Foren

New Bootstrap THeme

Jatinderpal Singh, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Bootstrap THeme

Junior Member Beiträge: 49 Beitrittsdatum: 14.08.15 Neueste Beiträge
Hi ! I am using Bootstrap Responsive theme which is based on Bootstrap 2.3.2.
I want to convert it into Bootstrap3 theme.
Kindly guide me what things need to be done to achieve this ?
1. I have copied all the css files to css folder of the theme. But there are 2 extra css files. Now where to refer these 2 new files.
2. I have copied all the js files to js folder of the theme. But there is one extra js file. I referred it in portal_normal.vm file.
3. I have copied all images into images folder of theme.

I have made changes to templates. Replaced span* with col-sm-*.

Is there anything else I need to do. Because After doing all this, still it is not coming as expected.

Kindly guide me.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: New Bootstrap THeme

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Jatinderpal Singh:
Kindly guide me what things need to be done to achieve this ?

Get out your can of fairy dust and sprinkle it over your keyboard just waiting for the magic to happen.

Seriously this is not easy at all. Alloy generates stuff that is BS2-compatible, not BS3. So you'd basically have to take over everything in the portal (dockbar display, page display, edit the entire alloy library, ...).

Your best bet is to stick with BS2 and just wait for BS3 in a future release.
thumbnail
M J, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 184 Beitrittsdatum: 01.03.13 Neueste Beiträge
As David suggested, you cannot convert your 6.2 theme to Bootstrap 3. Wait till Liferay 7. Good luck.

Thank you Guys.

By the way, I have created Bootstrap3 based theme for Liferay 6.1....
Conversion was really difficult.So, I decided to create it from scratch.
And Guess what, starting from scratch, it took me only one hour to complete the theme with Bootstrap3 and its 5 templates also.
thumbnail
Wouter Vernaillen, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 80 Beitrittsdatum: 06.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Jatinderpal,
That's really interesting. Can you share a bit more how you achieved that? From which base theme did you start? _unstyled?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Jatinderpal Singh:
And Guess what, starting from scratch, it took me only one hour to complete the theme with Bootstrap3 and its 5 templates also.

If this applies to Liferay 6.2, you'll become famous if you share and it works. Bootstrap 3 on 6.1 is well known to work, just on 6.2 you'd have to undo a lot of the Bootstrap 2.3.2 integration.
thumbnail
Wouter Vernaillen, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 80 Beitrittsdatum: 06.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
it's time for LR7 then ;)
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Eh, it's coming for sure. Have to ask yourself if you want to be on the cutting edge. Liferay can sure use some help with testing and verification if you're willing...

I have created it with Liferay 6.1 Enterprise Edition. I don't have access to Liferay 6.2 Enterprise edition. So, I can not test it with version 6.2. I am facing few issues with new theme. I am unable to gather that whether this is because of new theme or something else.
Like I am now not able to select layout of few pages. I have to delete them and have to re-create them and then I am able to change the layout.

Moreover, I was not aware that Bootstrap3 is officially not supported. I just read the bootstrap documentation and accordingly merged liferay code with it.
Few people here talking about control panel with bootstrap3, but I have written the theme for front end only, it does not affect the control panel at all.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
As I said above: With 6.1 it works, because Liferay itself has no reference to bootstrap yet (in that version). Thus you can easily just introduce Bootstrap 3. For Liferay 6.2 you'll need to undo the whole integration of Bootstrap 2.3.2 and reimplement/rewire everything that Liferay did. Quite a large task, and probably one that will need attention with the next fixpack anyway.

That being said: If someone managed to integrate BS3 with Liferay 6.2, they'll become famous - especially after sharing the experience. Otherwise: Wait for Liferay 7 to make your life easier.
thumbnail
David Proba, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 26 Beitrittsdatum: 30.10.14 Neueste Beiträge
https://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/36578612#_19_message_55863000