Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Ricardo Magalhães
Liferay 6.1.2 GA3 CE (CentOS + Apache Tomcat) environment with resources pr
January 7, 2014 4:00 AM
Answer

Ricardo Magalhães

Recent Posts

I have setup an production environment to a client with the following characteristics:

Single Virtual Machine:
- 2v CPUs
- 4 GB Ram

Software:
- CentOS 6 (64 bits)
- mySQL
- Apache httpd
- version 7 of java.
- Liferay 6.1.2 GA3

I tried to follow the instalations and setups by the book, nevertheless this Liferay server is having some odd behaviors. One of the behaviors is the memory consumption, that seems to be increasing as long as it is on, if we execute the Garbage Collector to free memory the server starts to work "normally" nevertheless it is a question of time until it starts to have a poor performance.

Another behavior has to do with the Java process consuming large amount of processor, at times it has reached the 200% of processor use.

The system is to be tested so at this time we have about 20 users on it, and a almost daily need to restart.

This Liferay server is linked to an Active Directory for authentication and has custom development has part of the implementation.

Can anyone give me some pointers to what can be the cause of these behaviors?

Thanks in advance.
James Falkner
RE: Liferay 6.1.2 GA3 CE (CentOS + Apache Tomcat) environment with resource
January 7, 2014 10:24 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Ricardo Magalhães:
I have setup an production environment to a client with the following characteristics:

Single Virtual Machine:
- 2v CPUs
- 4 GB Ram

Software:
- CentOS 6 (64 bits)
- mySQL
- Apache httpd
- version 7 of java.
- Liferay 6.1.2 GA3

I tried to follow the instalations and setups by the book, nevertheless this Liferay server is having some odd behaviors. One of the behaviors is the memory consumption, that seems to be increasing as long as it is on, if we execute the Garbage Collector to free memory the server starts to work "normally" nevertheless it is a question of time until it starts to have a poor performance.

Another behavior has to do with the Java process consuming large amount of processor, at times it has reached the 200% of processor use.

The system is to be tested so at this time we have about 20 users on it, and a almost daily need to restart.

This Liferay server is linked to an Active Directory for authentication and has custom development has part of the implementation.

Can anyone give me some pointers to what can be the cause of these behaviors?

Thanks in advance.

hey Ricardo! Welcome the the community. The "out of the box" configuration of Liferay is likely not tuned most efficiently for your specific environment and/or use case. It's difficult to say what could cause CPU and/or Memory consumption without a detailed introspection into your environment, but there are some guidelines and best practices in the performance whitepaper you may want to check out (there are other ones here too).

A daily restart with only 20 users on it is of course unacceptable for most production deployments, so there is certainly something going on. Follow the guide above, and also I would look at static and dynamic memory analysis using things like VisualVM to see if there are obvious memory and/or CPU hogs.
Ricardo Magalhães
RE: Liferay 6.1.2 GA3 CE (CentOS + Apache Tomcat) environment with resource
January 8, 2014 9:48 AM
Answer

Ricardo Magalhães

Recent Posts

Thanks James for the feedback.

In a first analysis we reach the conclusion that the resources available for the Liferay implementation were in need of increment.

So at this time we have advice to separate the Web Server and Database into different servers, as well as to increase the CPU number and RAM in the Web Server.

Now we are waiting for these adjustments to happen to continue the analysis.

One odd thing that is happening is that the Tomcat has stopped and we don't have any log information available in this.

We realized that the ldap sincronization was running every 10 minutes and this was very resources consuming, and the Java process on each sincronization was going to the roof . . . after changing the interval, because we though it could be the cause for the tomcat to go down, we have once more had the tomcat down with no log on it.

Is there a log setting that we can change to capture this situation?