toggle
Prashanth Veldhi
Liferay comparison with GateIn and Jetspeed
December 9, 2010 10:49 PM
Answer

Prashanth Veldhi

Recent Posts

Hi All,
I am evaluating Portal platform and need statistic report to push liferay as the best suited product for developing Horizontal Portals.
The comparison is with GateIn and Jetspeed.
Do we have any links and information in liferay site?

thanks,
--prashanth.
Mika Koivisto
RE: Liferay comparison with GateIn and Jetspeed
December 13, 2010 4:54 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Liferay was named a Leader in the Magic Quadrant for Horizontal Portals by Gartner. Check this report.
Prashanth Veldhi
December 15, 2010 6:44 AM
Answer

Prashanth Veldhi

Recent Posts

thanks mika, very useful information.

Along with this, I would like to know the reason why Liferay is bundled with a openportal portlet container.
Can i give this as a unique feature that liferay has...while evaluating portals.
I can understand that we need to change the portal.properties and change the property "portlet.container.impl=sun"..but do we have justification..why would someone switch to different portlet container?
Mika Koivisto
December 15, 2010 11:10 AM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

That's not the case anymore with Liferay 6.0. Sun ditched their own custom portal and based it on top of Liferay. That is why it was there and no one using Liferay would really use it.
Prashanth Veldhi
March 2, 2011 1:00 AM
Answer

Prashanth Veldhi

Recent Posts

thanks for ur support
Liferay has emerged as a winner for developing quick lightweight portal.

My Experience on Liferay 6.0.5:
---------------------------------

1. Theme & Layout customization : Easy to customize the themes and layout, not much learning curve required to understand. Just a knowledge of velocity objects most of the use is with themedisplay object. Best way to start with is to have a look at the out of the box theme provided by Liferay bundle (COGNOZ theme).

2. Drag and Drop - The drag and drop of portlets is on the fly with out user being taken to edit mode. this is excellent user experience.

3. Framework support : good support of latest popular frameworks like Spring 3,PortletFaces(Mojarra),ICEFACES 2.0,Wicket,Struts. No class loader issues and everything works smoothly.

4. OOTB : excellent collaboration features provided with zero development time. specially blogs, message boards

5. Nested Portlets & Web Content display : Not seen nested portlet feature in other popular portals. This is a nice feature for grouping portlets within portlets. Easy to use webcontent portlet and good FCKeditors to develop web content.

6. WorkFlow : Good support for workflow task configuration using Kaleo / Jbpm workflowengine. Now we can implement workflow of approvals on any assets.

7. Plugins : Hooks are powerful plugins for intercepting the action events. usage of hook is highly recommended than extensions. They are hot deployable.

8. Application Servers : Liferay runs on almost all the Java EE compliant web containers. This is major advantage in terms of migration and cost benefit analysis.

9. Memory Footprint : Lighter than websphere / weblogic/ GateIN

10. Development Community : very active community to address and respond the queries...

11. Tabbed Portlets : One of the requirement was to develop tabbed portlets, which I did not give much importance as it is minor and I could achieve it with JSF components. This is one area where liferay has to focus...coz other portals provide tabbed features...out of the box.

12: Compliance : Supports JSR 286 specification.

Overall experience with Liferay is good in terms of developing a light weight portal with good OOTB features. Strength of liferay is with simplicity in customizing themes and layout and sufficient amount of OOTB portlets necessory to develop a mix of horizontal and vertical portals.
Mika Koivisto
May 9, 2011 4:00 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Nice summary Prashanth.
Hitoshi Ozawa
May 9, 2011 5:18 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Prashanth,

Thanks for uploading the comparision. I hope you won't mind if I use your findings in my Japanese documents page in the wiki.
Prashanth Veldhi
May 28, 2011 12:16 PM
Answer

Prashanth Veldhi

Recent Posts

thanks to all...

that would be great to add to Japanese documents.

here is my view on Content management :

1. It is clear from the roadmap demo that Liferay is concentrating more on improving the present Content managment and bringing portlets like image gallery, document management, webcontent management together under a single framework.

2. Liferay has good integration mechanism with various content management systems...

3. Good articles are there in wiki for liferay + Alfresco integration and DAY CQ5 provides OOTB CQ5 portal director portlet to integrate Liferay with DAY...

Liferay Portal with good CM combination is best approach for building portals for
1. integrating feeds from different systems
2. manage assets and web content (authoring, publishing and versioning)
3. provide portal features on top of it.

Mobility:
The mobility feature introduced in Liferay 6 site is mind blowing, as you resize the browser window the content changes. Appreciate great work being done in Alloy UI.