toggle
Robert Schmitt
changes of classic-theme
April 12, 2010 3:56 AM
Answer

Robert Schmitt

Recent Posts

Hi,

i developed a theme with sdk6.0.0 for preview-version of LR6.0.0. Now i deployed the theme on a server with version 6.0.1 and most things don't work anymore. How does it come, that the whole html-structure changed?
Things i have modified:
- edited portal_normal.vm to add additional divs into banner and add side-navigation.
- edited custom.css

Did portal_normal.vm change with 6.0.1 and did the classic-theme change too? AND do i have to expect more changes until the final version of LR6 is released?
Robert Schmitt
RE: changes of classic-theme
April 12, 2010 5:43 AM
Answer

Robert Schmitt

Recent Posts

i got access to the newest build-sources now an indeed the portal-normal.vm has changed.

can anyone of the developers say if there is a chance that this will be unchanged in the final version, so that i can make an theme based on it?
Jonathan Neal
April 12, 2010 12:05 PM
Answer

Jonathan Neal

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Robert Schmitt:
Did portal_normal.vm change with 6.0.1 and did the classic-theme change too? AND do i have to expect more changes until the final version of LR6 is released?

Yes, it did change. I pushed some big changes into portal_normal.vm to improve website accessibility and SEO pickup. We also introduced the new breadcrumbs macro with 6. The very, very first developer preview had none of my changes (there just wasn't time), but since then it's been consistent.

IMO, the only change left is to replace TABLE-based layouts with DIV-based layouts, but I already swapped in the new classnames for that before the last RC was released (so you won't even notice this change).

I don't foresee any further *noticeable* theme-related changes making their way in. =)

Now, to be VERY upfront, I can think of two possible changes you MIGHT notice. I've proposed a change to breadcrumbs and I'd like our layouts to be DIV-based. So, again, these are the only areas I am concerned with altering. The DIV-based layouts proposal was a big hit on the forums, and I'm 99% sure that will make it in to the final. Now, neither of these changes are scheduled to make it in until the next RC has been released, but I'm working REALLY hard to get these in ASAP!

Jonathan
Robert Schmitt
April 15, 2010 2:48 AM
Answer

Robert Schmitt

Recent Posts

Thanks for your fast reply. Now i made it to make my theme for the last build.
I hope further changes will make it easy to use my current solution.

Regards, Robert
Ziggy ©
April 17, 2010 6:45 AM
Answer

Ziggy ©

Recent Posts

Jonathan Neal:

IMO, the only change left is to replace TABLE-based layouts with DIV-based layouts, but I already swapped in the new classnames for that before the last RC was released (so you won't even notice this change).

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Has Liferay 6.0 RC been released? Where was this announced? or did you mean the 5.2.3 RC?

Thanks
Jonathan Neal
April 26, 2010 2:29 PM
Answer

Jonathan Neal

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Ziggy,

A 6.0 RC is available, but it does not include the DIV-based layouts or the "add your own classname on a portlet" feature. The layouts are now in plugins and in the 6.0 nightly.

Jonathan
Ziggy ©
May 1, 2010 7:35 AM
Answer

Ziggy ©

Recent Posts

Yes i saw this the other day.
Thanks
Kirk Stork
May 23, 2010 1:02 PM
Answer

Kirk Stork

Recent Posts

Jonathan,

Thanks for the clarifications.

Could I ask for just a couple more?

In the 6.0.1 distribution, should I expect the following procedure to work yet?

1. Set up a local development environment with the 6.0.1 tomcat bundle.
2. Set up the 6.0.1 Plugin SDK, with a private build.<username>.properties file that points to the tomcat inside the bundle distro
3. Enter sdk_dir/themes and run ./create.sh my-theme "My Theme"
4. cd my-theme
5. ant deploy
4. Place a new file in docroot/_diffs called, say, base.css
5. in base.css make an entry like

body {
background: #0000FF;
}

4. run ant deploy
5. start up tomcat

Because, when I do that, I get unexpected results:

0. I go to the main page, and edit the look and feel. My theme is there, and I choose it.
1. The Nav bar css seems to not be read, as all the elements are rendered as if you were using lynx to view the page, one after the other in a vertical format with no styling.
2. The background color becomes white (#FFF)
3. When I inspect the page with an element browser, it says the background color is coming from :8080/my-theme/css/base.css
4. now in <tomcat>/webapps/my-theme I find

base.css, which contains my simple file with the blue background specification

and also css/base.css, which has the original

body {
background: #FFF;
font: 62.5%/1.4 Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;
}

So, I'm concluding that the deploy script isn't quite right, for 6.0.1, and I've failed so far to find a workaround, or, I'm missing some key point in the instructions for how to override the basic theme.

Thanks,
Kirk
Kirk Stork
May 24, 2010 12:07 PM
Answer

Kirk Stork

Recent Posts

Well, I've had an aha, that for me wasn't quite obvious from the documentation (but in retrospect should have been).

In my transcript above, the big error on my part was to not recognize that the _diffs directory needs to mirror the entire directory structure. So, where I had put files like base.css and custom.css as follows:

docroot/_diffs/custom.css

It should be going into

docroot/_diffs/css/custom.css

So one problem solved.

However, it appears the deploy script still doesn't build your theme as a diff against classic all by itself. After correcting my example, I see my changes, but other elements of the page revert to being unstyled (the nav bar and such, e.g.). I'm guessing this is by design.