Foren

Encrypted DB pass word in portal-ext.properties of Liferay 6.1

MICHAIL MOUDATSOS, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Encrypted DB pass word in portal-ext.properties of Liferay 6.1

Regular Member Beiträge: 110 Beitrittsdatum: 04.10.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hello all,

as a follow up to the post To encrypt the DB password in portal-ext properties file of the server, the Liferay source code that must be modified in order to rebuild portal-impl.jar and achieve this goal, has been relocated in the following class: com.liferay.portal.dao.jdbc.DataSourceFactoryImpl

here's the code fragment:

public class DataSourceFactoryImpl implements DataSourceFactory {

//...

public DataSource initDataSource(Properties properties) throws Exception {
		Properties defaultProperties = PropsUtil.getProperties(
			"jdbc.default.", true);

/**
		 * Overriding code: begin
		 */

Enumeration<string> propEnum = (Enumeration<string>)defaultProperties.propertyNames();

while(propEnum.hasMoreElements())
		{
			String key = propEnum.nextElement();

if(key.equalsIgnoreCase("password"))
			{
				/*Property jdbc.default.encrypted.password enables one to define whether the provided password is encrypted or not*/
				boolean isEncrypted = GetterUtil.getBoolean(defaultProperties.getProperty("encrypted.password"));

if(isEncrypted)
				{
					String value = defaultProperties.getProperty(key);
					Base64 base64 = new Base64();
					byte[] bytesArray = base64.decode(value.getBytes());
					value = new String(bytesArray);
					/*Set the password property in the property member field since it is the one to be taken into account*/
					properties.setProperty(key, value);
				}
			}
		}

/**
		 * Overriding code: end
		 */
//rest of code...
</string></string>

Hope this helps...

P.S. Just as in the referenced post, no code is deleted (only added) and this is a simple password encoding from chars to base64
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Encrypted DB pass word in portal-ext.properties of Liferay 6.1

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Great work, Michail. Thanks for sharing!
Kevin Kocher, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 7 Beitrittsdatum: 30.10.12 Neueste Beiträge
Is this still the best approach for this?
Theoretically, could this be implemented by extending the DataSourceFactoryBean and changing the appropriate spring configuration?
Are the steps for doing that or something similar in another post somewhere that I may have missed (sorry, new project for me and I'm still ramping up)
I was told I can't modify LifeRay directly in this case or it would violate the LGPL license.
Thanks for any insight.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
The LGPL prevents you from selling a modified Liferay.

If you have an internal requirement to not keep plaintext database passwords on the server and are not selling the resulting Liferay, you should be okay.

Please note that I'm not a lawyer and you should seek counsel from a real attorney.

Thanks for the reply and yes we are in fact implementing a commercial product with LR bundled.
We will fail any security audits our clients have in place unless we can store the password encrypted. This would be a show stopper for us unless we can find a workaround that satisfies everyone's legal requirements.
thumbnail
Luis Mas, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 146 Beitrittsdatum: 18.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
You could propose this change through JIRA and if Liferay accepts this (I think they would), it woud be part of Liferay Source and you wouldn't have any problem with LGPL.

They could extend this solution for LDAP connection parameters.

That seems like a good way to move this forward if in fact there isn't something acceptable in place already, thanks for the suggestion. I can do that much as the worst that can happen is that it's rejected (or I'm pointed to an implemented solution).

And, just for the record, so it's here publicly, I'm certainly not asking anyone who responds here to be "legally" verifiable. It's just a discussion, nothing more. We do have our own legal department that gets involved to review and/or get approval for the products we bundle and what we do or say here has no bearing on that.

Thanks again for the help.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
David H Nebinger:
The LGPL prevents you from selling a modified Liferay.

If you have an internal requirement to not keep plaintext database passwords on the server and are not selling the resulting Liferay, you should be okay.

Please note that I'm not a lawyer and you should seek counsel from a real attorney.

I am also not a lawyer, but as I understand LGPL - it does not prevent you from selling a modified copy of LGPL software, but you have to make the source code of your modifications available to those you sell it to, and you have to license your modifications under LGPL too. So someone buying your custom version could potentially post your modified source publicly, or make their own changes and sell that, and not give you anything.

See the FAQ.

That sort of rings a bell for me as well James, but where I work, I don't control that decision, nor would I want to speak on behalf of my company in that regard. At this stage all I can say is, the people I work for will not allow my team to modify the source directly. Short of having this code incorporated within LR itself officially (or a supported hook), a spring configuration mod would be a possibility at this stage to propose to our legal dept. At that point they'd review our agreement with LR and inform us how to proceed. I did create a new topic in the suggestions and features area. Not sure if that was the correct route. I apologize if it isn't:
http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/17580376
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Kevin Kocher:
That sort of rings a bell for me as well James, but where I work, I don't control that decision, nor would I want to speak on behalf of my company in that regard. At this stage all I can say is, the people I work for will not allow my team to modify the source directly. Short of having this code incorporated within LR itself officially (or a supported hook), a spring configuration mod would be a possibility at this stage to propose to our legal dept. At that point they'd review our agreement with LR and inform us how to proceed. I did create a new topic in the suggestions and features area. Not sure if that was the correct route. I apologize if it isn't:
http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/17580376

Totally understand - open source licenses scare a lot of legal depts emoticon

And yeah, that's the right way to go (suggestions and features area).
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I am also not a lawyer, but as I understand LGPL - it does not prevent you from selling a modified copy of LGPL software, but you have to make the source code of your modifications available to those you sell it to, and you have to license your modifications under LGPL too.

Slight correction. It's possible to distribute the work as GPL too.