Foren

IntelliJ Idea File Templates

thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

IntelliJ Idea File Templates

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
Traditionally, I've been an Eclipse IDE and Studio user. However for past few days, I've been fiddling with VirtualBox with an Ubuntu 14.04 guest with Maven and IntelliJ IDEA... Am wondering if anyone is sharing IntelliJ IDEA File Templates ? for the likes of "public class MyPortlet extends MVCPortlet" with some empty methods like doView(...) and a few common imports
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

RE: IntelliJ Idea File Templates

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14915 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
That's the rub. Why recreate the wheel when Liferay gives you the IDE for free? And even if you had the templates, you won't have the editors for service.xml, portlet.xml, etc.

Not that I wouldn't prefer an alternative to eclipse and I too have an older version of IntelliJ that I liked working with, I'm just not sure the choice is worth what you lose with respect to the tooling the IDE and studio give you.

The maven archetypes might be the solution, though. Many of them do create stub projects that you might find useful...
thumbnail

There are pros and cons to each of Eclipse and IntelliJ. Right now I am evaluating IntelliJ but still use Eclipse-based Liferay IDE/Studio for the reasons you give David.

I do have to get my head deeper into Maven.
thumbnail
Krzysztof Gołębiowski, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 549 Beitrittsdatum: 25.06.11 Neueste Beiträge
I switched to IDEA couple of months ago and I'm not going back to Eclipse ever emoticon It works much faster, occupies twice less memory and doesn't have all those annoying bugs with plugins (which you cannot actually live without). I'm using maven instead of Plugins SDK.

I loose all the graphic editors for Liferay-specific files but I can live without it (I have most configuration options in my mind, the rest is IDEA's XML's auto completing and verification). The feature I miss most is resources reloading which works really well in recent versions (I think it is capable of reloading theme's templates right now!). But I don't know if this feature works with maven, and we have JRebel in our company.

Regards,
KG
thumbnail
Andew Jardine, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2416 Beitrittsdatum: 22.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
+1 for JRebel! I use Eclipse because I love how easy it is to generate the stubs -- I don't have a good enough memory to remember the 4 million things you can override emoticon. JRebel though -- I don't think I could ever work again without it. If the metrics they give you are even 25% accurate it saves me more time than I ever though possible.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Krzysztof Gołębiowski:
I switched to IDEA couple of months ago and I'm not going back to Eclipse ever emoticon It works much faster, occupies twice less memory and doesn't have all those annoying bugs with plugins (which you cannot actually live without). I'm using maven instead of Plugins SDK.

I loose all the graphic editors for Liferay-specific files but I can live without it (I have most configuration options in my mind, the rest is IDEA's XML's auto completing and verification). The feature I miss most is resources reloading which works really well in recent versions (I think it is capable of reloading theme's templates right now!). But I don't know if this feature works with maven, and we have JRebel in our company.

Regards,
KG

Hey KG, I just thought out of a great dev.life hangout that you can host emoticon "IDE Tips and Tricks: IntelliJ and Eclipse" emoticon (I'm serious - this has been requested twice now!)
thumbnail

James Falkner:
a great dev.life hangout that you can host "IDE Tips and Tricks: IntelliJ and Eclipse" emoticon (I'm serious - this has been requested twice now!)

perhaps a dev.life hangout focused primarily on using IntelliJ IDEA with then opportunity for comparison with Eclipse IDE towards the end of session

- starting theme, portlet, service plugins/projects with Maven
- configuration of an application server like Tomcat
- involving git
- brief JRebel
- overview of dev cycle using a portlet/service example

I am only just learning about IntelliJ IDEA (read: a beginner), I still use Eclipse, but would be timely for me to learn from such a IntelliJ dev.life hangout

no pressure Krzysztof emoticon
thumbnail

Jack Bakker:
James Falkner:
a great dev.life hangout that you can host "IDE Tips and Tricks: IntelliJ and Eclipse" emoticon (I'm serious - this has been requested twice now!)

perhaps a dev.life hangout focused primarily on using IntelliJ IDEA with then opportunity for comparison with Eclipse IDE towards the end of session

- starting theme, portlet, service plugins/projects with Maven
- configuration of an application server like Tomcat
- involving git
- brief JRebel
- overview of dev cycle using a portlet/service example

I am only just learning about IntelliJ IDEA (read: a beginner), I still use Eclipse, but would be timely for me to learn from such a IntelliJ dev.life hangout

no pressure Krzysztof emoticon

I'd be down with that! KG, what say you?? emoticon
thumbnail
Xavier Moreno, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 29 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
I'm looking forward to that dev.life hangout :-). The more tools we master the better.
thumbnail
Krzysztof Gołębiowski, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 549 Beitrittsdatum: 25.06.11 Neueste Beiträge
I think it's a great idea! I will start summarizing all the knowledge about my Liferay's workshop (I know there are still some things that need to be improved) and try keeping it in a bit more orderly fashion. Unfortunately at the moment I have really hard time finishing my projects before end of the year (today I checked inbox and noticed over 1000 unread Liferay's Forum posts :/ ) but in 2015 I think I could do that.

Regards,
KG
thumbnail

I am getting more than a little absorbed in using IntelliJ IDEA on Ubuntu, with Maven, Git ...
thumbnail

Krzysztof Gołębiowski:
I think it's a great idea! I will start summarizing all the knowledge about my Liferay's workshop (I know there are still some things that need to be improved) and try keeping it in a bit more orderly fashion. Unfortunately at the moment I have really hard time finishing my projects before end of the year (today I checked inbox and noticed over 1000 unread Liferay's Forum posts :/ ) but in 2015 I think I could do that.

Regards,
KG

FYI to everyone - KG will host our next Liferay dev.life session on IntelliJ - so if you're interested, don't miss this hangout next Tuesday @ 1000 EST / 1600 CET
thumbnail

I learned a lot from that, thanks much KG

Entire forum threads could be devoted to followup on dev.life events, but that perhaps puts too much more obligation on the presenter ?

I am already a convert to IntelliJ, Maven, git, JRebel ; and I witnessed Emil's fast theme reloading presentation in the Grand Ballroom in Boston Liferay Symposium 2014 and now after KG's reintroduction am even more inspired to look at it (it is like a like JRebel for themes specifically). Speed of turnaround with this toolchain from creative inception to seeing changes on/in the page is personally as valued as playing good hacky sack in a group as we keep the ball from dropping where if it does one is forced to stare at the sidewalk and look at ants while somebody picks it up.

While I am an IntelliJ IDEA convert now, I still use Eclipse with Liferay IDE/SDK/ant for projects already set up on such, and supporting fellow developers already on that toolchain track.

I am obviously excited by this new (to me) toolchain (toolstack, toolset?). I think, though, for broader adoption that initial project/plugin creation via maven needs better archetypes/approaches (as per my initial post here)... such certainly is good in Eclipse Liferay IDE via wizards...

Enjoy
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

I've been converting now for about a month. I'm still getting used to the differences (I miss the auto-newline thing when you're entering parameters and you can hit enter inside of the parens but you jump to the end of the line).

I also miss the nice editor for liferay-plugin-package.properties and service.xml files. Sure you can do things as text, but just knowing the tags of service.xml doesn't mean you memorize some of the expected values like the id types, etc.

But that seems to be a small price to pay so far.

The one thing I've been struggling with is relearning all of those key bindings... No, I'm not using Eclipse bindings cuz I want to use intellij fully.

Ah, well, could be worse emoticon
thumbnail

yes David, there are IDEA gui convenience tooling not there as we see in Eclipse IDE/Studio ; currently I think IntelliJ IDEA is for the more experienced Liferay developer, though by this most excellent intro from KG, there might be more converts
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Krzysztof Gołębiowski:

Regards,
KG

After a few months, gotta say: IntelliJ IDEA continues to be most excellent especially with JRebel. I am still using command line for maven, because I still have to support Eclipse developers where I prefer a common pattern for maven usage across either IDEA or Eclipse whether on windows (with gitbash), osx, and linux dev platforms. Similarly, I also have bailed out of incurring too much support for Eclipse EGit and prefer just command line git.

Enjoy
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

The only thing that keeps me going back to eclipse is the Vaadin IDE for laying out Vaadin pages. Unfortunately no support for IDEA there yet...
thumbnail
Andew Jardine, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2416 Beitrittsdatum: 22.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
I just finished watching the dev.life session the other day and am about to start my pilgrimage to IntelliJ. I think the last time I used it I was using version 4.x. I remember I loved it back in the day so I am excited to return to it. The only hesitation I have is that I do use the plugins for the Liferay IDE regularly -- I just don't have the memory to retain all the individual settings and parameters. Having said that, maybe I don't have the memory because I never had to emoticon.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

I don't either, but I do recommend configuring for the Liferay DTDs so at least the editor will help you with tags and attributes. Being a DTD though, it doesn't provide details for allowed values (such as the identity types for service.xml).