Foren

Liferay Sync License

thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Sync License

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I've read James blog on Liferay Sync and was about to download it, but is the license proprietary? Just a little concerned if this is the way Liferay will be moving.

3. End User Restrictions.

End User may not:

(a) to a third party, transfer rights or usage to, sublicense, rent, lease, lend or otherwise distribute the Software or Documentation, or any portions thereof, except with Liferay's prior written consent;

(b) create derivative works of the Software or Documentation;

(c) modify, loan, decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble or otherwise distribute the Software or Documentation, except with Liferay's prior written consent;

(d) remove or alter any intellectual property notices or legends on the Software and Documentation;

(e) work around any technical limitations in the Software;

(f) make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;

(g) publish the software for others to copy;

(h) use the software for commercial software hosting services.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

RE: Liferay Sync License

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hitoshi Ozawa:
I've read James blog on Liferay Sync and was about to download it, but is the license proprietary? Just a little concerned if this is the way Liferay will be moving.

Hey Hitoshi,

No, we aren't moving to proprietary licenses for all Liferay products. Sync is free to use, and we believe it will drive more open source software innovation, by enhancing and making Liferay Portal and other open Liferay products (and their respective ecosystems) more accessible and popular. Check out Bryan Cheung's recent post regarding Social Office 2.0 CE & EE. In it he describes the thought process behind Liferay's decisions on open vs. proprietary software, and why we have both.
thumbnail

No, we aren't moving to proprietary licenses for all Liferay products. Sync is free to use,

Making source available but restricting users from making modifications seems to defeat the purpose of open source.
I know that Liferay have both "open" license and proprietary license but Sync's license seems something in between.
If you're going to limit users from modifying it, why not just make it all proprietary and just distribute a trial version like
enterprise versions? Limiting number of different licenses make everybody's life much easier.

The current download page doesn't mention about Sync not being LPGL but proprietary. I think many users will assume
it to be the same license as Liferay portal without really checking the EULA.

I should have posted this to the Sync forum instead of here. Sorry, didn't see it before.
thumbnail
Ryan Terwedo, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 94 Beitrittsdatum: 31.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
James - I have to agree with Hitoshi on this.

You can see my post here: http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/12697563

but what is going to happen when a user is using sync with a LR portal (most do not know it is a LR portal in the first place) and they have a problem? They may think it is a different product and contact LR directly (after all there is a link there in About). If users have a problem with their dropbox syncing a word file, they call dropbox not msft. We can't even put in a custom help url for whatever org it is that is using it etc. I don't mind if we have to pay for EE vs CE version, that is ok, but at least remove all the mentions to LR, it will cause problems of keeping a cohesive brand to orgs that use it.

"To keep questions and problems down, only tell users the absolute minimum they need to know" =)
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Ryan Terwedo:
James - I have to agree with Hitoshi on this.

You can see my post here: http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/12697563

but what is going to happen when a user is using sync with a LR portal (most do not know it is a LR portal in the first place) and they have a problem? They may think it is a different product and contact LR directly (after all there is a link there in About). If users have a problem with their dropbox syncing a word file, they call dropbox not msft. We can't even put in a custom help url for whatever org it is that is using it etc. I don't mind if we have to pay for EE vs CE version, that is ok, but at least remove all the mentions to LR, it will cause problems of keeping a cohesive brand to orgs that use it.

"To keep questions and problems down, only tell users the absolute minimum they need to know" =)

I think having a way to re-label/re-brand the tool would be useful, in fact it it would be possible to put branding images or help links in specific areas of the LR installation (associated with each site), and have those "show through" the sync app, so that it appears to be a cohesive tool packaged with the website. Could you file such a ticket on the JIRA project?
thumbnail

James Falkner:

I think having a way to re-label/re-brand the tool would be useful, in fact it it would be possible to put branding images or help links in specific areas of the LR installation (associated with each site), and have those "show through" the sync app, so that it appears to be a cohesive tool packaged with the website. Could you file such a ticket on the JIRA project?

Have the sync tool "sync its settings/content/theme?" =)

Thanks for the subtle hint on JIRA.. There was a theme request but I added a comment for improvement. I always feel like I am going to screw something up/piss someone off posting in there so I generally refrain as I am not as familiar with the "JIRA posting norms"

Item below:

http://issues.liferay.com/browse/SYNC-153
thumbnail

Thanks Ryan, disabling Sync would probably be easier than changing the license and I think it's acceptable - I'm in a similar situation as you are and want to keep unfixable bugs to a minimum.
thumbnail

Hitoshi Ozawa:
Thanks Ryan, disabling Sync would probably be easier than changing the license and I think it's acceptable - I'm in a similar situation as you are and want to keep unfixable bugs to a minimum.

I absolutely think sync is needed... at some point... especially with the issues webdav and windows have.

There just needs to be a way to make it easier on the user. RIght now users are bombarded with x, y, z company who does what and where does that overlap with a, b, c and are on info overload.

Its only version 1, but I am excited for where it will go, eliminating dropbox, or gladinet, etc is a welcome add on.
thumbnail

Its only version 1,

And Liferay 6.1.0 GA1 just came out and I have my hands full with that already.
Need to keep features to a minimum to keep those "creative" users from crashing the production system every day. emoticon
thumbnail

I believe keeping things minimalistic is best way to go to!