, there is a number of downloads, and none are immediately apparent as a .jar file. Can anyone tell me which file I need to download and put into the lib/ext folder?

Thanks
Jen
Ahmed Hasan
RE: Which .jar file do I download from the oracle website?
September 17, 2013 2:02 AM
Answer

Ahmed Hasan

Recent Posts

Dear Jen,

The following documentation has clear instruction of how to setup LR on an existing app/web server like tomcat. Please go through this and if you still have questions, please feel free to revert back to me.

https://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.1/user-guide/-/ai/installing-liferay-on-an-existing-application-server

Yours truly,
Ahamed Hasan
Author, Liferay Portlet Cookbook
Jen Cooper
September 17, 2013 2:36 AM
Answer

Jen Cooper

Recent Posts

Thanks for that, but that is what I am already using to set up the portal. This is where I got the quoted paragraph above advising me to download the .jar file. What I was hoping to clarify is exactly which file I need to download from the URL given.

I have already proceeded with what i think is the right file, and will see how I go.

Thanks
Jen
David H Nebinger
September 17, 2013 5:42 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Jen Cooper:
When installing liferay 6.1.2 manually onto an existing tomcat version using the .war file, I am told the following in the manual:

Actually Jen you may be better served by downloading a Liferay tomcat bundle anyway. It will have all necessary jars that must be in the lib/ext directory, changes to conf/catalina.properties, ...

Pretty much everything you'll need to deploy Liferay into your existing tomcat...
Jen Cooper
September 17, 2013 6:16 AM
Answer

Jen Cooper

Recent Posts

Yeah, but I cannot do this because of the setup of my server through a hosting provider. It already has a version of tomcat installed, and apparently if I uninstall it I will not be able to get support via the hosting service. They are currently helping me to set the portal on their platform, so I am hopeful that I will be able to get it working.

I am fairly close to giving up and forgetting the whole project altogether. :-/
David H Nebinger
September 17, 2013 8:57 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

I'm not saying uninstall their tomcat; you can keep their tomcat, but the bundle download will provide all that you need to update their tomcat to run Liferay. It's pretty much a matter of creating lib/ext, populating it w/ jars from the bundle's lib/ext, then update catalina.properties. You'll also need to replace their ROOT with the ROOT from the bundle...

That will get you up and running with their tomcat and a Liferay core...