Foren

Migrating to DotCMS

Guenter Baumgart, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Migrating to DotCMS

Regular Member Beiträge: 119 Beitrittsdatum: 27.01.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

did somebody managed to migrate a Liferay site to DotCMS yet ? Any thoughts or hints are welcome. Unfortunately we need to drop Liferay and would love to move to something more mature or stable. Please don't feel * when you hear that.
thanks,
guenter.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: Migrating to DotCMS

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Sorry, I haven't seen any information. I think you'll need to do it page at a time.

Unfortunately we need to drop Liferay and would love to move to something more mature or stable.

Well, we actually provide service other portals too depending on our client. I do have to agree with you on other portals being more mature and stable but liferay has some good points too. I think Gartner report had something about using liferay in some respects. We found we couldn't use liferay OOTB and had to do some modifications. It's always good to keep several options open and select the one depending on the situation.

Thanks for trying out liferay. It was nice having you here. :-)
Guenter Nobody, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

thanks for the reply. We're staying around as our flag-ship project "xapp-studio.com" is almost finish for the Liferay-Market-Place. No idea when exactly but around June I guess. We need to drop Liferay for back-end and front-end tasks because it turned out as complete overkill; not to mention the little resources we can delegate to such topic. It was the wrong decision I did too fast, and I am somehow happy to be an experience richer :-) . How it looks, Node.JS based CMS systems seem more suited to our JS apps and I hope it reduces the development cycles rather adding more work. I also hope, I can use a Node.JS app as back-bone app for our Liferay-XApp-Portlet as Liferay anyway did a good Job with JS bindings from Java to JS. Ideally, Lf developers can use our portlet to build rich portlets in JS on the fly. Well, no idea this is going really to work but worth the try.

my pleasure,
g
thumbnail

it turned out as complete overkill;

I think that's because you tried too many features. You really don't have to use all the features in liferay. Just remove the features and stick with using only the ones you need. It's possible to use node.js on liferay - see the following blog. IT people tends to make a mistake that Enterprise means complicating functionalities. It's really the other way around. Just create an empty portlet using Liferay IDE wizard and paste javascript query on the view.jsp page. Make the page layout as entirely 1 column and place the portlet you've created.

http://www.liferay.com/web/david.truong/blog/-/blogs/node-js-with-liferay-6-1

are you kidding me ? the only feature we had running was KB. I had to kick out everything otherwise development is unbearable, even on the best hardware. the hot-deploy is so brutal and slow, you can't just have anything else running. Similar artifacts for the production server. That's one of the main reasons to drop Liferay.

however, thanks for the link, looks interesting.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
You should check out the Deployment Checklist and Performance Whitepaper under our documentation / whitepapers section. Sounds like something is very badly configured or the hardware is way undersized.

thanks for the hints. we paid 5k-euro+ per dev & server hardware, the best of the best from shelf and after working 13 (2 coders, 5/12 years java-ee ) months full time with/for/in Liferay, the overall impression is just bad, no matter which Liferay version or performance tuning technique we used (we did a lot of that, over months) and trust me, we're not happy to throw such much work into trash and tried many things but no, the feeling of 'wasting' our time didn't go away. however, experimenting with Dotcms (we like it even less!) and our jee-apps(big) did show much better results in terms of stability, memory consumption and overall performance.
thumbnail

I had some bad experience with KB too and decided to drop it. I don't think it's doing anything that complicated. If you had 2 developers for 2 years, I'm sure that you could have rewritten it completely.

hi,
finally a few Groovy scripts did the Job.
g
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
As far as I know DotCMS is based on very old Liferay. So it would be a downgrade.