Foren

Journal templates in Asset Publisher

jeff gerbracht, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Journal templates in Asset Publisher

Junior Member Beiträge: 65 Beitrittsdatum: 05.06.08 Neueste Beiträge
It would be a great addition and would provide alot of flexability if I could apply templates to the asset publisher, one for the abstract page and a different one for the full view.
Jeff
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

RE: Journal templates in Asset Publisher

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6396 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Though this doesn't help you, but I'd also like to see this (see this forum post) or at least a similar functionality. I don't care if it's done through AssetPublisher or something else, maybe it's already there and I haven't yet found it...

If you learn more about alternatives, please post your answers here.
Thanks,
Olaf
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 373 Beitrittsdatum: 27.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
Olaf Kock:
Though this doesn't help you, but I'd also like to see this (see this forum post) or at least a similar functionality. I don't care if it's done through AssetPublisher or something else, maybe it's already there and I haven't yet found it...

If you learn more about alternatives, please post your answers here.
Thanks,
Olaf

Hi Olaf and Jeff,

Thanks for your posts. This is actually on my wish list as well. emoticon

We make extensive use of the Asset Publisher at the Rural Poverty Portal. We have a sort of kludgy solution, which I'll describe to you, but I would like to see a better solution eventually.

1. Take a look at this page: http://www.ruralpovertyportal.org/web/guest/country/voices/tags/albania

2. Click on the first link, Successful women in agribusiness

3. Notice that you are taken to http://www.ruralpovertyportal.org/web/guest/country/voice/tags/albania/agribusiness; that center column contains an Asset Publisher portlet configured for an AND query on "voices" and URL tags (which in this case are "albania" and "agribusiness"). The journal article that appears contains all three of those tags.

4. The "agribusiness" tag contains a property called "journal-template-id," which is set to the template ID for the full page view template. Asset Publisher looks for this property, and if it exists, it will display the alternate template rather than the one selected in the Journal article. So for this site, we set the default template to one that we use for the list view (which is configured for full content view, NOT abstract view), and we set the alternate view through the tag property.

You can see this demonstrated by appending "agribusiness" to the Voices URL: http://www.ruralpovertyportal.org/web/guest/country/voices/tags/albania/agribusiness. Since it's the "agribusiness" tag that contains the "journal-template-id" property, it triggers the alternate display.

Very very kludgy, and I'm not sure if it will work the same way after 5.1.0.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6396 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Bryan Cheung:
We make extensive use of the Asset Publisher at the Rural Poverty Portal. We have a sort of kludgy solution, which I'll describe to you, but I would like to see a better solution eventually.

Your demonstration of this feature during the european symposium actually brought me to look at the asset publisher. Without this I probably wouldn't have found it - at least not that early.
Bryan Cheung:
4. The "agribusiness" tag contains a property called "journal-template-id," which is set to the template ID for the full page view template. Asset Publisher looks for this property, and if it exists, it will display the alternate template rather than the one selected in the Journal article. So for this site, we set the default template to one that we use for the list view (which is configured for full content view, NOT abstract view), and we set the alternate view through the tag property.

That's neat - this I would definitely not have found without this post. I'll immediately take a look at it.
Bryan Cheung:
Very very kludgy, and I'm not sure if it will work the same way after 5.1.0.

Bad news. Unless it's superceded with something better, less kludgy emoticon
Thank you for sharing this insight.
Bernardo Riveira Faraldo, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 135 Beitrittsdatum: 30.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Here we are at 5.2.2

I have used extensively other web content servers and I find LifeRay lacking that exact feature: AssetPublisher is not usable at all for the following reasons:

1) common "static" asset fields like title (name!) and abstract are NOT translatable!!! (only content), so assetpublisher content selections are not translated

2) you cannot have a specific template applied to a specific selected web content plus structure, to list the items

at least the dinamic-structured web content should be given a "default" template to show it "in full", but then you should be able to show the same content with other templates in other parts of the portal

I would be served just allowing AssetPublisher to select webcontent with specific structures and the template to use for listing, and maybe also the template to use when clicking on the "view more" link (although maybe it would be better to construct the link in the velocity template so we designer/programmers can put it wherever we want, the title, a "more" link, whatever...)

at least if AssetPublisher and web content allowed all the user-presented content to be translated... but having only the option to translate content when the user is showed the name and abstract in only one language is not ok...
thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 373 Beitrittsdatum: 27.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
jeff gerbracht:
It would be a great addition and would provide alot of flexability if I could apply templates to the asset publisher, one for the abstract page and a different one for the full view.
Jeff

Let me also add that in general, having editable templates for the Asset Publisher is a needed feature and was part of the original vision but hasn't been implemented. Rather than using Journal-style templates, though, the idea was to have templates use the common meta-data of all asset types (title, url, author, description, creation date, modified date, abstract, main content).
thumbnail
Ton Hoang, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 20 Beitrittsdatum: 10.12.08 Neueste Beiträge
anyone can tell me more detail, step by step...

thank so much
thumbnail
Josh Asbury, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 498 Beitrittsdatum: 08.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
I second or third the need for this feature. The asset publisher is so powerful, and not having the ability to style it (short of CSS hacks) is unfortunate.
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 993 Beitrittsdatum: 27.04.07 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Bryan,

Thank you so much.

It is a good idea to add velocity templates in Asset Publisher. In my opinion, it is doable, actually.

Currently, the views are fixed in JSP files. But we can implement the views through templates. CSS and JavaScript should be available in templates, too. It would be easy for developers to customize velocity templates (including CSS and JavaScript) directly.

Here is brief proposal:

Step one: Predefine a set of templates (for different views: table, title list, abstracts, full content ) in the folder /vm (or other reasonable folder name) in Asset Publisher.

Step two: in the Render action, pick up a proper template to generate the view.

Thanks
Jonas Yuan
thumbnail
Ton Hoang, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 20 Beitrittsdatum: 10.12.08 Neueste Beiträge
good sugesstion jonas!
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, geändert vor 15 Jahren.

Hi Ton,

Thank you!

How about the following proposal (making Liferay CMS powerful - similar to Alfresco CMS)?

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/2031035
Dana Oredson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 70 Beitrittsdatum: 14.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Jonas Yuan:
Hi Bryan,
Step one: Predefine a set of templates (for different views: table, title list, abstracts, full content ) in the folder /vm (or other reasonable folder name) in Asset Publisher.

Step two: in the Render action, pick up a proper template to generate the view.

We have specific requirements to format the meta-data fields differently than asset publisher does, which we have currently modified the jsps in the extension environment (which sucks when upgrading). So this would be awesome and welcome for us as well.

Thanks,
Dana.
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Hi Dana,

Currently, you may use the hooks to override these JSPs in the Plugins SDK environment. This would be simpler than that of the Ext. - a little bit easy-upgrade, if you would not use the Asset Publisher AS IS.

It would be better to add templates in the Asset Publisher portlet ... :-)

Thanks

Jonas Yuan

Liferay System Development book: Liferay Portal 5.2 (or above) Systems Development
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
We post a lot of research so it would be extra spiffy for us to be able to aggregate the abstracts almost like a blog aggregation and then publish the full articles.
thumbnail
Vincent Olivier, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 28 Beitrittsdatum: 28.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Jonas,

I'm also looking forward a "list" template feature implemented in Asset Publisher. In the meantime, I would like to be able to fetch a custom structure attribute from an article content and display it in the abstract list. I think it would go in the "abstract.jsp" file for the asset publisher.

What I'm looking to do is to extract a "link to page" attribute from the article content and use it as the "read more" URL for this article in the asset publisher. It's easy to do in an article velocity template, but how to I do that in JSP, in particular, from the the "abstract.jsp" file?

Thanks,

Vincent
I'm using 5.2.3.
David Hunter, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 28 Beitrittsdatum: 15.01.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Vincent - did you resolve this issue with pulling elements from within the structure to display in an asset pblisher view ?
I'm am attempting the same idea.

Any advice ?

Thanks - david
thumbnail
Vincent Olivier, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 28 Beitrittsdatum: 28.05.09 Neueste Beiträge
Well, I fixed it by overriding some JSPs for the Asset Publisher portlet in a hook...

It works great.

Vincent
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Hi Vincent, Nice to hear that you got it working. Great! Jonas Yuan.