Foren

Branding with Header and Footer

Collin Scion, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Branding with Header and Footer

New Member Beiträge: 3 Beitrittsdatum: 13.01.15 Neueste Beiträge
Hello,

I searched around to see if this feature exists, but I did not see anything specific to what I was looking for.

Background:
We are using Liferay as an interactive storage for policy documents our company needs to have available. I have been creating Web Content files with the policy content and then using portlets to display each policy on different pages. This works well. I also like the ability to convert the web content to a Doc/PDF/TXT etc on the fly. If someone needs a printout of a company policy they just click the conversion button and done! Very awesome features!

Request:
What we would like would be the ability of the conversion process of the web content have some company branding or letterhead attached to the converted document. In other words it would look like a normal document on the portlet, but the printout would be "tagged" with company information and disclaimers

I know I can do this by adding a header/footer to each web content file, but its a little repetitive and it also makes the website look a little strange with headers and footers all over the web page.

Thanks for a great product, btw!! Very powerful and intuitive!
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

RE: Branding with Header and Footer

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2871 Beitrittsdatum: 31.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Collin,

I'm glad you are finding the product useful emoticon

Have you tried using Web Content Templates to achieve what you want? You could add the header and footer in the template so that you don't have to do it web content by web content.
Collin Scion, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 3 Beitrittsdatum: 13.01.15 Neueste Beiträge
HI Jorge,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty new to Liferay, but from what I understand would this append a header / footer to the pages when they are viewed in the liferay portal? I like not having them there, but need to provide some branding in case the user needs to export the file or print it out. Could I have the template not show the header / footer unless I convert or print?
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2871 Beitrittsdatum: 31.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Collin,

You are right, the web view and the generated PDFs/etc currently use the same template so either you show the header+footer in both or in none.

One solution would be to allow configuring a different template for the generation. That sounds like a good idea to me. Would you mind creating a feature request with the idea at: https://dev.liferay.com/participate/ideas? Make sure to pick the right component (I guess you are using Web Content Display)

For the short term, you can try implementing a hook to extend the portlet you are using to introduce this behavior yourself. The frontend side should be easy. The backend might be more challenging.