Foren

Making portlet/hook development a bit easier

fastbob fastbob, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Making portlet/hook development a bit easier

Regular Member Beiträge: 221 Beitrittsdatum: 16.05.05 Neueste Beiträge
I've spent quite a bit of time tracking down jar and classloader issues while developing portlets and hooks. The problem is exceptions like no class found are swallowed and not displayed. This makes it quite hard to figure out what's going on.

A suggestion: how about displaying exceptions when a portlet fails to load, include errors in the configuration files?
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: Making portlet/hook development a bit easier

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1191 Beitrittsdatum: 10.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
That would mean liferay developers would have to start following commonly accepted best practices.
I am not sure they could handle the culture change.

The list of suggestions on could offer the liferay devs is practically endless, alas it is what it is
thumbnail
Brian Chan, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 753 Beitrittsdatum: 05.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
Let me know what changes are needed. The best way is to create LPS tickets with patches. We'll do our best to improve the dev experience. We make our products to make life easier for you guys, but when we mess up, we'll do our best to improve so we can better serve you guys.

Thanks for the offer, Brian. I'll do what I can, but obviously I'm not as familiar with the code as you and your team. It's just one of those things that you may not notice if you're creating a simple portlet or are very familiar with the process.

jelmer kuperus:
That would mean liferay developers would have to start following commonly accepted best practices.

In their defense, I believe the Liferay team is doing things the best way they know. And it can be quite difficult to build a self-funded company depending on consulting and subscriptions. It's remarkable where they're at.

That said, in the past I've offered to help Liferay develop practices that would make life a lot easier for them (and us), but there was no interest. Maybe with a release that was more that six months late, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical.
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1191 Beitrittsdatum: 10.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
but obviously I'm not as familiar with the code as you and your team.

The fact that this is an issue, is kind of at the heart of the problem with liferay. Submitting patches to *some* projects is a joy because the overall architecture is sound and you are only solving small oversights. In liferay more often than not issues are more fundamental and it's not at all obvious how to solve an issue. Even patches by their own engineers frequently get rolled back because they went about it the wrong way. When you check the svn history there are many examples of this. More over, submitting patches is not a guarantee that things will get solved many many LPS issues go unresolved even those with a user contributed solution.

For a good example of how liferay handles LPS issues go to http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/5445961

I guess I'm not convinced the real issue is architecture but rather something more like communication, training, or other reasons. However, any further discussion would become pure speculation (and useless) without the participation of Liferay.