Foren

Social Office Update

thumbnail
Bryan Cheung, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Social Office Update

Expert Beiträge: 373 Beitrittsdatum: 27.08.04 Neueste Beiträge
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on how things are going with Social Office. We are wrapping up our new functionality (yes I know "beta" is supposed to mean feature freeze). Things are coming along nicely but we are still doing some finishing touches on the UI, especially with AJAX issues.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the actual working product. It shows, among other things:

• The new Tasks portlet. You can see multiple tasks, and my personal favorite feature, an integrated status bar that lets you update status very easily—pleases managers and pleases assignees.
• The new Contacts portlet. You will be able to sub-select contacts by Site and then do an email en masse to all Site members. There are other goodies in the works. You can also see whether someone is logged in so you can chat with them. And we will have Group Chat at some point as well.

Schedule-wise, we should be cutting a beta within the next couple of weeks; some issues may remain but at this point we'd rather get the product out to you guys so you can test and report bugs.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for your patience and support.

Best,
Bryan
thumbnail
Channing K Jackson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Social Office Update

Junior Member Beiträge: 67 Beitrittsdatum: 13.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
Thanks for the update Bryan.

In other posts, you've mentioned that the SO portlet, the Contacts portlet, and the Tasks portlet are there.

Are they being authored such that they can be installed independently into an existing Liferay Portal environment as a portlet app?
Bruno Hernan Gallo, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 16 Beitrittsdatum: 27.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
Channing K Jackson:
Thanks for the update Bryan.

In other posts, you've mentioned that the SO portlet, the Contacts portlet, and the Tasks portlet are there.

Are they being authored such that they can be installed independently into an existing Liferay Portal environment as a portlet app?

Dear Channing:
I'm Interested in the same needs that yours. Have you been able to install SO contacts portlet, or example, in liferay portal?

Regards,
Bruno
thumbnail
Channing K Jackson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 67 Beitrittsdatum: 13.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Bruno,

My focus has been on things other than SO recently, so no, I haven't had an opportunity to even try that.
Bruno Hernan Gallo, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 16 Beitrittsdatum: 27.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
Channing,
Thanks anyway!

Regards,
Bruno
thumbnail
Wilson Man, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 581 Beitrittsdatum: 21.06.06 Neueste Beiträge
oh nice, I didn't know you know Mr. Zoolander!
thumbnail
Hesediel Jackson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 37 Beitrittsdatum: 10.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Bryan,

First of all : Zoolander is a GREAT movie emoticon. I'm a jira user and I can't stop looking on Liferay Social Office. In the Jira, I've the impression things are kind of frozen but with your post here, I'm reassuring myself emoticon.

When is the new beta release planned ?

Thanks in advance,

Hesediel.
thumbnail

Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Social Office] RE: Social Office Update

Hi Hesediel,

Thanks for your patience on Social Office. You could say we just want
to make sure that it's really really really ridiculously good looking.

But there's more to software than just being really good looking, like
being intuitive like and helping people to collaborate good too.

Yes, it's late. emoticon
thumbnail
Jamie L Sammons, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 33 Beitrittsdatum: 18.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Bryan,

I have been putting more thought into the JIRA entry I entered on changing the Status in Social Office: http://issues.liferay.com/browse/SOS-71

Instead of an open ended status change we were wondering if it was possible to integrate the new Task Management portlet with Activities. What we are thinking is it would be nice for me to somehow mark a task as the current task that I'm working on and then have the Activities reflect that.

As an example from your screen shot let's say that I choose Test New Task Manager as my current task. Activities would then have an entry that says: Jamie is currently working on Task: Test New Task Manager. This would give it a very LinkedIn feeling I think.

Just a thought. Let me know what you think.

Jamie
thumbnail

Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Social Office] RE: Social Office Update

Instead of an open ended status change we were wondering if it
was possible to integrate the new Task Management portlet with
Activities. What we are thinking is it would be nice for me to somehow
mark a task as the current task that I'm working on and then have the
Activities reflect that.

As an example from your screen shot let's say that I choose Test New
Task Manager as my current task. Activities would then have an entry
that says: Jamie is currently working on Task: Test New Task Manager.
This would give it a very LinkedIn feeling I think.

Definitely a good idea, but would that mean that we would do away with
a user definable status message completely?

I think in the interest of hitting our release, though, we will need
to wait til next version on something like this.
thumbnail
Jamie L Sammons, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

RE: Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Social Office] RE: Social Office Update

Junior Member Beiträge: 33 Beitrittsdatum: 18.11.08 Neueste Beiträge
I don't think user definable status needs to be removed. I was just questioning whether we would want it to feed into Activities like we were suggesting before. That's why I was thinking about having the Task Management feed into Activities instead because it may be a little more business appropriate as opposed to an open ended status feeding in.

On the topic of Task Management I noticed that the portlet only shows up on the user's home and it seems pretty much scoped to users at this point. Are there plans to include a Task Management portlet inside of each site scoped to that level as well? Like how activities work today?

I completely understand waiting until after the release. I have been closely following the progress in Subversion and I am completely amazed by what I am seeing. Keep up the good work!

Speaking of building from Subversion, I can't seem to get the Contacts portlet to work. Keeps telling me that it can't find the soffice.Contacts_Site Table in the database even though it know its in there. Oh well. I guess that's the price you pay building from the source :o)
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2034 Beitrittsdatum: 05.03.09 Neueste Beiträge
Much like the RSS portlet accepting feeds from multiple sources, I don't see why you can't have your "Task List" feed your activities along with what you, the end user, puts in there as well.
thumbnail

Lisa,

There is a social activities API that can be used to accomplish that. We haven't implemented it for the tasks portlet yet but it will be on the roadmap for future release.
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 78 Beitrittsdatum: 01.04.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Bryan

I notice your announcement has been around for a while.

By when can we expect the next release?

Will this still be beta or can we expect a stable release soon?

Regards
thumbnail

Hi Hennie,

We are trying to wrap up the second phase this week for packaging. I will update you soon.
thumbnail
Hennie de Villiers, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 78 Beitrittsdatum: 01.04.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Bryan

Looking forward to it. Will this still be an Apache based release or will there be versions for Glassfish etc..

Regards
thumbnail
Mickey Fox, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 60 Beitrittsdatum: 15.07.09 Neueste Beiträge
Brian: I, too, am eagerly awaiting the roll out. Than you very much for the update. I also echo: will roll-out contain builds for Tomcat6, Glassfish, etc.?
thumbnail

Mickey, Hennie,

I do apologize for the several delays. We are packaging today and I will post to the forums when it's available.

Unfortunately we will only have a Tomcat bundle to start with.
Philip Sbrogna, geändert vor 14 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 2 Beitrittsdatum: 24.09.09 Neueste Beiträge
Mr. Cheung,

Is there an ETA yet on a WAR file for deploying Social Office? I've evaluated the Tomcat+SO bundle but am very interested in getting SO to work in a pre-existing Tomcat or Glassfish environment.

Respectfully,
Philip Sbrogna