Foros de discusión

Low-Level API Documentation ?

Guenter Baumgart, modificado hace 12 años.

Low-Level API Documentation ?

Regular Member Mensajes: 119 Fecha de incorporación: 27/01/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi,
is there a low-level documentation (classes,etc...) ? Or is that part of the EE ?
There are for sure lots of docs about how to make portlets,etc... but I couldn't find an API doc for creating pages, users, webcontent, etc.
G
thumbnail
Jan Gregor, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: Low-Level API Documentation ?

Regular Member Mensajes: 224 Fecha de incorporación: 20/10/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi there,

Have you tried to download the latest API Javadoc ? I know, that the current one should have a lot of comments inside, although the code coverage is still not 100 %.

Regards,
Jan.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6403 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Look at the source code for sevencogs-hook. This demonstrates in easy-to-read code exactly what you asked for. Better than documentation IMHO

Regular Member Mensajes: 119 Fecha de incorporación: 27/01/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

thanks a lot. The Java-API docs are quite thin, isn't ?
I imported however at the end the entire trunk into Enterprise Architect which allows a sort of reverse engineering due the import. It shows the relations between the classes in diagrams etc..

I created then also call graphs with Doxygen to get an idea whats going inside. Well, I can upload the entire docs for public use if somebody wants. Its indeed a time saver for newbies like us.

Is there a reason why this enterprise like project has almost no docs in the source code ? Do I need an EE ?
g
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
I don't think you'll be getting better documentation with EE now. By "low-level" are you referring to generated classes also. Liferay only have javadocs on api's that should be used and doesn't have for those that shouldn't. I have to agree the javadoc still doesn't contain too much useful description of the api but have to say it is getting better. I think people are working on add description now.

Can you provide explicit name of the class you're referring to.

Hi,
thanks again !

By low level docs I am talking about a few simple diagrams which show in short all the dependencies, sub-classings and sub-systems of Liferay. In many cases I am also missing behavioural and sequence diagrams, especially the servlet filters were not easy to understand and it took me weeks to get an idea whats going on under the hood. Also package overviews are missing btw.

It was a bit a suprising that this kind docs are not done in such a huge project. Usually we do documentation before implementation, especially when doing API's. I can highly recommend Enterprise-Architect. More or less we did such docs for LR, just to understand it better. We can share our doc-repo as well, if somebody wants too.

g
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
That would be great if you can share your documentation with us. Can you create some wiki pages to post you documents?