toggle
Michael Wall
Jive vs Liferay?
April 19, 2011 10:20 AM
Answer

Michael Wall

Recent Posts

Hi,

We have a Liferay EE implementation, which for non technical reasons ('social business') we are now considering replacing with a Jive SBS implementation.

My main reasons for choosing Liferay (which still stand) was for extensive Enterprise Integration flexibility, supported Infrastructure matrix, flexibility in supported technologies (UI, ORM etc) and out of the box functionality.

While Jive supports OpenSocial API and custom widgets using Struts 2 (with JSP and Freemaker (similar to Velocity)), Spring JDBC Templates, SOAP and REST, there doesn't seem to be an extensive Developer community developing bespoke enterprise widgets.

Jive is also based on open source frameworks / projects but is pretty closed in that it isn't supported on Windows and Tomcat is the only App Server supported.

I'm waiting to get my hands on a non SaaS evaluation but am interested in any practical experience any Liferay devs / admins may have of Jive. Any thoughts?

I'm familiar with the opensocial-portlet.war and social-networking-portlet.war LR plugins, and that both Jive and LR can be fully skinned with custom themes, Jive not being portlet container etc.
Mika Koivisto
RE: Jive vs Liferay?
April 19, 2011 1:01 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Probably not that many Jive admins here although ex-Users you might find. What I've dealt with Jive was pre SBS and back then we ran into scalability problems and the client ended up ditching Jive to Liferay which was my initial recommendation anyways. They chose Jive initially because they already had it deployed and people (moderators) trained to use it.
Roguen Keller
RE: Jive vs Liferay?
September 7, 2013 5:18 AM
Answer

Roguen Keller

Recent Posts

Hi Michael,
This is an old thread, but thought I would speak up in it anyway as someone who has a lot of Jive experience and very little LR experience at this point.

My main reasons for choosing Liferay (which still stand) was for extensive Enterprise Integration flexibility, supported Infrastructure matrix, flexibility in supported technologies (UI, ORM etc) and out of the box functionality.
While Jive supports OpenSocial API and custom widgets using Struts 2 (with JSP and Freemaker (similar to Velocity)), Spring JDBC Templates, SOAP and REST, there doesn't seem to be an extensive Developer community developing bespoke enterprise widgets.

I feel these are correct assertions but want to clarify on a few items. The Jive platform can provide integration with larger enterprise systems, but it is true that these do not come out of the box (or seldom at best) and the community does not actively develop and convey them. Usually these are developed as plugins to the platform and are purpose built for the company. Like any non-OOB item, it gets tricky when it's time to upgrade the platform.

Jive is also based on open source frameworks / projects but is pretty closed in that it isn't supported on Windows and Tomcat is the only App Server supported.

It's not supported, but it does run on these. Many of our developers for the platform are deployed to Windows machine and we have more than one deployment also running on Tomcat, Windows and their own SQL.

I'm familiar with the opensocial-portlet.war and social-networking-portlet.war LR plugins, and that both Jive and LR can be fully skinned with custom themes, Jive not being portlet container etc.

You are correct. Jive is not a portlet container, but can, and usually is skinned heavily. We call this "themeing".

In the end, I think the platforms serve much different purposes. When you are focusing on Social Business and a Collaboration portal, Jive is a feature rich platform which does a great job of encouraging participation and surfacing relevant content to the user (through it's use of Jive genius and customizable streams). It can be stretched outside of it's comfort zone with custom plugins and themes, but if you're going far outside of these, looking for real Enterprise Integration, then it sounds like you are better to align with Liferay or hybrid system that takes the best of both worlds, building a seamless user experience (which btw, is not an easy prospect in many cases).