Foren

Unusual errors with Liferay Sync CE client

Mike Cunningham, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

Unusual errors with Liferay Sync CE client

Junior Member Beiträge: 52 Beitrittsdatum: 17.10.13 Neueste Beiträge
I have an issue - I'm having a lot of trouble with Sync that I'm trying to understand and fix.

I've created a new Win7 Pro VM for testing the sync client and the connectivity to the Liferay server.
Liferay Portal Community Edition 6.1.2 CE (Paton / Build 6102 / August 2, 2013)

When I drop a test text file into the Liferay folder on the client, it syncs OK with the server.
If I then modify this file on the client and save it, I get a download error message, but the modified file is available on the server (as a new version #).
If I then modify and save the file again, the sync client doesn't sync this file with the server AND if I try to do a compare on the server of the two
different versions, I get an error message saying the Documents service isn't available.

There are error messages in the catalina.out file on the server (Ubuntu VM).

Any help would be appreciated - has anyone seen this behaviour before? Suggestions?
thumbnail
Dennis Ju, geändert vor 9 Jahren.

RE: Unusual errors with Liferay Sync CE client

Regular Member Beiträge: 228 Beitrittsdatum: 30.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Mike,

Do you plan to stay on Portal 6.1 or will you be moving soon to Portal 6.2?

We've built a completely rewritten version (Liferay Sync 3) that will enter public beta soon, but it's only compatible with Portal 6.2. You can attend our Webinar on Wed for more details.

If you need compatibility with 6.1 with Sync 1.2, you can send me your logs and I can take a look, but you should know Sync 1.2 is in maintenance mode and all future development will focus on Sync 3.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for responding.

Your questions lead to a couple of my own.
How involved is it to move from Portal 6.1 to 6.2?
I ask because other than the Sync issue and some file ownership changes (another post),
the system is ready to go live.

Also, you mention Sync 1.2 being compatible with Portal 6.1 - I'm pretty sure the Sync plugin installed is 2.0.1 - is that a problem?

Mike

Update - it looks like the client I have is 1.2.2 GA3 - is this the wrong one?

Mike
thumbnail

Hi Mike,

I'd recommend looking over the upgrade guide to get an understanding of what's involved. It depends heavily on how much custom development (if any) has been done on your existing 6.1 portal.

Portal 6.1 doesn't make use of the Sync plugin, only portal 6.2 does. Do you have the Sync plugin installed? If so, you may already be on portal 6.2? Can you double check?

Pardon my ignorance - how / where do I check the Portal version?
Is it this info under Server Administration-> Liferay Portal Community Edition 6.1.2 CE (Paton / Build 6102 / August 2, 2013)
Thanks,

Mike
thumbnail

Yes, it appears you're on portal 6.1.

Thanks Dennis.

I'm in the process of upgrading to CE 6.2 GA3.

I had Liferay Sync 3 beta running yesterday, but after upgrading the client to the latest version (3004), it fails to connect to the server with a certificate issue.
Log file contents -

11:07:45.440 INFO [pool-1-thread-3] [SyncEngine:244] Starting Liferay Sync
11:07:45.465 TRACE [pool-9-thread-1] [BaseEvent:131] Processing event GetSyncContextEvent
11:07:47.158 TRACE [pool-9-thread-1] [BaseJSONHandler:259] Handling response GetSyncContextHandler
11:08:17.838 DEBUG [Thread-12] [SyncClientUpdater:177] Updating Liferay Sync to build 3004
11:09:05.094 INFO [Thread-12] [SyncEngine:262] Stopping Liferay Sync
11:10:59.546 INFO [JavaFX Application Thread] [UpgradeUtil:84] Upgrading to 3004
11:11:00.950 INFO [pool-1-thread-3] [SyncEngine:245] Starting Liferay Sync
11:11:31.291 TRACE [Thread-13] [VerifyServerService:115] sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

Anyone else had this problem?

Mike
thumbnail

Hi Mike,

I'm assuming the server you're connecting to is using a self-signed/expired certificate? Do you get a certificate warning when going to the server via a web browser?

And if so, do you get a pop-up in the add account wizard asking whether you want to trust unsigned certificates? Are you unable to login even after you click "Confirm"?

Were you able to connect to the server on a previous version of Liferay Sync?

Dennis,

Yes, I'm using a self-signed certificate on the Liferay server.
I get the warning messages about it being an untrusted connection, but I'm able to access the Liferay portal if I click accept.
The error messages show up in the Liferay Sync log on the client PC (x64).
With the 3001 client I can connect and sync (although there are error messages and it's slow).
With the 3004 client I cannot connect.

Mike
thumbnail

Hi Mike,

I tried upgrading from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4 connecting to a server w/ a self-signed certificate, and I couldn't reproduce your error. When you say you "cannot connect" with 3004, can you explain exactly what's happening? Is this with a client that already has the server configured or is this a new account? If it's a new account, you said you're able to access the portal after you accept the warning message, are you able to sync afterwards? If not, what error message are you seeing in the status of the notification icon? If this is with a pre-existing server, does it work if you remove the account and re-add the account?

Dennis,

It's with a client trying to connect to a configured server, however there are errors in both catalina.out on the server,
and in the client PC Liferay Sync logs.

I'm using my own account to try to sync with the server and don't really want to delete and recreate it...

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Dennis,

I really need to get Sync working - what info can I provide you so the sync problem can be determined and resolved?

Thanks,

Mike
thumbnail

Hi Mike,

Can you send me your logs at dennis.ju@liferay.com? Go to "Preferences" -> "General" tab -> "save logs" at the bottom right.

Are you able to test setting up your account using Sync on a different computer?

Or if you don't have access to another computer, you can try turning off Sync, rename the folder "{your home folder}\.liferay-sync-3" to another directory, then starting Sync. Sync looks for that folder on startup and will start fresh if it's not found. You can then try setting up your account and see if it works. After you're done testing, you can shut off Sync, delete the newly created folder, then rename the original folder back to .liferay-sync-3.

Hi Dennis,

I'm emailing the client Liferay Sync log and the portion of catalina.out that covers the startup this morning.

Unfortunately I have no access to another PC for testing purposes - just a Win7 deployment running in a VM.

I deleted the Liferay Sync folder on the client after removing the application and then re-installed version 3001.
The files on the server sync'd with the client OK, even though there are error messages.
I edited a file and the changes appeared to update the file on the server to a newer version.
EDIT: I can't tell for sure as the Compare versions functionality doesn't work.

Mike
thumbnail

Hi Mike,

I'm looking at your logs, and I don't anything out of the ordinary. The SSLHandShake exception in the client logs is expected when you connect to an untrusted https server, but the client then prompts you to trust the connection anyway.

Also, you mentioned the connection problems occurred with 3.0.4? Are you currently running 3.0.1? If everything's currently working, the logs aren't really telling me anything informative. Can you upgrade to 3.0.4 and describe exactly what sort of "connection errors" you're seeing? Errors in the logs aren't necessarily indicative of connection problems. Does the Sync client itself actually say it's disconnected on the tray icon?

I don't understand...
I selected upgrade to the 3.0.4 client and it worked (is working) and has synced all the folders.
The only thing I can think of is 3.0.4 doesn't like to setup the initial configuration, but can work with the 3.0.1 config file?
thumbnail

Hi Mike,

I'm still trying to understand how you know 3.0.4 wasn't connecting to the server previously. Was it based on the error message alone? Because the error message doesn't indicate a connection problem. Or was it because the status actually said it was "Disconnected"?

With 3.0.4, when I started the Liferay client, I got the login screen and entered the server address, then clicked on Connect.
There was an error message and the Connect was replaced with an 'X'.

EDIT: I added another user account to the Sync setup. There are a lot of errors. I've emailed you the log.

Mike
thumbnail

I see.

So you already had an account configured on Sync 3.0.1 which was syncing fine. Then after you upgraded to 3.0.4, the add account wizard appeared again asking you to create a new account?

Can you send me all the logs from when you originally upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.0.4? I'm guessing something went wrong with the upgrade.

No, I specifically started the preferences deleted my account and added the new user.
I think the upgrade went OK - as per your email, it might be a permissions issue.

Mike