Foren

Development speed in plugin sdk

thumbnail
Sebastián Gurin, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Development speed in plugin sdk

Junior Member Beiträge: 75 Beitrittsdatum: 13.06.07 Neueste Beiträge
hello all. I'm developing my jsp portlets in liferay plugins sdk is OK with the exception that development in SDK is "slow". Explaining better: Each time I change a jsp or in the SDK I have to "ant all" for redeploying the portlet (and apply/test the changes). The portlet redeploy takes about 10 - 15 secs. So there are 10-15 dead seconds that I have to wait each time I need to test a jsp change.

I would like to know if it is really neccesary to redeploy an entire portlet only for a jsp change. I tried to modify directly the deployed jsps in tomcat/webapps/myPortlet but the changes are not applied to the portal. The jsp changes are only applied when the portlet is redeployed.

Note: Im using tomcat 5.5 and is in developer mode already (if I change the portals jsps directly in tomcat/webapps/ROOT the changes are applied ok without invoking ant, but not the changes to a portlet jsp in webapps.)

So anybody has any idea about how can I directly change to jsps without having to make "ant all"?

Thanks in advance
thumbnail
Raj K, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: Development speed in plugin sdk

Regular Member Beiträge: 214 Beitrittsdatum: 19.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Sebastián Gurin:

I would like to know if it is really neccesary to redeploy an entire portlet only for a jsp change.

Hi Sebastian,

Just change the jsp on the server where its deployed and do any change in the web.xml and save it(just add a space somewhere).
This will publish your jsp changes.
thumbnail

Raj K : That worked! Thanks! in linux I have created a deploy-fast.sh script in the portlet dir with something like this:

cp -r docroot/*.jsp /.../tomcat/webapps/my-portlet
echo " " >> /.../tomcat/webapps/my-portlet/WEB-INF/web.xml

that deploys de jsps almost instantaneusly.

Thanks again.
thumbnail
Amos Fong, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2047 Beitrittsdatum: 07.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Sebastian,

Try making changes in the JSP in the tomcat/temp/plugin_name/etc.. folder, I think those should be instant.

Amos
thumbnail

Thanks Amos for your suggestion. Unfortunately, in tomcat 5.5 I have a temp directory but contains no jsps, only a liferay/com/liferay/portal/deploy/dependencies with some .jars. What version of tomcat are you using? Also I searched recursively on tomcat directory for ".jsp" files and all of them are in webapps/ ... Nevertheless I will check my tomcat configuration...
thumbnail
Amos Fong, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2047 Beitrittsdatum: 07.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
I'm using tomcat 6.0.18 so that may be it...it was actually in the tomcat/work directory for me.
thumbnail
Jan Gregor, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 224 Beitrittsdatum: 20.10.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi all,

For enabling development without need of deployment i strongly recommend to have a look at our new community project !

Regards,
Jan.