Foren

PLEASE READ: Welcome to the Liferay Leadership Team Forum!

thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

PLEASE READ: Welcome to the Liferay Leadership Team Forum!

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1399 Beitrittsdatum: 17.09.10 Neueste Beiträge
Welcome to the discussion forum for the Liferay Community Leadership Team. As part of Liferay's re-commitment to open source and its community in 2011, we've started this program to identify existing community leaders, foster new leaders, and give voice to the community's growing impact on Liferay's open source project and product. The team works for the betterment of the Liferay open source project.

The unofficial charter of the team is:

• To represent a diverse subset of the larger community,
  • Interact with the core Liferay staff on engineering and other development topics pertaining to the community,
  • Contribute discussions, thoughts, ideas, and expertise to the overall direction of Liferay's open source products,
  • Represent the Liferay Community to other open source projects directly or indirectly related to Liferay,
  • Mentor community members who wish to take a more active role in the project

The current team consists of:
  • Szymon Gołębiewski
  • Tobias S. Käfer
  • Yousri B
  • Juan Gonzalez P
  • Boubker TAGNAOUTI
  • Corné Aussems
  • Tomas Polesovsky
  • Maarten Van Heiningen
  • Baptiste Grenier
  • Jorge Ferrer
  • Deb Troxel
  • James Falkner

FAQ

How can I join the team? Is there an election process?

The team is currently open to anyone that has demonstrated a willingness to participate and provide contributions (not always code). There is no election process, as the team doesn't represent the community in any official capacity and is not responsible for decisions affecting the project. If you are interested in participating, just contact community@liferay.com.

How and why was the team formed?

Liferay began as a small open source project for non-profits. Since 2000, it has grown in the world's leading open source enterprise portal framework. With that popularity came tremendous growth in its community, to over 35,000 members (not all active of course). While Liferay has always been dedicated to open source, at times, 35,000 people all providing input was too noisy, and a better solution was needed. The leadership team consists of a small, yet diverse, group of community members that are more easily consulted and can have an immediate impact on Liferay and its open source mission. A group of around 10 members were initially selected based on their demonstrated value to the community.

In the future, it may be necessary to limit the size of the team to maintain its manageability and effectiveness, but as of now that is not the case.

What are the responsibilities of team members?

To date, there are no specific requirements or deliverables from the team. The team meets on an as-needed basis, or interacts through various forums, emails, etc. Essentially, whenever the community needs to be consulted for various reasons (engineering direction questions, new feature discussions, etc), the team will be consulted first as a sort of expert group, to get input from the identified leaders, though the larger community will always be encouraged to participate, outside of this specific team.

Why should I consider participating?

If Liferay's open source products affect your day-to-day activities, you have a reasonable amount of experience with the project, and you wish to have more of a voice in the product's evolution, and are interested in fostering growth and expertise in the Liferay community, this is the place to do it!
thumbnail
Steffen Schuler, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

RE: PLEASE READ: Welcome to the Liferay Leadership Team Forum!

Regular Member Beiträge: 137 Beitrittsdatum: 12.05.08 Neueste Beiträge
... just stumbled over an interesting summer of code blog entry - it is now possible for an organisation like yours to become a mentor for students, getting paid by the google summer of code project.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html

This could mean, that LF could provide some nice development opportunities for students...
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 13 Jahren.

Steffen Schuler:
... just stumbled over an interesting summer of code blog entry - it is now possible for an organisation like yours to become a mentor for students, getting paid by the google summer of code project.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html

This could mean, that LF could provide some nice development opportunities for students...

Yep, I am working on Liferay's Mentoring Oraganization submission as I type!
thumbnail
Laia S., geändert vor 13 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 24 Beitrittsdatum: 26.10.09 Neueste Beiträge
There is also this initiative http://www.openusability.org/index.php/sou/ to improve usability in FLOSS...

The deadline is the end of March.
thumbnail
Steffen Schuler, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 137 Beitrittsdatum: 12.05.08 Neueste Beiträge
Nice, but it seems like liferay didn't make it.
thumbnail
James Falkner, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Steffen Schuler:
Nice, but it seems like liferay didn't make it.

Nope, we did not get selected for this year's Google Summer of Code emoticon Maybe next year!
thumbnail
Ryan Terwedo, geändert vor 12 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 94 Beitrittsdatum: 31.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Would love to join and help, where can I get details?
thumbnail

Ryan Terwedo:

Hey Ryan, we meet quarterly via skype. Our next meeting will be in mid-October. The agenda is usually solidified a week in advance. You can find minutes from our previous meetings here, and here.

I've added you to the list, so expect an email soon! I'll send out an update to the whole team.
thumbnail

James Falkner:
Ryan Terwedo:

Hey Ryan, we meet quarterly via skype. Our next meeting will be in mid-October. The agenda is usually solidified a week in advance. You can find minutes from our previous meetings here, and here.

I've added you to the list, so expect an email soon! I'll send out an update to the whole team.

James- Never got an email.. =) When is the next one?

Please use email ryan@structuredria.com NOT my yahoo...
thumbnail

Ryan Terwedo:
James Falkner:
Ryan Terwedo:

James- Never got an email.. =) When is the next one?

Please use email ryan@structuredria.com NOT my yahoo...

You probably caught us as we transitioned from email to forum based. You should subscribe to this forum category: http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/category/7668656 (click "subscribe" at the upper-right) and that way you'll get emails from the team and can more socially participate.

I am going to start the ball rolling on our January meeting.
thumbnail

Done and done...