Project Title #
Realtime Activity Map
Collaboration and Social Networking activities on Liferay produce a steady stream of activities. These activities can be visualized by an Activity Stream, which lists each activity performed in a given context (e.g. the entire site, a given community, or a set of friends). This paradigm is common on social networking sites like Facebook, and feed aggregation sites like FriendFeed.
Use Cases #
A user is interested in the "buzz" of a given community, in particular the geographic distribution of recent activities.
The Problem #
Currently, Liferay's activity feed is text-only, and does not display the location of the user performing the activity.
The Solution #
Create a dynamic geographic map showing where the user who performs an activity is based. It does not need to be based on the user's IP (though this is extra credit).
Skills Needed #
- Nice to have: Liferay
- A fully functional portlet showing activity information in realtime, including:
- Links to the user's profile
- Indication on map of when and where activity occurred
- Description of activity (this can be taken from the existing activity payload used to render the current activity stream portlet).
- Documentation required to configure above applications
Related Issues #
External References #
- Drupal.org has a nice example of this on the homepage.