Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Dave Weitzel
Re-deploying EXT projects
August 2, 2010 12:09 PM
Answer

Dave Weitzel

Recent Posts

I am trying to develop my standard extensions for liferay 6.0.4 while waiting for the struts portlet development to be available.

I understand there can only be one "ext" project for a server.

But how do you "re-deploy" so that change you make in the IDE are activated on the server?

It seems illogical to delete and then add it back in? Especially when only making a few changes to jsp files

is there another way of pushing updates to the server to test?

from what I can see hooks and portlets are able to be deployed automatically.
Gregory Amerson
RE: Re-deploying EXT projects
August 3, 2010 5:37 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

You can deploy an EXT plugin in the same manner as deploying hooks or portlets, but it may have to be manually publishing when you want to make a change. Also there is no "undeploy" yet when you deploy an EXT plugin, however you should be able to "deploy" again by clicking the server in the servers view and choosing "Publish" action that should cause the Ant deploy task to be executed again.
Dave Weitzel
August 3, 2010 3:13 PM
Answer

Dave Weitzel

Recent Posts

OK - I see the publish option on the server

I removed my initial extension as it wasn't clear what was happening - simple portal-ext.properties were not being picked up. so I removed the project (tw6assoc-ext) from the server and then created a new liferay ext project (test64-ext) and made just simple terms.of.use.journal.article.id property changes in the docroot/WEB-INF/ext-impl/src/portal-ext.properties file.

when I then deployed (drag and drop) to the server I get the error in the attached file about conflict with tw6assoc extension which had been deleted form the server and the server restarted.

so it looks like there is some clean up from deleting projects that isnt happening.

can you confirm that the file docroot/WEB-INF/ext-impl/src/portal-ext.properties will actually be deployed into <ext name>/WEB-INF/ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/classes/portal-ext.properties as it seems odd that it changes folder so dramatically.
Attachments: deployerror.txt (23.2k)
Dave Weitzel
August 4, 2010 8:00 AM
Answer

Dave Weitzel

Recent Posts

Greg

an update on this - there are many things that don't seem to be right here.

a) when deleting an ext project from a server it is leaving the ext-<name>-ext.xml file in the webapps/root.WEB-INF folder which then causes clashes if you try to install another ext project instead.

b) The portal-ext.properties file is being installed under ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/classes folder - shouldint it be under ext-impl/src like in the IDE?

c) The portal-ext.properties file in ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/classes is being ignored anyway

I have tried copying it into WEB-INF/portal.properties file and other combinations but cannot get it to be picked up by the system on restart - just where are the portal property extensions meant to be deployed?

I can copy into root/WEB-INF/classes for now so I can continue making extensions (all I am doing for now is the stuff in the 5.2 system developers book to learn the process!)

d) I still cannot redeploy if all I do is update this file. selecting the server and publish from the menu doesn't do anything

I'm using the nightly IDE build - I changed the update path in the eclipse/galileo configuration to /nightly/ from /stable/ and it found some new code.
Rick Archibald
August 12, 2010 4:48 PM
Answer

Rick Archibald

Recent Posts

I'm having the same challenges using the 6.0.4 build of the liferay-tomcat bundle. I've created a Liferay Plug-in Project with a Plug-in Type of "Ext" called Authentication. The first thing I'm trying to accomplish is to edit the portal-ext.properties which had already been created in the docroot/WEB-INF/ext-impl/src directory in the new project. It was blank, so I added all properties I wanted to override. I originally ran into contention problems with another ext-plugin project I had unsuccessfully tried to create. I deleted all the files that had that old ext-plugin project name, and I didn't get the contention errors any longer. However, I'm still not seeing the portal changes I'm expecting through the portal-ext.properties file.

Same as Dave, the portal-ext.properties file gets created in the project I'm working on at webapps/Authentication-ext/WEB-INF/ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/classes. However, I wonder if I should be doing something differently so that the portal-ext.properties file gets written to the ROOT web application.
Rick Archibald
August 12, 2010 5:06 PM
Answer

Rick Archibald

Recent Posts

Rick Archibald:

Same as Dave, the portal-ext.properties file gets created in the project I'm working on at webapps/Authentication-ext/WEB-INF/ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/classes. However, I wonder if I should be doing something differently so that the portal-ext.properties file gets written to the ROOT web application.

Hmm, I think I've found where the ROOT application is supposed to pull components from my Authentication project - I came across the webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/ext-Authentication-ext.xml file which had the following contents:

1<ext-info>
 2<servlet-context-name>Authentication-ext</servlet-context-name>
 3<files>
 4<file>ext-impl/classes/com/liferay/portal/deploy/dependencies/ext-Authentication-ext-util-bridges.jar</file>
 5<file>ext-impl/classes/com/liferay/portal/deploy/dependencies/ext-Authentication-ext-util-java.jar</file>
 6<file>ext-impl/classes/com/liferay/portal/deploy/dependencies/ext-Authentication-ext-util-taglib.jar</file>
 7<file>ext-web/docroot/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF</file>
 8<file>ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/liferay-portlet-ext.xml</file>
 9<file>ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/portlet-ext.xml</file>
10<file>ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/struts-config-ext.xml</file>
11<file>ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/tiles-defs-ext.xml</file>
12<file>ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/web.xml</file>
13</files>
14</ext-info>

Should there be a reference to the portal-ext.properties file in here somewhere or is that folded into the code elsewhere?
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 26, 2011 8:45 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Gregory Amerson:
Also there is no "undeploy" yet when you deploy an EXT plugin, however you should be able to "deploy" again by clicking the server in the servers view and choosing "Publish" action that should cause the Ant deploy task to be executed again.

Can you shred some light into the direction you're going with this. ext plugin have to be undeployed before it can be redeployed or the ant deploy would result in an conflict error.

Thomas offered a resolution and I was wondering which way you'll be heading. It's a pain to do a manual undeploy during development.
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-14221
Gregory Amerson
January 27, 2011 7:19 AM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

The Thomas solution will only be available at the earliest in 6.1. So for 6.0 there are the mechanisms that are going to be available in the upcoming Liferay IDE 1.5 release.

* For deploy (publish) the IDE actually does "direct-deploy".
* For redeploy (republish) the IDE just does another "direct-deploy"
* When you undeploy the project from the Server in the IDE nothing happens since there is no true "undeploy".
* However there is a "clean-app-server" command that you can do that will restore the tomcat bundle back to its original. You can perform this with some extra steps that will be documented when Liferay IDE 1.5 is released.
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 27, 2011 3:39 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Thanks for the reply.
I'll be looking forward for the 1.5 then.