Portal users are geographically located by their ip's and displayed with Google Maps API, indicating their cities, countries, flags, etc . The GeoIP UsersMap portlet utilizes Max Mind's GeoIP City Database.
The GeoIP UsersMap portlet is a independent portlet and dont require any other plugging or portlet to work.
- 1. Get the GeoIP UsersMap, modify lportal-connection-pool.properties with database credentials and deploy porlet for your Liferay Portal version.
- 2. Shut down your application server.
- 3. Download the GeoIP City Database, such as the free GeoLite City Database.
- 4. Unzip the .dat file to your desired storage path (default: /usr/local/share/GeoIP/), but path can also been configurated in porlet.properties file.
- 5. Generate a Google Maps API Key
- 6. Start your application server.
- 7. Deploy the GeoIP UsersMap portlet.
- 8. Go to the configuration section inside the own portlet and configure the Google Maps API Key and the desired height.
- 9. Save changes and reload the page.