Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Mike Cunningham
Newbie would appreciate some advice
October 23, 2013 6:36 AM
Answer

Mike Cunningham

Recent Posts

Hi - I'm brand new to CMS and to Liferay - never setup either before, and would appreciate some advice, please.

I'm setting up CE-ga3 (Liferay + Tomcat bundle) in a Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS virtual machine on VMware ESXi 5.5
I've setup MySQL as the database provider, and created a minimal install portal-ext.properties file.
I've removed the welcome_theme.
I can successfully execute startup.sh with the expected results - one portal created with the Liferay.com site, plus private and public sites.
Now comes the part where I need advice/recommendations:

I'm not sure if I should be looking at two portals with one site each, or one portal with two sites...

My requirements are fairly simple -
I need an intranet site for the company users, accessible internally via http (port 80).
Only a few portlets are required - login, document and content, calendar, message boards and perhaps email.

I also need an extranet site for suppliers to upload and download documents, accessible via https (port 443) only
I'm guessing the only portlets required are login and document and content.
I would like some of the internal (intranet users), power users maybe to be able to upload and download content from this site/portal.

This is an SMB, with one non-static IP from their ISP - I've set the modem to bridge mode, their router can be configured
with port forwarding and the Liferay server was accessible from the internet (for a test).

So, what's the best way to proceed for what I need? Any gotchas to look out for? Anything I'm overlooking?

I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!

Mike
Anonymous
RE: Newbie would appreciate some advice
October 23, 2013 8:45 AM
Answer

Anonymous

One portal with two sites should be fine. You can set this up on one instance or even configure the portal to use two instances which means they will not share anything globally. But you can setup the sites for the most part to be separate from each other except to the omni-admin or roles you give privileges to.
Mike Cunningham
October 24, 2013 3:03 AM
Answer

Mike Cunningham

Recent Posts

Thanks.

I don't want to appear thick, but if I go with one portal, what's the best way to proceed?

Do I need 2 IP addresses on the server (one for each site)?, and how do I setup the right protocols to access each site?
(i.e. intranet=http, extranet=https)

Is there a resource that details this kind of framework for someone that's new to Liferay?

Mike
Ritresh Girdhar
October 25, 2013 6:07 AM
Answer

Ritresh Girdhar

Recent Posts

If you go for single portal , then you can create roles and assing permissions on your portlet .

Extranet users will able to access few portlets and intranet users will be able to access all.

We did the same for our intranet portal and few clients , But how you will achieve the non-static ip problem .
In our case we used the static ip and added IP Filter .

Regards
Rinku
Mike Cunningham
October 25, 2013 6:38 AM
Answer

Mike Cunningham

Recent Posts

ritresh girdhar:
If you go for single portal , then you can create roles and assing permissions on your portlet .

Extranet users will able to access few portlets and intranet users will be able to access all.

We did the same for our intranet portal and few clients , But how you will achieve the non-static ip problem .
In our case we used the static ip and added IP Filter .

Regards
Rinku

Thanks Rinku.

The non-static ip isn't an issue - I'll run a DDNS client and setup an account with DynDNS.

My main problem now is how to force external users to connect with https while internal users can access with http.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
November 6, 2013 6:11 AM
Answer

Mike Cunningham

Recent Posts

As follow up to my initial posts...

I am not having any luck implementing the solution I require.

I know this is probably an insignificant issue to the power users in this forum,
but I must be missing some key piece or pieces of information.

I have a single portal and a single restricted site with public and private pages.
The public and private pages each have a Documents and Media portlet,
each with one folder (public and private).

I want internal users to have access to both sets of pages (and folders),
and external users to have access to only the public pages and public folder

I have tried setting up an open site, a restricted site and a private site.
I have tried setting up 1 and 2 user groups (employees and non-employees).
I have tried setting up an organization and assigning employees only to the organization.

I obviously cannot figure out how to setup a simple intranet and extranet.

Can anyone help me with this, please? What am I missing?

Thanks.
Lisa Simpson
November 8, 2013 1:51 PM
Answer

Lisa Simpson

Recent Posts

I would advise you to go with 2 different URL's.

You can use your internal IP space 192.168.X.X for intranet.mydomain.com

You can use your external IP (what your ISP gives you) for extranet.mydomain.com

Set up dynDNS for extranet.mydomain.com and have done with the whole thing. You can run it all from a single instance on a single machine. Not sure how Windows handles multi-homing NIC's but I think you said you're using Ubuntu.

So create eth0 at 192.168.whatever and eth0:1 as what ever your ISP gives you. Or set up a NAT on your firewall so that extranet.mydomain.com only goes to mywebserver.com:443
David H Nebinger
November 8, 2013 2:32 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

Blah, everything that came before is really wrong.

Liferay supports the concept of 'sites', which are really vhosts. Each site will be bound to a virtual hostname and content/users/etc. can be shared or separated based upon the hostname used.

So the primary site, the one that is /web/guest, is the primary site and doesn't matter so much about hostname. But you can add another logical site and bind it to a hostname, i.e. "external.myhost.com", and Liferay will use the pages/content from the site's pages when that hostname is used.

You therefore take a lot of the difficult stuff off the table (worrying about two nics, network routing, etc.).