Foren

Velocity Variables and Methods list

thumbnail
Nikos Kapatos, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Velocity Variables and Methods list

Junior Member Beiträge: 57 Beitrittsdatum: 12.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
Where I can find a full list of variables and methods used from liferay velocity?

I've found an html page having some of them but i couldn't find the var "$user " or the method "getMyPlaces()" for example.

I've google it in any possible way and searched the forums lot of time with no luck.
thumbnail
Lari Tuominen, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Velocity Variables and Methods list

Expert Beiträge: 283 Beitrittsdatum: 07.11.07 Neueste Beiträge
Check from Liferay trunk: VelocityVariables.java (if you don't have trunk you can also find it from google).

Also check this article from wiki: http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Which+classes+are+automatically+available+from+a+velocity+template

- Lari
thumbnail

Thanx for your time and help.

From the link u provided

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Which+classes+are+automatically+available+from+a+velocity+template

says to look the "portal-impl/src/com/liferay/portal/velocityVelocityVariables.java " but I can't find where this file is.

I searched all folders one by one and i found the porta-impl.jar.

The problem is that the path is "portal-impl/com/liferay/portal/velocityVelocityVariables.class" (no src/) and when i try to open it, it says "cannot open, no sources".

Anyway from that page it has a link to
"http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/How%20To%20Access%20Objects%20From%20A%20Velocity%20Template"

Which has all (not sure if all cause i can't check it) objects.

Now there r 2 problems

First problem is that in the first link it has an example " $layout.getName() ".
The problem in this is the .getName() now that we have a complete (I hope) list of objects.
Based on the example we know that there is a ".getName()" but is there something else?
Like ".setName()", or ".helloWorld()".
If yes is there a way to have a list?
R these for the "$layout" only?
Can be used with other objects?

The second problem is that after all the googling i found a page named "Theme Variables Documentation" which unfortunately i didn't kept the url but i have a print of it.

In this page under the "User Specific variables" it has "$user_login_ip", which is something I can't find in the second link with all the objects, and unfortunately this makes things even more complicated than they r now.

* NOTE *
1st link is "http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Which+classes+are+automatically+available+from+a+velocity+template"

2nd link is "http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/How%20To%20Access%20Objects%20From%20A%20Velocity%20Template"

Thanx for the brave ones who read all this and double thanx those who will dare to answer
thumbnail
Amos Fong, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2047 Beitrittsdatum: 07.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Nikos,

You'll want to download the Liferay source code so it's easier to research this further. In the first example, layout is a java class, and if you look in the source code, you'll see all the methods available to it. (ie setName())

For your second issue, that variable is set in init.vm. You should be able to look at this file in docroot/html/themes/unstyled/templates

These are basically preset variables for use only in themes.
thumbnail

And finally the puzzle solved

Thanx both of u for your time and help.

emoticon
thumbnail
Victor Zorin, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1228 Beitrittsdatum: 14.04.08 Neueste Beiträge
It looks like there is always a bit of effort required to get information related to velocity variables. Various manuals are not always up to date.

To make external developers life a bit easier, I have moved own Velocity Variables Explorer from private to public manual pages.
For security reasons, you will not be able to see actual values of those variables without being logged in, but it still produces a lot of useful information. At least it is always up-to-date.
thumbnail

Victor Zorin:
It looks like there is always a bit of effort required to get information related to velocity variables. Various manuals are not always up to date.

To make external developers life a bit easier, I have moved own Velocity Variables Explorer from private to public manual pages.
For security reasons, you will not be able to see actual values of those variables without being logged in, but it still produces a lot of useful information. At least it is always up-to-date.

OMG

I just saw your post and my friend and this is unbelievable. Many many thanx for that link and I believe lot of ppl will be happy with that link.

Thanx again emoticon
thumbnail

Thanks Nikos. That's very encouraging. We make sure that it is improving in terms of usability and data access.
Another type of explorer will be moved into public spot soon.
Thomas Kellerer, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 490 Beitrittsdatum: 09.06.08 Neueste Beiträge
Victor Zorin:

Thanks, very nice.

Unfortunately it does not list all Velocity variables. Inside a theme there are e.g. $full_templates_path, $nav_items, $css_main_file, $show_home, $show_page_settings, and a lot more

Are you planning to include those as well at some point in time?
thumbnail

Hi Thomas

These r custom variables that can be found in init.vm file inside your webapps/ROO/\html/themes/_unstyled/templates folder.

EDIT: Not sure if the path is the same for all packages but this path is for tomcat bundle
thumbnail
Brandt Solovij, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 14 Beitrittsdatum: 23.03.12 Neueste Beiträge
@Nikos Kapatos --- SUPER HELPFUL POST!!!!

I was scratching my head where some of the variables and methods originated and your post helped me a lot.

Topic necromancy aside, I am curious on performance issues with using logic within the vm templating space? Does anyone have any insight on how much or how little active programming should be entertained with the velocity templates? Thanks in advance
thumbnail

Thanks Thomas, well add those items by the end of this week.
Also, we expect to push to public use another explorer portlet, this one will provide digging capability for an entire set of Liferay Services API. Hope it will also be very useful.
Ram Mugalipoo, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 5 Beitrittsdatum: 02.07.15 Neueste Beiträge
I found a link http://www.liferay.com/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/CMS+Template+%28Velocity%29#section-CMS+Template+(Velocity)-From+VelocityVariables

where the velocity variables are listed out.