Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Hitoshi Ozawa
Portlet Message Translation
March 27, 2011 6:30 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Some standard portlet such as weather, stock, and dictionary are functionally US/English
specific. How are people translating messages in these portlets? For example, "City or Zip
Code" in weather portlet actually implies city or zip code in US. How are you translating this?

Are people beside me creating a localized version of these portlets?
Corné Aussems
RE: Portlet Message Translation
March 27, 2011 11:25 PM
Answer

Corné Aussems

Recent Posts

Ik try to translate the keys as much as is;
So in particular case; Stad of postcode (Town or postalcode)

users willen find out themselvws it is us only
Julio Camarero
March 28, 2011 12:26 AM
Answer

Julio Camarero

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

In Spain we also use city and zip code so we don't have this problem. How would you do it in Japan? would you need different fields?
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 28, 2011 1:49 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

In Spain we also use city and zip code so we don't have this problem. How would you do it in Japan? would you need different fields?

You're not understanding the question. The weather portlet seems to only accept city and zipcode in US. The question is whether this should just be translated as "city" and "zip code" or as "city in US" and "Zip code in US". The current Japanese translation is on the later.
Julio Camarero
March 28, 2011 8:15 AM
Answer

Julio Camarero

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi Hitoshi,

the portlet does accept cities or zip codes from other countries. I just tested city "Madrid" and a zip code from Madrid and it worked perfectly.

cheers
Hitoshi Ozawa
March 28, 2011 2:55 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

the portlet does accept cities or zip codes from other countries. I just tested city "Madrid" and a zip code from Madrid and it worked perfectly.

Well, I entered "東京" and it didn't so I retract my earlier post about the portlet only accepting US cities and rephrase it as not accepting Japanese cities and post codes.

Weather portlet may be a bad example. How about the stock portlet which is installed in the default Liferay installation. Does it accept quotes from Madrid Stock Exchange?

To note, I'm just trying to bring up a topic because as I'm looking through different languages, there seems to be some differences and just wanted to know if everyone is aware about the issue.