Foren

Installing Liferay unbundled: does it really work?

thumbnail
Bruce Altner, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Installing Liferay unbundled: does it really work?

New Member Beiträge: 20 Beitrittsdatum: 20.02.09 Neueste Beiträge
I've seen a few posts about installing Liferay from the war file into one's app server of choice (mine is JBoss) and the Administration guide provides detailed instructions for this (so did Dennis Przybyla in
this thread). But no one on my team can get it to work and this may mean we'd have to abandon our plans to use it in our environment. This is a shame because I like Liferay.

So, sorry for the cross posting (it was an old thread) but can anyone suggest what's we're doing wrong to get the ExceptionInInitializerError shown below? It looks like a problem with Spring.

14:13:48,829 INFO  [[/]] Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
14:13:49,714 INFO  [STDOUT] 14:13:49,704 ERROR [ContextLoader:220] Context initialization failed
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
  at com.germinus.easyconf.ConfigurationSerializer.getSerializer(ConfigurationSerializer.java:13)

...etc...for hundreds of lines...

Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream$InitializationException: Could not instantiate converter :     com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.extended.DurationConverter : null
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.jaxp.datatype.DatatypeFactoryImpl           

Note: we're using JBoss 4.2.3.GA (with tomcat) and liferay-portqal-5.2.2.war.

Thanks,
Bruce
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Installing Liferay unbundled: does it really work?

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1228 Beitrittsdatum: 14.04.08 Neueste Beiträge
Bruce, for our blackbox systems we always make own configuration (on JBoss) using unbundled liferay. Major area of errors and therefore adjustements is library clashing.
Until we adjust them (or separate by classloading) system would not start. You will have to go through each class which failed to initialise and find jar locations. This is not always going to be obvious from the stacktrace, sometimes you would have to go into class declaration and find which attribute types this class has.
The first dirty trick you may perform - move all jars out of liferay app into a joint common area and see which ones are duplicate.
The other way is to start from liferay-jboss bundle and upgrade(downgrade) it to your own specific configuration.
It is always possible to make it.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Installing Liferay unbundled: does it really work?

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Pragmatically I'd say there's a definitive (executable) documentation on how to configure the app server with the unbundled liferay download: In the case of tomcat: Download plain tomcat from apache (choose the same version as in a liferay bundle), Download the bundled version of liferay and recursively compare the directories.

You can do this before or after you've installed the unbundled version to tomcat as the documentation suggests - but you always have a reference installation. If you find flaws in the documentation, please provide your experience here.

(Personally, I've not bothered to use the unbundled version, I'm rather providing a separate VM for liferay and harden the bundle - thus I can only provide the pragmatic solution)