Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Corné Aussems
Liferay 6.0.6 GA4 ETA
December 22, 2010 12:26 PM
Answer

Corné Aussems

Recent Posts

There is some buzz on Liferay 6.0.6 GA4.
In order to get our improvements in could we get an ETA on that?
James Falkner
RE: Liferay 6.0.6 GA4 ETA
December 22, 2010 12:53 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Corné Aussems:
There is some buzz on Liferay 6.0.6 GA4.
In order to get our improvements in could we get an ETA on that?

Hey Corné,

We're shooting for end of January for 6.0.6 GA4 release, but of course if we run into issues that could slip. Vacations and the imminent EE service pack releases are taking up our time this holiday season. So please "act with haste" on those improvements emoticon Once we have a list of what's going into 6.0.6 I'll publish them. We are using the JIRA votes to figure out what to put in (along with several other critical issues that we or customers have found that may not have gotten the JIRA votes).

This is the kind of thing that will eventually show up on the community announcements section of the new landing page, as well as occur in roadmap discussions!
Corné Aussems
December 22, 2010 1:03 PM
Answer

Corné Aussems

Recent Posts

Hi James,
The improvements are translation related and in the first weeks of January we will be ready.
Thanks for the update
Tobias Käfer
December 22, 2010 1:11 PM
Answer

Tobias Käfer

Recent Posts

It is very good to have some kind of a perspective. Even if it not a fixed date.
Since there are a lot of bugs that have been found and fixed for the 6.0.5 release, it is very good to know, that my liferay-bugfixes-ext plugin might get less entries ;).

One thing that is buggung me about those issues:
If fixes are set to be included for 6.1.x (eg. http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-12474) but there are patches submitted in the trunk, will they be included in a 6.0.x release or will they be only available for 6.1.x?

PS:
I wish the Liferay team a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Thank for the good work and for the big improvements in the last months.
So keep it up like this.
James Falkner
December 23, 2010 6:17 AM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Tobias S. Käfer:
It is very good to have some kind of a perspective. Even if it not a fixed date.
Since there are a lot of bugs that have been found and fixed for the 6.0.5 release, it is very good to know, that my liferay-bugfixes-ext plugin might get less entries ;).

Yeah, sorry that our releases might overshadow yours emoticon You may be interested to hear there is another community member who has gathered 50 or more bugfixes and is also going to do something similar to your plugin, and release a 6.0.5++ emoticon

One thing that is buggung me about those issues:
If fixes are set to be included for 6.1.x (eg. http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-12474) but there are patches submitted in the trunk, will they be included in a 6.0.x release or will they be only available for 6.1.x?

They will only be included in 6.1 unless they are voted enough times or deemed important enough to be backported to 6.0.x. That one in particular has been marked to be backported to 6.0.x, so it will eventually find its way into a 6.0.x CE release, but the backport hasn't been done yet.

PS:
I wish the Liferay team a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Thank for the good work and for the big improvements in the last months.
So keep it up like this.

Hey, thanks, and same to you! Looking forward to a fun 2011.
Amit Aggarwal
January 2, 2011 1:34 PM
Answer

Amit Aggarwal

Recent Posts

Happy New Year!

I was wondering if there is a wiki page that could describe what the various terminology means in the JIRA system. For example, when you said:

"They will only be included in 6.1 unless they are voted enough times or deemed important enough to be backported to 6.0.x. That one in particular has been marked to be backported to 6.0.x, so it will eventually find its way into a 6.0.x CE release, but the backport hasn't been done yet."

does that mean that anything which is marked in JIRA as "Backport version 6.0.x" will find it's way into the next 6.0.6 CE release? Also what is the significance of "Backport committed and Rank".. I guess my main question is, when you said "..but the backport hasn't been done yet," is this somehow reflected in the JIRA ticket?

Also, I would like to submit a patch for a bug I found with the solr plugin. But I'm not sure what the best method to contribute the fix.

Anyway, it would be great if this page could be updated with terminology and significance:

http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/JIRA
Olaf Kock
January 3, 2011 1:44 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Amit Aggarwal:
Also, I would like to submit a patch for a bug I found with the solr plugin. But I'm not sure what the best method to contribute the fix.

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions. I'll leave the terminology for others who are more familiar with the actual Jira workflow, but I can answer the quoted question:

The best, easiest (and as far as I know only) way to get a patch into Liferay is to open a ticket, describe what you're fixing, attach a patch and set the ticket to "Contributed Solution". This step includes licensing your patch so that we can use it in the product.
James Falkner
January 3, 2011 12:16 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Amit Aggarwal:
Happy New Year!

I was wondering if there is a wiki page that could describe what the various terminology means in the JIRA system. For example, when you said:

"They will only be included in 6.1 unless they are voted enough times or deemed important enough to be backported to 6.0.x. That one in particular has been marked to be backported to 6.0.x, so it will eventually find its way into a 6.0.x CE release, but the backport hasn't been done yet."

does that mean that anything which is marked in JIRA as "Backport version 6.0.x" will find it's way into the next 6.0.6 CE release? Also what is the significance of "Backport committed and Rank".. I guess my main question is, when you said "..but the backport hasn't been done yet," is this somehow reflected in the JIRA ticket?

Disclaimer: I am still learning how Liferay uses JIRA. There are many "custom" fields (like "Backport Committed" and "Rank") that we've added to our installation, and I don't know what they all mean (yet).

After some research, "Backport Committed" means that we feel the issue needs to be backported to an EE (enterprise edition) release in the form of a a Service Pack (SP). "Rank" is our internal way to prioritize the issue since the base JIRA doesn't have a way to assign an absolute priority number. Internally, we use a plugin called "Greenhopper" that shows the issues based on this rank. We use this to plan which bugs get fixed when. I know it hasn't been backported yet because the "Fixed-In" field doesn't contain one of the service pack release numbers.
Amit Aggarwal
January 3, 2011 7:50 PM
Answer

Amit Aggarwal

Recent Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm really starting to enjoy this. I find I randomly checkout svn.liferay.com and issues.liferay.com when I'm board.. really looking forward to the next release.

I filed http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-14559 for the SOLR bug and solution.
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 4, 2011 4:34 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Can you tell me the last date to submit translation for the 6.0.6 release?
I'm still ironing out some mistranslations in the Japanese pack but would like to see them in the 6.0.6 release.
Olaf Kock
January 6, 2011 12:56 PM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I don't know anything about the date, other than it won't be the very immediate future (like in 2 weeks) - but...

There's no problem submitting multiple patches for the translation. We exercised this for 6.0.5 for the german Translation. Tobias submitted and announced a new patch every few days, Julio committed these happily (see that smiling face next to his comments in that thread?)

This is great in that it demonstrates some activity and might even provide help if you can make obvious in which areas you'll be working next. Just make sure to create a new ticket, attach the patch and announce the ticket in the translation forum (e.g. here)
James Falkner
January 6, 2011 1:22 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

We are shooting for the end of January, so I would say get them in no later than January 21. Of course, if some of the backports of bugs run into problems, this date could slip. Translations, however, can be added just before QA of the whole thing.
Hitoshi Ozawa
January 8, 2011 6:06 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

I'll try to get the Japanese translations in but I'm much more concerned about the program changes because changing the properties files is not too much of a problem.

Would the RSS patch be incorporated. Seems many users here are using RSS for announcements and really need it working.
http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/6920473
Victor Lee
February 28, 2011 11:00 PM
Answer

Victor Lee

Recent Posts

Hi,

Any updates on when 6.0.6 GA4 will be released? Thanks!
James Falkner
March 1, 2011 1:38 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Victor Lee:
Hi,

Any updates on when 6.0.6 GA4 will be released? Thanks!

See this thread.
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 1, 2011 1:59 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

At most three more days. Right? :-)

I think everybody is waiting for this release because 6.0.5 requires a patch before it can actually be used with IE.
James Falkner
March 4, 2011 1:19 PM
Answer

James Falkner

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hitoshi Ozawa:
At most three more days. Right? :-)

I think everybody is waiting for this release because 6.0.5 requires a patch before it can actually be used with IE.

It's out. check out liferay.org for pointers.
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 7, 2011 8:35 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Hurray! I just downloaded it. Have to check it out.

I've also downloaded the IDE. It seems the new release of the IDE was made public also. :-)