Foros de discusión

Translation of "Community"/"Site" to german

thumbnail
Dave Kliczbor, modificado hace 12 años.

Translation of "Community"/"Site" to german

Junior Member Mensajes: 77 Fecha de incorporación: 12/07/11 Mensajes recientes
Hello there,

We just started our first liferay project on LR 6.1 CE (well, we started using 6.0.6, there every translation was clear) and are now struggling a bit with the german translation. I'd also like to contribute via pootle, but there's one point that's a bit confusing...

In LR 6.0.6, in Control Panel > Portal, we found Users, User Groups, Organizations, Communities, Site Templates, Page Templates and Roles. Now (I assume), in LR 6.1, there are Users, User Groups, Organizations, Sites, Site Templates, Page Templates and Roles. Have I got that right that "Communities" has been renamed to "Sites"? I suspect so, but I don't see the point. Can anybody shed a bit of light there?

Assuming that "Communities" now are called "Sites": I'm really hazy about the german translation of "Site". Since it occurs in a lot of language-strings, I'd rather be sure of what to call them before starting with the translation. The current automatic translation ("Aufstellungsorte") really is an automatic one -- in the context of social networking or the web in general it conveys no meaning to any German. At best, it makes him laugh while WTF'ing. So: Which german word best represents what's meant with "Site"?

• "Seiten" -- not a "correct" translation (lit.: pages); still, "website" is commonly translated with "Webseiten" -- biggest negative argument: conflicts with the already used "Page" ("Seite")
  • Gemeinschaft -- literal translation of "community". Deprecated in LR?
  • Kreise -- (lit.: circles) too Google-Plus-y?
  • Gruppen -- (lit.: groups) conflicts with "User Groups"
  • Gebiet -- (lit. site, area, sector, ...) despite being one translation of "site", it carries more the meaning of "area"
  • Domäne -- (lit. domain) conflicts with the notion of an "internet domain"
  • Sphäre -- (lit. sphere) Although the meaning would match, the word is used very sparsely (mostly in math) ... anyone would first ask "what should that be?"

So, I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions, anyone?
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: Translation of "Community"/"Site" to german (Respuesta)

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6400 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Dave,

Indeed this is not a changed translation, but a changed implementation. Liferay 6.1 doesn't distinguish between communities and organizations as the entities to have pages. Instead, it's only "sites". An organization is more or less a group of users. They can, but don't need to, have a site. And, you have missed this above, Liferay 6.1 will have "Users and Organizations" in one entry in ControlPanel. This demonstrates what Organizations have turned into.

You can take a look at Jorge's blog post for a more detailed explanation.

I personally somehow prefer to stay with "Site" in the german translation as well, we'll see if somebody has other opinions or better translations here. At least the background for the change should now be clear.
thumbnail
Dave Kliczbor, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: Translation of "Community"/"Site" to german

Olaf Kock:
I personally somehow prefer to stay with "Site" in the german translation as well, we'll see if somebody has other opinions or better translations here. At least the background for the change should now be clear.

Thanks, Olaf, that was indeed helpful. And I agree with you. "Site" would convey most of the intended meaning to any German who's allowed to call himself a web administrator. It would also help navigating the german control panel while only referring to english documentation.

As long as nobody finds a better alternative, I'll stick with "Site" too.
Maximilian Butterer, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 31 Fecha de incorporación: 14/05/10 Mensajes recientes
Hello Dave,

'Aufstellungsort' is indeed a automatic translation and not really German but a nice try emoticon
To find a proper translation for 'site' in this context isn't easy, especially if you don't want to use English words in your German translation
(which would be OK in this context, since everthing related to the internet is full of English words even in German)
Anyway:

My consideration was about "Bereich" (like 'area') but this is in German not meaningful enough. Maybe "Portalbereich" since every
community/organisation have their own area/scope in the portal surrounding.

Maybe some others have more ideas
Cheers
thumbnail
Dave Kliczbor, modificado hace 11 años.

Let's keep it at "Site". Every webadmin and -developer in germany would understand this.