Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
anoop halgeri
Liferay and Amazon RDS
December 15, 2010 2:40 AM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

If I use Liferay 6.x on Amazon EC2 environment with a redhat distribution, can it work if I decide to choose RDS as my database instead of installing MySql or any other DB server on my own? If it is possible, can anyone point me to some right articles?
anoop halgeri
RE: Liferay and Amazon RDS
December 15, 2010 2:42 AM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

I am also keen to understand the hibernate aspects of it, I know that Liferay uses hibernate extensively internally. So how will the RDS configuration work?
Also, I use hibernate in all my custom portlets that I create using Spring MVC. Are there any known issues with that working on a EC2 cloud environment?
anoop halgeri
December 21, 2010 2:53 AM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

Have I posted this in the wrong place? I am not recieving even one answer..
James Falkner
December 21, 2010 1:26 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

anoop halgeri:
I am also keen to understand the hibernate aspects of it, I know that Liferay uses hibernate extensively internally. So how will the RDS configuration work?
Also, I use hibernate in all my custom portlets that I create using Spring MVC. Are there any known issues with that working on a EC2 cloud environment?

I've never used RDS, but from googling around it should work with Liferay (though not supported in the paid EE version -- mainly because we haven't tested it or run into customers who want to use it).

It appears that you configure Liferay as though you are going to use it with MySQL - in that you can use the in-built mysql drivers and configuration for Liferay. You shouldn't have to mess with Hibernate configuration (at least from Liferay's perspective) to use RDS as your portal database.

For details on how to configure Liferay for mysql, see here. But the short answer is to add this to your portal-ext.properties file (located one directory above your app server or servlet container directory):

2    jdbc.default.driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
3    jdbc.default.url=jdbc:mysql://<db-hostname>/lportal?useUnicode=true&characterEncoding=UTF-8&useFastDateParsing=false
4    jdbc.default.username=lportal
5    jdbc.default.password=<whatever your password is>

This is assuming your database name and database username within mysql is lportal.
anoop halgeri
December 23, 2010 3:11 AM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

thanks James for responding to my query.

James Falkner:

I've never used RDS, but from googling around it should work with Liferay (though not supported in the paid EE version -- mainly because we haven't tested it or run into customers who want to use it).

I pretty much configure the liferay to MySql in the way you have mentioned in the above post. so no changes there and i am glad that you pointed out.

We are more interested in knowing the RDS integration aspects of Liferay. We are planning to host an application built on liferay portal on Amazon EC2 cloud. We are planning to purchase the EE version of Liferay for support. If there is no RDS support from Liferay, then we may decide not to use RDS. But Amazon is pushing hard on RDS usage and we are interested in exploring some options with RDS since we feel that it can take out a lot of DB maintanence activity from our shoulders.

I want additional details on the suggested configurations from Liferay end on this, before we make a final call on the product stack we want to ensure that we have all the details in place and we make a intelligent choice.
Mika Koivisto
December 28, 2010 2:59 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

From what I read RDS is MySQL so it should be fully compatible with Liferay. Now if you are planning on using EE I would double check from our sales and support if they are willing to support it even though it's not on the list of supported DBs.
anoop halgeri
December 29, 2010 4:44 AM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

Thanks very much folks, looking forward to hear from you..
anoop halgeri
January 7, 2011 12:11 AM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

No Updates on this yet. Can any of you please let me know..
James Falkner
January 12, 2011 7:00 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I think we're waiting for *you* to check with your sales/support contacts on supportability emoticon
anoop halgeri
January 16, 2011 9:48 PM
Answer

anoop halgeri

Recent Posts

We have not bought in the Liferay portal EE yet, we are still evaluating how well the Liferay portal server would gel well more from a technical aspect, if it does, then we will go in for buying the EE. Is there any other documentation or case study that is listed and publicly available?
James Falkner
January 17, 2011 9:44 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I've not been able to find any.
Mika Koivisto
January 27, 2011 1:58 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I recently came across this blog post where the poster booted up Liferay agains Amazon RDS and apparently it worked. And why wouldn't it. RDS is just Amazon's version of MySQL. His only comment was to not use RDS remotely so if you are running Liferay on Amazon EC2 you should be fine.
Corentin R
February 24, 2012 6:31 AM
Answer

Corentin R

Recent Posts

Hi Mika and James,
Thanks to your recommandations and blogs I've just deployed a fresh Liferay 6.1 GA on Amazon ElasticBeanstalk combined with the use of Amazon RDS as database.
Just wanted to thank you for your help and inform you that it still works as you expected even with LR61.

Everything seems working fine. The only issue I could notice is that the charts of server administration panel doesn't display due to an esception in DisplayChart service.
I've also tryed Jelastic and time responses are approximatively the same.

My next step would be to use horizontal scaling of Jelastic and try a m1.small instance instead of the t1.micro for Amazon to validate those PAAS for other uses than demo purpose.