Foren

Editing Deployed Themes (6.2 GA3)

thumbnail
Achmed Tyrannus Albab, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

Editing Deployed Themes (6.2 GA3)

Regular Member Beiträge: 158 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

Usually prior to version 6.2, I used to make my themes only via Notepad++.
But recently i learned to use Liferay IDE (eclipse) and SDK to create themes.
I had completed a theme and had been using the theme for a while.

My problem now is, my laptop together with the backup was stolen. And i need to edit my theme.
I tried editing directly onto the theme, but there are a lot that is not working right.

So I am wondering, how do i take the deployed theme, and import it to Liferay IDE (eclipse) for me to edit it again?
Since the source(or undeployed version) was stolen.

I googled earlier that someone suggested to use the already deployed theme as parent/base theme.
I tried following the steps but couldn't get it right.

Also I would prefer to use the existing theme to be edited directly rather than use it as a base.

All the help would be great. Thanks.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

RE: Editing Deployed Themes (6.2 GA3) (Antwort)

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
To reverse engineer a theme project, start by creating a new theme project (either in the command line or in the IDE).

The next step will be to identify the overridden files in your theme from the original parent theme. Remember that since you put your overrides in the _diffs folder, any change in your theme to the parent theme would have come from _diffs. So you can find all of the changed files and put them back into _diffs.

Of course I must stick in the obligatory recommendations that a) you should be backing up your work assets so you can recover from disasters (a laptop theft is a disaster, IMHO) and b) you should be using a revision control system so your code does not live on your computer (instead it's stored on a remote server that is also backed up so it can be recovered in the case of disaster).

Even lone developers can use tools like bitbucket to establish an offsite revision control system for your projects, so there really is no excuse.
thumbnail

RE: Editing Deployed Themes (6.2 GA3)

David H Nebinger:
To reverse engineer a theme project, start by creating a new theme project (either in the command line or in the IDE).

The next step will be to identify the overridden files in your theme from the original parent theme. Remember that since you put your overrides in the _diffs folder, any change in your theme to the parent theme would have come from _diffs. So you can find all of the changed files and put them back into _diffs.

Of course I must stick in the obligatory recommendations that a) you should be backing up your work assets so you can recover from disasters (a laptop theft is a disaster, IMHO) and b) you should be using a revision control system so your code does not live on your computer (instead it's stored on a remote server that is also backed up so it can be recovered in the case of disaster).

Even lone developers can use tools like bitbucket to establish an offsite revision control system for your projects, so there really is no excuse.

Basically that is what i was and still doing. Reverse engineering.
Seems a little better now but i'm not sure if there are any parts that i had left out.
Hopefully no issues in deployment. I wish i could've list down what I did for other who may suffer from same disaster issue, but it is more of a trial and error.
So sorry.

And yes, I'm not a coder by profession nor interest, but I've heard of those developer backup tools, tortoise svn and what not. Been avoiding it (heh) , but i guess i'll have to start somewhere. Thanks for the heads up and the fast reply. emoticon
salah div, geändert vor 8 Jahren.

New Member Beitrag: 1 Beitrittsdatum: 16.02.14 Neueste Beiträge
i have the same issue . is that is mean no way to solve it.
thumbnail

Reverse engineering is the way to solve it. emoticon