Foros de discusión

RE: OpenXava 4.3: Rapid Development of Liferay applications

thumbnail
Javier Paniza, modificado hace 12 años.

OpenXava 4.3: Rapid Development of Liferay applications

Junior Member Mensajes: 36 Fecha de incorporación: 25/08/09 Mensajes recientes
OpenXava is a framework for Rapid Development of Liferay applications, well-suited for business and database oriented applications.
OpenXava allows you develop applications just by writing simple domain classes with Java or Groovy. The user interface is generated automatically in runtime, without code generation.

OpenXava 4.3 adds support for total properties in collections, it has a new editor for HTML_TEXT stereotype, add info and warning messages and some other useful new features. Read the complete announcement in OpenXava site:
http://www.openxava.org/web/guest/blog/openxava-4.3-released
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Javier Paniza:
OpenXava is a framework for Rapid Development of Liferay applications, well-suited for business and database oriented applications.
OpenXava allows you develop applications just by writing simple domain classes with Java or Groovy. The user interface is generated automatically in runtime, without code generation.

OpenXava 4.3 adds support for total properties in collections, it has a new editor for HTML_TEXT stereotype, add info and warning messages and some other useful new features. Read the complete announcement in OpenXava site:
http://www.openxava.org/web/guest/blog/openxava-4.3-released

Have to check it!

Seems great.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Juan, have you checked this? What do you think?
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Well, I couldn't tested it. Seems powerful, but perhaps too complex. Here it's an overview and documentation about it:

I like this other framework perhaps a bit more:

http://www.xmlportletfactory.org/

because is more "Liferay friendly", uses only Liferay tools (Service Builder, Search Container, etc), and is compatible with Liferay 6.1

I like the way of generating CRUD apps using XML as XmlPortletFactory does.

One thing I miss is enabling workflow for this.

Here is a video tutorial for simple project in xmlportletfactory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtSt3y-IUM&context=C4abe52aADvjVQa1PpcFPIHlVuITqYaM-oKcnLiTdv9klJL386QiY=

IThat's my opinion.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Thanks. Got the same impression. I usually have to tune the tool for Japanese users and tools that'll do too much usually require more of my time to customize and maintain.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez P, modificado hace 11 años.

Hitoshi Ozawa:
Thanks. Got the same impression. I usually have to tune the tool for Japanese users and tools that'll do too much usually require more of my time to customize and maintain.

Yep, some frameworks require doin everything "as they want", and you can't almost modify anything wherever you want. If the framework becomes obsolete, then you're lost, and you have been learning to a fixed /non-standard way of developing.

I've seen a war example generated by XmlPortletFactory here:

http://www.xmlportletfactory.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=7de6ac5b-65b9-40de-8e2c-d968405c797c&groupId=10157

and everything seems 100% liferay friendly. You can modify this without having to learn anything new.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Have you guys taken a look at Vaadin yet for portlet development?

We've been doing a lot of stuff w/ Vaadin recently, and it's really working out great. No javascript or html to worry about, supports locales, and can leverage all of the liferay tools/services...
thumbnail

Tried it. Vaadin doesn't have a good I18N support yet. I was getting exceptions when I tried to use localized formats. It's going to take some time to fix these.
thumbnail
Javier Paniza, modificado hace 11 años.

Hi Hitoshi,

I don't know about Japanese, but people from China are using OpenXava with success, in fact the reference guide is in Chinese and the i18n files of OpenXava core include Chinese and Russian languages.
See this thread from OpenXava forum:
Character encoding problem (no latin text) in OpenXava forum
thumbnail
Javier Paniza, modificado hace 11 años.

Hi Juan,

if XmlPortletFactory likes you maybe the next thing would be interesting for you:
http://openxava.wikispaces.com/introduction-xml_en

Yes, OpenXava allows you to create applications using only XML.

OpenXava supports the latest Liferay versions, moreover OpenXava applications are backward compatible until Liferay 4.3, and you can use also other JSR-168/286 portals as WebSphere Portal from IBM.
Furthermore, OpenXava has x10 more downloads than XmlPortlets y una importante comunidad de habla hispana.

Cheers