Jorge Ferrer
Proposal to remove the ability to group tags in Tag Sets
May 5, 2009 1:52 AM
Answer

Jorge Ferrer

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hey guys,

I'm working on several improvements to Liferay's support for tags and categories for 5.3 and as a result I realized that while for categories it makes a lot of sense to have a way to group them in vocabularies, for tags the reality is that being able to group them is confusing.

I originally proposed creating tag sets because it was easy and it couldn't do any bad, but over time I've been asked many times what tag sets are for. As part of the ongoing improvements the UI for managing tags and categories is being splitted so this would be a good moment to get rid of tag sets altogether (if we want to do it at all).

So my question is, does anyone have a good use case for Tag Sets or should we remove them completely?
Ibrahim Bakhit
RE: Proposal to remove the ability to group tags in Tag Sets
October 30, 2009 2:37 PM
Answer

Ibrahim Bakhit

Recent Posts

Hello Jorge and friends

I stumpled into this a litte late, however I would still appreciate it if you can take a look at this post (http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/2937115;jsessionid=B3920AE8CC2B8B9D4FEB892E92B6F909).

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to have a tag driven aggregation of content from several communities. I would like for the user to select a tag from a pool of tags managed by an admin and based on the user selection I can aggregate guest content (news, sports, etc). The guest content is really nothing other than an aggregation of private communities content where the user has allowed the guest to see.

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/2937115;jsessionid=B3920AE8CC2B8B9D4FEB892E92B6F909

It seems that the current tag code does not look into all tags from the various communities the user belong to (in my case users pages are created from default group templates). The query seems to limit the selection to only the tags the user herself/himself has created.

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. You may simply let me know the query being called and how to modify it to retrive tags from all tags the user has permission to rather than to only the tags they create.

By the way, even in this page I click on Select Tags or Suggestions and nothing happens (using ie 7). I am really looking for code generating the queries behind these two buttons and the best way to modify them.

Thanks

Ibrahim
Andreas Stangl
RE: Proposal to remove the ability to group tags in Tag Sets
October 14, 2010 5:30 AM
Answer

Andreas Stangl

Recent Posts

Jorge Ferrer:

... or should we remove them completely?

Can it be that there are no more tag sets in Liferay 6.0.5? At least I cannot find them anymore. emoticon

I personally found tag sets rather useful, but as long as there are category vocabularies I'll be fine emoticon