Foren

service builder inside hook

sasmita swain, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

service builder inside hook

Regular Member Beiträge: 183 Beitrittsdatum: 24.02.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi all

I am working onLR6.1...can we create service builder inside hook?i want to add extra column in liferay shopping category table..

how to do?

Thanks

Sasmita
thumbnail
Drew Blessing, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: service builder inside hook

Junior Member Beiträge: 78 Beitrittsdatum: 27.01.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi sasmita. The short answer is, yes, you can use service builder in a hook plugin. However, Service Builder is only used for creating your own entities (completely new). Since you want to modify an existing model you probably want to explore Expando. Expando will in essence allow you to add a "column(s)" to an existing table. Understand though that Liferay does the logic in its service layer to bring expando and the original object together so you will not actually see an added column if you look at the database directly (it's really just adding an attribute to the model). When you access the object via code the object will have the correct expanded data attached as expected.

Someone else can probably provide a good working example of Expando but there is some excellent documentation to get you started. http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Adding+an+custom+attribute+to+a+Community

Drew Blessing:
Hi sasmita. The short answer is, yes, you can use service builder in a hook plugin. However, Service Builder is only used for creating your own entities (completely new). Since you want to modify an existing model you probably want to explore Expando. Expando will in essence allow you to add a "column(s)" to an existing table. Understand though that Liferay does the logic in its service layer to bring expando and the original object together so you will not actually see an added column if you look at the database directly (it's really just adding an attribute to the model). When you access the object via code the object will have the correct expanded data attached as expected.

Someone else can probably provide a good working example of Expando but there is some excellent documentation to get you started. http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Adding+an+custom+attribute+to+a+Community

Thanks for your reply

for expando i have create custom attiribute from controlpannel for user..but i want to add new filed for admin..by using custom attribute when i am adding values in to text box it is not inserting to expando values

Thanks

Sasmita
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
This thread probably should belong in the Developer forum instead of here because it doesn't concern Liferay community here.
thumbnail

I agree with Hitoshi. This is definitely a development question. To get more developer eyes on this and to get the best possible help, please post this question in the developer's forum here: Development

Also, be sure to mention expando since that's what you need. Expando can be done 100% code-based without the use of the Control Panel you have mentioned using for custom fields/attributes. The developer's forum will provide some help. Or, try the Freenode IRC channel #liferay for some possible real-time help.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Drew Blessing:
The short answer is, yes, you can use service builder in a hook plugin.

Hey, Drew, I thought that a hook did not provide the proper context for hosting services?

Hi

I want to add one more column in shopping category table..how to do by using expando..

can you give some example

Thanks

Sasmita
thumbnail

David H Nebinger:

Hey, Drew, I thought that a hook did not provide the proper context for hosting services?

Dave, You may be right. The context I was considering would be a plugin with a portlet and hook all together. In a standalone hook it may not work.