Message Boards

Vaadin Project and Liferay SDK plugin do not cooperate

thumbnail
Robert Carnecky, modified 10 Years ago.

Vaadin Project and Liferay SDK plugin do not cooperate

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/15/12 Recent Posts
After Eclipse Liferay SDK Plugin installation all my Vaadin Projects (not Vaadin Liferay Portal projects, just Vaadin standalone projects) was marked erroneous. However I cannot find any reason for this error icon. When I uninstall Liferay Plugin, error icon disappears. Any idea?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: Vaadin Project and Liferay SDK plugin do not cooperate

Liferay Legend Posts: 14919 Join Date: 9/2/06 Recent Posts
Not sure, but I typically go the opposite direction. Start with the Liferay IDE w/ SDK in, then add the Vaadin editor in after the fact.

Did you find an error in the Problems tab? They always are listed there...
thumbnail
Robert Carnecky, modified 10 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/15/12 Recent Posts
Yes, in Problems view I see the error message 'The SDK name of this PluginSDK project is not set' (see screenshot). Obviously Lifery plugin means my Vaadin projects are Liferay Plugin Projects. This is Liferay plugin bug. Maybe anybody should tell Liferay developer team, that not all Vaadin projects are automatically Liferay Vaadin portlet projects.

I have no idea how to solve this issue, because my Vaadin projects have no Liferay facets and no Liferay properties and I have no chance to fake somewhere the SDK name.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modified 10 Years ago.

Liferay Legend Posts: 14919 Join Date: 9/2/06 Recent Posts
Well, you can open a bug in Jira and see how far it gets. I'd take a look at the project files for a real SDK project and see if you can find the appropriate changes to remove the error...

I'm sure Greg's doing great work, but you must remember that often times Eclipse plugin development happens in a silo; they're worried about making their plugin work in Eclipse, not necessarily making their plugin work with other plugins...
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, modified 10 Years ago.

Liferay Legend Posts: 1123 Join Date: 2/16/10 Recent Posts
Robert Carnecky:
Yes, in Problems view I see the error message 'The SDK name of this PluginSDK project is not set' (see screenshot). Obviously Lifery plugin means my Vaadin projects are Liferay Plugin Projects. This is Liferay plugin bug. Maybe anybody should tell Liferay developer team, that not all Vaadin projects are automatically Liferay Vaadin portlet projects.

I have no idea how to solve this issue, because my Vaadin projects have no Liferay facets and no Liferay properties and I have no chance to fake somewhere the SDK name.

Hey Robert,

You are correct, this is a bug in Liferay IDE plugin. Thanks for taking the time to report this issue. In the most recent version we added a project validation for Liferay PluginsSDK project to help users with a common project configuration issue that prevents things from working and we added a validation marker. It seems that in your case we are marking a project that isn't one of "our" projects, by "our" I mean a web project with liferay.portlet facet configured. Sorry for the trouble, you can remove the marker manually from the project using the markers view. However, the error may come back. Also another workaround is to set the SDK name manually, that our Liferay IDE plugin is checking for, by doing this:
1. setup a plugins SDK
2. manually enter a .settings/com.liferay.ide.sdk.core.prefs file to add a value like this
sdk-name=liferay-plugins-sdk-6.2.0
where the name is the name of the configured SDK

OR you can wait a few days until we get this fixed and published to our nightly updatesite emoticon

Thanks again.
Thomas Hofmann, modified 10 Years ago.

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 4/1/14 Recent Posts
Hey Gregory,

I have a similar problem. We are using one Eclipse(Kepler SR2)-Package with Liferay-PluginSDK installed for both, projects for Liferay/maven and projects with Java and Dynamic Web Module facets WITHOUT MAVEN. And here I have still the Validation error mentioned for Vaadin. The last fix IDE-1470 'make liferay sdk validator only support liferay project' didn't help, because projects without maven get the marker set. (See codeline 77f. com.liferay.ide.project.core/src/com/liferay/ide/project/core/PluginsSDKProjectRuntimeValidator.java )
Maybe we could get another fix or option for turning of this validation?
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, modified 10 Years ago.

Liferay Legend Posts: 1123 Join Date: 2/16/10 Recent Posts
Can you try to upgrade to latest version and let me know if that fixes the problem? http://releases.liferay.com/tools/ide/latest/stable/