toggle
Miguel Doctor
Workspace issues and importing portlets from CVS
October 24, 2012 1:53 AM
Answer

Miguel Doctor

Recent Posts

Hi everybody,

We are starting a new development project using Liferay EE with external tomcat 7 server + Liferay Developer Studio + CVS

My question is related to the way to handle the LDS workspace. As far as I know when I create a new portlet-project into the Liferay Developer Studio, this project is not created physically inside the LDS workspace. but instead created into an other folder below the Liferay SDK folder… it means that all port lets (source code, libraries, resources…) are stored into Liferay Studio installations folders and if we want to upgrade Liferay Studio we have to copy all this portlets into the now Liferay Studio folder structure manually which is not a very good deal…

The other problem we have (we think this is related to behaviour explained before) if now another developer check out the portlet from CVS (using import) which was started by somebody else, this portlet will be created entirely into the personal workspace of the person who imported the portlet. Then the portlet doesn't work and we got the next problem description: "No Liferay Plugin SDK configured on project <name of project> ". We found out the developer studio needs this portlet project to be also available under the sdk-liferay installation folder. The way we work around is to create a dummy portlet project with the same name as the project we want to import from CVS before the actual import. This results in the creation of the build structure for that portal project under the sdk-liferay folder and the physical CVS checked out of the portlet project code into the workspace, and then it seems to work. This is not a very optimized procedure, we believe it could be a bug into the build script file of the liferay plugin… does anybody how to fix it?? or has a better solution??

Thanks in advance
Gregory Amerson
RE: Workspace issues and importing portlets from CVS
October 29, 2012 9:25 PM
Answer

Gregory Amerson

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hello Miguel,

You are correct, the current structure of a liferay plugin project requires that it be physically located in a plugins sdk structure. Upgrading from SDK to SDK does now involve manual copying, there is no automated process unfortunately.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Liferay+IDE+Sharing+Projects It describes the process that you have already figured out for yourself, namely that the best approach may be to check the entire SDK folder structure into source control. Then other developers can simply check out the SDK and then import existing projects from context menu.

Let me know if there is any more questions regarding this.
Miguel Doctor
November 13, 2012 7:23 AM
Answer

Miguel Doctor

Recent Posts

Hello Gregory,

Thanks for your reply. We have tested the two methods mentioned in the link you provided me with. It's a useful temporal solution and it works in deed. Anyway I hope this procedure will cover in future for new versions of the Liferay plugin.

Once again, thank you very much!
David H Nebinger
November 13, 2012 7:51 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Recent Posts

Gregory Amerson:
http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Liferay+IDE+Sharing+Projects It describes the process that you have already figured out for yourself, namely that the best approach may be to check the entire SDK folder structure into source control. Then other developers can simply check out the SDK and then import existing projects from context menu.

I'd argue that this is not the best approach... We create separate projects to ensure some amount of isolation between projects, and using the whole SDK as a single project brings quite a bit of baggage to the process. Synchronizing changes on such a large project, even when the changes are localized to a single plugin, can still be a headache in the long run.

I prefer the manual project checkout approach where you need to specify the directory to check the project out to. It's only one page of the CVS checkout process and it is actually pretty helpful in identifying the SDK directory to check the project out to.

Developers sometimes stumble during this checkout, but it is quickly identified and resolved.

And it also provides the project isolation that really must be maintained.