Foren

URL from msword or Powerpoint is redirecting

sasi Kanth, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

URL from msword or Powerpoint is redirecting

Junior Member Beiträge: 35 Beitrittsdatum: 01.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi everybody,

I have identified a problem in Liferay. But please let me know whether it is a problem or it has any significance.

Test scenario :

1. Create a open community in the portal.
2. Create a public page in the community.
3. Remove the Guest permission for the page and keep the poweruser permission to view the page.
4. Copy the link of the page and place it in a MicroSoft Word or Power point.
5. Login with a user who has the power user role.
6. Click on the link to access page from MS word or Power point.
7. You will be redirected to the Login page even though you are already loggin into the same browser and have the poweruser role.

But if you give permission to the "Guest" role to view the page then try to access the link from MS word or Power Point then it will work properly.

And this problem only if you access the link from the word or ppt but if you paste the link in the brwoser then it is fine.

Can anybody please explain what exactly the problem?
sasi Kanth, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: URL from msword or Powerpoint is redirecting

Junior Member Beiträge: 35 Beitrittsdatum: 01.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi All,

Please confirm the above approach whether this is a bug or my wrong assumption?

Anybody help on this.

Thank you

Sasikanth
Mark Siemon, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 10 Beitrittsdatum: 25.12.08 Neueste Beiträge
I have the same issue. The link works fine from other sources (email for example) and it works fine if the user is not signed in. Anyone have any thoughts on what the issue might be?
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1519 Beitrittsdatum: 07.08.06 Neueste Beiträge
Are you using IE or some other browser? If it's opening the link in IE I think office is creating a new instance of the browser so you are no longer logged in. Same thing happens with Webdav. If you open a office document from WebDav folder office will prompt you to reenter your username and password.

Hi Mika,
Thanks for the response. The problem is a little different though. When I click on the link, IE is opening Liferay in a new tab and then Liferay is sending me to a sign-on screen. But the screen is showing me as signed on, so I'm not losing the session. If Liferay is recognizing me as signed on, why doesn't it display the requested page? I think your right that it has something to do with the session.

I am using IE but I believe I will see the same problem in Firefox. I'll verify that when I'm back in the office.

Thanks again for the response,
Mark

I was able to confirm that the issue exists regardless of which browser is used. The behavior is the same when I use Firefox.

-Mark
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
If you enable to automatically sign you in, I think you'll be able to open the Liferay page. I think this isn't just an issue with MS Office products, attaching a link to any software results in a similar behavior.

Hi Hitoshi,
The issue only seems to occur from MSWord (and apparently Powerpoint, but I haven't verified that). If the same link is included in an email or a PDF for example, the issue does not occur. The issue appears when the user is already signed in, so automatic sign in doesn't help.

-Mark
thumbnail

Can you tell me which version of MS Word and MS Powerpoint you're using? It may be because I'm using Japanese version, but I can't replicate the problem with Liferay 6.1.0 GA1 I'm using.

That might be good news. I'm using Liferay 5.2 so perhaps it's corrected in 6.x. We saw the behavior in Word on office 2007 and office 2003. I didn't try to reproduce it on Powerpoint, but apparently the OP did.

Thanks for the help.

-Mark
thumbnail

I'm using Liferay 5.2 so perhaps it's corrected in 6.x.

This may be it. I just build a system using Liferay where end user can upload document content with links to Liferay pages. It seems to be working well.
Craig Laidlaw, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 9 Beitrittsdatum: 21.11.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Mark,

We are seeing the same behavior on links from Word 2010 to private pages. The initial page brings up the login portlet and the redirect works fine.

All subsequent links to private pages from Word stop at the login portlet displaying "signed in" (the url shows redirection but the action isn't taking place.)

If I save the Word doc to pdf the same links redirect just fine. We are running 6.0eeSP1

Have you figured out why the redirects are failing or a work around so the links work from Word without saving to a different format?

Thanks,

Craig Laidlaw
thumbnail
Shinn Lok, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 89 Beitrittsdatum: 14.01.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Craig,

The reason why it's only occuring in Word but not elsewhere is because it's an issue with how Office documents handle their links. Because it's a Web-aware application, it expects it's own authentication and Liferay doesn't support authentication across browsers at the moment.

Here is the documentation of the issue that containing a workaround: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899927