Foren

Portlets won't install - 5.2.3 Tomcat 6 RHL

Paula Childers, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Portlets won't install - 5.2.3 Tomcat 6 RHL

New Member Beiträge: 4 Beitrittsdatum: 28.10.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi all,

We are having an issue with portlet deployment/installation. Anytime we try to deploy a portlet, Liferay claims it was successful, but the portlet never shows up in the interface. I've tried with WOL, GoogleMaps, Chat, even the Analog clock, with the same result. The Tomcat catalina.out shows:

20:13:04,288 INFO [AutoDeployDir:183] Processing analog-clock-portlet-5.2.0.1.war
20:13:04,290 INFO [PortletAutoDeployListener:77] Copying portlets for /public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/deploy/analog-clock-portlet-5.2.0.1.war
Expanding: /public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/deploy/analog-clock-portlet-5.2.0.1.war into /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091029201304296
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091029201304296/WEB-INF
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091029201304296/WEB-INF/classes
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091029201304296/WEB-INF/classes
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091029201304296/META-INF
Copying 25 files to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/webapps/analog-clock-portlet
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/webapps/analog-clock-portlet
Deleting directory /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091029201304296
20:13:04,903 INFO [PortletAutoDeployListener:87] Portlets for /public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/deploy/analog-clock-portlet-5.2.0.1.war copied successfully. Deployment will start in a few seconds.

and that's it, nothing else. You can see the downloaded file go into /deploy, then into /webapps, and you can see an .xml context entry being created in /conf/Catalina/localhost, but the Liferay interface never changes and the plugin doesnt show up for use. I tried doing a direct download by clicking "Install," I tried downloading the file to my desktop and then using "upload," and I tried uploading the WAR manually to the server and then copying it into /deploy . None of these worked.

As can be seen above, we are running Liferay from an alternate context root; I have tried setting the autodeploy.dest.dir to the same directory as the liferay WAR is deployed in, which didnt do anything. I have left the autodeploy.deploy.dir as the {liferayWARroot}/deploy directory all along. I've cleaned out Tomcat's /temp and retried. I've checked file permissions and retried (everything for several levels up in all the relevant locations is owned by the user running Tomcat, with rwx permissions for owner).

FYI, we are connecting to Oracle on the backend, using the schema owner, so permissions on the database shouldn't be an issue. We are passing through an Apache web server via mod_proxy_ajp to the Tomcat AJP port. Tomcat is version 6.0.20 (our standalone install, not part of a Liferay bundle), Java JDK 1.6.0_13 .

Any constructive suggestions appreciated.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Portlets won't install - 5.2.3 Tomcat 6 RHL

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
Try bypassing Apache by goign directly to port 8080 to get to the control panel.

I can try that for testing, but we can't implement into production like that, due to our Security requirements. What do you think is happening? I'm not seeing errors in my Apache logs. Does the deployer implement direct backcalls on a URL other than the base context? If so, wouldn't that show up in either the Tomcat or Apache logs?
thumbnail

I'm guessing that something's hokey with your mod_proxy or mod_ajp config.
thumbnail
Ziggy ., geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 293 Beitrittsdatum: 08.06.08 Neueste Beiträge
What JKMount paths did you configure on your apache workers file? Maybe the path to the portlet is not included and apache doesnt know what to do with it?
thumbnail
Krista M Leopold, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 24 Beitrittsdatum: 06.10.09 Neueste Beiträge
We are having the exact same problem, and I asked my question on another thread, but have received no responses. I'll tack on to this discussion because the situation is so similar -- only difference is I'm using a hook, not a separate portlet.

I've gone through all of the same steps as the OP. I was able to successfully deploy it on my workstation with a fresh tomcat bundle, but putting it on our test server looks exactly like the OP's situation.

We are also running Tomcat on an Apache Server which handles our SSL. I have added the ProxyPass lines to accomodate the path to the .war, but I can't imagine why it would matter to Apache what is going on with the Liferay instance, as this .war is never called by the apache server, right? Can you provide insight into why you think modifying the workers file would have anything to do with it? If not, can you think of anywhere else the deployment is choking?

Thanks so much!

I just set Liferay up with its own IP-based VirtualHost in Apache and configured a blanket proxypass (i.e. everything from the root on is all going to Tomcat, via AJP), and it still isn't working. I'll post more as I troubleshoot. Any suggestions welcomed. How do you file a bug report?

Bypassed Apache entirely by re-enabling 8080 (with all settings as per the Guide), didn't help a bit. Same exact problem. We had one of our testers set up a Linux environment and try this, and he's seeing the same issue. The portlet acts as though it's deploying, but it never shows up in the interface. If you go back in and try to add it again (i.e. before performing a manual cleanup), the logs say:

INFO: Container org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/wol-portlet] has already been started

as though some part of Liferay does indeed think it's there... just not the part we can see and use!

Interestingly, I noticed that the deployment directory is apparently NOT being read correctly from portal-ext.properties. The portal-ext.properties has the following over-rides:

portal.ctx=/esnportal
liferay.home=/public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal
jdbc.default.jndi.name=jdbc/LiferayPool
auto.deploy.deploy.dir=/public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/deploy
auto.deploy.dest.dir=/public/data/esnliferay/webapps
auto.deploy.tomcat.conf.dir=/public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/conf/Catalina/localhost
auto.deploy.tomcat.lib.dir=/public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/lib/ext

but the catalina.out shows that the dest dir is being completely ignored:

19:14:34,789 INFO [PortletAutoDeployListener:77] Copying portlets for /public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/deploy/wol-portlet-5.2.2.1.war
Expanding: /public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/deploy/wol-portlet-5.2.2.1.war into /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091103191434794
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091103191434794/WEB-INF
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091103191434794/WEB-INF/classes
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091103191434794/WEB-INF/classes
Copying 25 files to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/webapps/wol-portlet
Copying 1 file to /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/webapps/wol-portlet
Deleting directory /public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/temp/20091103191434794

even though it indicates just prior that the portal-ext.properties IS being loaded:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.20
Loading jar:file:/public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/WEB-INF/lib/portal-impl.jar!/system.properties
Loading jar:file:/public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/WEB-INF/lib/portal-impl.jar!/portal.properties
Loading file:/public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/WEB-INF/classes/portal-ext.properties
19:07:44,062 INFO [DialectDetector:64] Determining dialect for Oracle 10
19:07:44,164 INFO [DialectDetector:97] Using dialect org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect
Loading jar:file:/public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/WEB-INF/lib/portal-impl.jar!/captcha.properties
19:07:47,984 INFO [PortalImpl:252] Portal lib directory /public/data/esnliferay/webapps/esnportal/WEB-INF/lib/
19:08:00,725 INFO [ServerDetector:104] Detected server tomcat
Starting Liferay Portal Standard Edition 5.2.3 (Augustine / Build 5203 / May 20, 2009)

I'd like to go back to one specific over-ride I added to the portal-ext.properties:

auto.deploy.tomcat.lib.dir=/public/server/apps/tc-home-esnliferay/lib/ext

This is an override because the default/original portal.properties has ../common/lib/ext as the path, which DOES NOT EXIST in Tomcat 6. "common/lib" has become just "lib." Interestingly, this was the default for the portal.properties in the Tomcat 6 bundle! I downloaded the bundle, extracted it and checked it, and yes, it's WRONG. Beware, those of you trying to use Tomcat 6! I'm still combing through the default portal.properties to see if there are any other settings that are similarly bolloxed.

Ideas, anyone?
thumbnail

So the proxy and the apache front end are eliminated as culprits. Now on to the more esoteric stuff.... It looks as if you've changed your root context.

Can you double check to make sure that you've updated your ROOT context completely....