« Back to Development
Table of Contents [-]
Pages are rendered via the following mechanism:
- Request comes in through MainServlet. Various attributes are stored in the session and request. The request attribute WebKeys.CURRENT_URL holds the currently requested path (stripped of protocol,host, and port)
- The "service pre action" handler com.liferay.portal.events.ServicePreAction is called, where the layout and theme to display are determined. The current layout is stored as a request attribute under the key WebKeys.LAYOUT. The other available layouts are stored as a request attribute under the key WebKeys.LAYOUTS. The theme to display is stored as a request attribute under the WebKeys.THEME key, and the color scheme to use is stored as the request attribute WebKeys.COLOR_SCHEME. The theme and color scheme are usually determined by querying the layout once it has been determined.
- Struts is called to handle the request, and Liferay uses the custom Struts request processor com.liferay.portal.struts.PortalRequestProcessor. The PortalRequestProcessor.getLastPath() method computes the last path visited, and supplies a default path for the first entry into the portal. The default path upon entry into the portal is <protocol>://<hostName>:<port>/portal/layout. This url may optionally contain the query parameters ?p_l_id=default if the user is known (i.e. they have just logged in).
- This initial request for /portal/layout is handled by com.liferay.portal.action.LayoutAction.
- /html/common/themes/portal.jsp is the "top level" display page. It selects...
- the portal_normal.jsp or portal_pop_up.jsp based on the current state of the theme's display, and includes it using the <liferay-theme:include> custom tag, implemented by com.liferay.taglib.theme.IncludeTag, which in turn calls com.liferay.taglib.util.ThemeUtil.include().
- Eventually, for each portlet, the method com.liferay.portal.util.PortalUtil.renderPortlet() gets called, which calls
- /portal/portal-web/docroot/html/portal/render_portlet.jsp to render the contents of an individual portlet. That in turn calls
- /portal/portal-web/docroot/html/common/themes/portlet.jsp, which ends up calling